question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

maxgamer

question

Post by maxgamer »

i dont have internet on my laptop and was wondering if i could get ad ons by using my flash drive. thx
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I think your best solution may be getting the add-ons via http://wolff.to/campaigns/list.html

Be sure you read up on where exactly they need to be placed. If you don't have any add-ons already, you might need to create some folders.
cool evil

Re: question

Post by cool evil »

maxgamer wrote:i dont have internet on my laptop and was wondering if i could get ad ons by using my flash drive. thx
What do you mean by that?

If you have another computer that has internet on it you can download the add-ons onto the flash drive then copy them into your labtop. Otherwise you're doomed.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

cool evil wrote:
maxgamer wrote:i dont have internet on my laptop and was wondering if i could get ad ons by using my flash drive. thx
What do you mean by that?

If you have another computer that has internet on it you can download the add-ons onto the flash drive then copy them into your labtop. Otherwise you're doomed.
Unless he has a flash drive with a built-in monitor and a modem. :wink:
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Obviously, given his post on this online forum, he has access to at least one computer with internet, from which he can download the campaigns from the above server and then transfer them manually.
Campaigns should be placed in /Wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns. The wiki contains a far more detailed description about placing/naming files, folders, and directories.
hey.
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

Darth Jordius wrote:
cool evil wrote: What do you mean by that?

Unless he has a flash drive with a built-in monitor and a modem. :wink:
:shock: I want one of those...

In this case, its actualy possible to run Wesnoth itself off of a flash drive (if it has enough memory) or any other removable device (again, provided they have the memory). You need a computer to play them though. I suppose the only difference between any removable drive and the hard drive of a computer is the fact that they can be removed and the hard drive *usualy* has more memory.

Anyone wondering how to do that, its actualy quite simple. Just install the game into the directory of the drive. :eng:
(NOTE: you can burn the game onto a CD, however you may not be able to save games, or add new add-ons :wink: )
"The ability to speak does not make you intelegent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Kestenvarn wrote:This is not a faction.
This is not even trying to be a faction.
maxgamer

Post by maxgamer »

thank you all, i was pretty sure i could download them onto my flashdrive from a PC at school (thats where i use the internet) and install or copy them to my laptop at home, but i wasn't sure.

but i do have another question, actually two. once i get the campains on my flash drive what do i do, just plug the thing in and press a button? im guessing its not that easy, i think i have to place them in a file somewhere but i dont know where and how to access that file.

the second question is about the wesnoth 1.3 or whatever it is. can i update the game to 1.3 the same way or do i have to install it as a new game? thanks for the suggestions and i really enjoy this game and would like to extend its life by getting more campains n such.
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

Assuming your using windows here, but you should place them in this directory (if you didn't change the directory when you installed {i.e. you just pressed "next" until it started})

C:/program files/wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns/
"The ability to speak does not make you intelegent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Kestenvarn wrote:This is not a faction.
This is not even trying to be a faction.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

It depends on what kind of computer you use: Mac, Windows, or Linux. If you are on a Mac, the files go in User_Home(or whatever you named it)>Library>Preferences>Wesnoth>data>campaigns. If you are on a Windows or Linux, I can't help you, sorry.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
maxgamer

Post by maxgamer »

yea, im using windows xp
MCISME
maxgamer

Post by maxgamer »

yea, i just pressed next next finish as always since im not particularly computer wise. so i go to my computer then this route and i should be fine?C:/program files/wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns/

cool thats great, now what about updating it to 1.3? should i just download it to my flash drive and install it to my laptop?
MCISME
bouy1o9

help!

Post by bouy1o9 »

what is the server used to get new campaigns?