Where have the clans gone?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ubertuna-1

Where have the clans gone?

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Hello everybody. I am posting this mainly so that I can get an answer to a question I have been pondering for a while now. What has happened to all of the user clans in Wesnoth? There used to be a bunch, HGK, CS, MAD, n3t, etc. Nowdays I have only see one HGK member on the server and maybe a couple of n3ts. Not to mention my own clan, UT, which used to have about 10 members on regularly, now I only see 3 UTs plus myself on the server. I originally thought that they had all gone to the dev server, until I heard somebody say that only 10 people play on there. If anybody has any theories about what has happened to our clans, please post here.

Thanks,
UT_Autsen.
How to keep a dummy occupied:
Read below.

Read above.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where have the clans gone?

Post by Ken_Oh »

ubertuna-1 wrote:If anybody has any theories about what has happened to our clans, please post here.
Clans are worthless.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Simply wesnoth is not a game for the kind of people that like to create clans, they get bored earlier or later.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Aside from the n3t clan, which is simply a note saying 'I won't join all your games, don't invite me into 3-team games' teams do nothing productive, are generally habituated by noobs, and get annoying with their attempts at recruiting. If you want a group of friends to play together, you don't need a clan, you just need to find some friends.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

I don't even recognize those clan acronyms, except n3t.
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Where they belong.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Ken Oh wrote:Clans are worthless.
I don't think so. I agree with most people, Wesnoth clans are different then warcraft clans and that same genre of clan where you have clanwars etc. In my mind a clan in wesnoth is just an organized group of people that are friends and/or share the same interests.
Read below.

Read above.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

ubertuna-1 wrote:In my mind a clan in wesnoth is just an organized group of people that are friends and/or share the same interests.
That's a very good description. And it immediately leads to another question: What is the purpose of a clan other than to give such a group a name?

Many people say "there is no other purpose, so we don't really need it". And i tend to agree. To find people that share the same interests is a matter of your behaviour and not dependent of a clan name.

The only thing i can see is that a clan name might make you find those people faster. But then we maybe shouldn't call it a clan. I like your definition of a clan, however i fear that it is not commonly adopted. That's why a clan regularly seems to attract the wrong people :wink: .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Yeah I acctually started my clan when some of the other clans, such as HGK, had many members on the server. My clan was orriginally made for doing the clan wars etc. but when most of the clans... died off... my clan became what I mentioned before, a group of friends with a name and a website.
Read below.

Read above.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Clans were beaten by Konrad in HttT, that's why you don't see much of them here :P :wink:
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Weeksy wrote:Aside from the n3t clan, which is simply a note saying 'I won't join all your games, don't invite me into 3-team games' teams do nothing productive, are generally habituated by noobs, and get annoying with their attempts at recruiting. If you want a group of friends to play together, you don't need a clan, you just need to find some friends.
Well, that and the NF (No Fog) clan.

And Wesnoth indeed isn't really a game of clans. Clans never really lasted, except for the NF and N3T clans.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Never even heard of the NF clan. Most people know about n3t through its presence on the forums. I don't see many n3ts on the server.
Read below.

Read above.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

ubertuna-1 wrote:Never even heard of the NF clan. Most people know about n3t through its presence on the forums. I don't see many n3ts on the server.
Those two were the only ones that I've heard of that seemed to have any staying power, really... maybe because of the well-defined purpose beyond the secret club handshake.

:P
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Kestenvarn wrote:
ubertuna-1 wrote:Never even heard of the NF clan. Most people know about n3t through its presence on the forums. I don't see many n3ts on the server.
Those two were the only ones that I've heard of that seemed to have any staying power, really... maybe because of the well-defined purpose beyond the secret club handshake.

:P
If you looked at our site you would have seen that our clan has purpose too. Here is a quote from our website:

"I would like to welcome all members and other people and give a breif overview of UT's views. We support the environment and beleive the earth should be preserved for those that live on this planet in the future. We also do not like polotics in general because it screws up relationships."

The difference is that the purpose of the n3t and NF clans lies within wesnoth. UTs purpose is about something outside of wesnoth. Something very improtant in the real world.
Read below.

Read above.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Is that a royal we, or a collective we?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.