Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Laudimir wrote:(...) More money to the devs!
Did you actually read this thread?

Most of the devs/contributers have either an indifferent or negative opinion about that subjects unless the money is for a specific purpose like hosting a server.

Collecting money for the devs private valet for contributing to this project is a bad idea imho. Some devs go, new will come and some may stay forever. They contribute to this project because they like to, have the time and have fun doing so. It is a healthy community as it is now and I can hardly believe that money will any positive effects here - It is far from it.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Laudimir

Post by Laudimir »

I did indeed read it. I am expressing my own opinion, and since it is an opinion it shouldn't be dependent on anyone else's [opinion].

As to the "more money to the devs!" quote, it was more of a joke than anything else. I suppose sarcasm is somewhat lost here.

The devs do not have to accept any money, if it is available, regardless. And, ads would not hurt anyone, anyway.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Sarcasm translates very bad over the internet.
I don't know why but it happens all the time.

To me too. :roll:
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Really? I'd have never guessed it. I wonder why?

I'm actually OK with the idea. Google ads aren't all that intrusive at all.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Changeling

Post by Changeling »

Shadow wrote:Sarcasm translates very bad over the internet.
I don't know why but it happens all the time.

To me too. :roll:
I know this is a little off-topic, but this is a study about just that.

I also agree with the vast majority of others supporting this idea for funding, but I would like to see it on the bottom of the page instead of the top. Could that be an option given in the profile?
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

I agree with freim:
Ads would be acceptable if there was an imminent need for money. Otherwise I don't really like the idea (No matter if you can disable the ads or not).

Trying to get neccessary hardware/money by donations should remain the preferred way.
Aurë entuluva!
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

mog wrote: ...

Trying to get neccessary hardware/money by donations should remain the preferred way.
To be at the peoples mercy is of course the best way.
I agree contributions in art, code, music, ideas (not in that order OK) could be compared to this.
On the other side you just give time not money so you are not paying for it. That's a big difference.

If the evil capitalism spends some bucks for the good case why not it is not a damned pact with the devil.

So I actual can't understand most prejudices if someone could explain it to me?
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

On the sarcasm thing-

I sometimes think that the english language needs a written expression of sarcasm. Maybe some kind of symbol or something.

I wonder what it would look like.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

as long as the ads are not popups/unders and not freaking blinkings gifs, I am ok with it. It really depends on the amount of ads... but a single one or two won't hurt.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, people have been saying that the ads have already been added, but, um, I don't see any. :? They're in the upper-right-hand corner, right? What I see there is a Google search box with a choice

Code: Select all

Google [                             ] [Search]
         [x] Web [ ] www.wesnoth.org
And it's the same every time.

Anyone have an explanation?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Isn't THAT the ad?
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Konrad II wrote:Isn't THAT the ad?
That's the ad? Why the heck would Google pay money for that? I can imagine adding it to a website just because it's useful. And I thought google ads were rotating, or random, or something...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

turin wrote:Anyone have an explanation?
Yes.

Your adblocker has a filter with :

Code: Select all

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/*
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

turin wrote:
Konrad II wrote:Isn't THAT the ad?
That's the ad? Why the heck would Google pay money for that? I can imagine adding it to a website just because it's useful. And I thought google ads were rotating, or random, or something...
Don't know, Google is weird enough to make things like that.
So that's not the ad? I suppose i have it blocked. What is it exactly? I don't have any adblocker
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK then. I guess firefox blocks Google ads automatically, I sure didn't do anything to set up adblocking.
The World of Orbivm