Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

elricz

Post by elricz »

I don't mind the ads; it is nice to have a site ad-free, but if it helps to the project go for it.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I am indifferent to the subject, as my browser blocks advertising anyways.
tsr

Post by tsr »

I do mind the ads (but then again I'm fiercily opposed to all kinds of advertisment as it is one of the most evil things about todays capitalism).

I still think that the adopting I proposed is far better.

But then again while we're thinking about advertisement, we might as well do it right. Let me present to you the cokeserker:

/tsr

ps. mad props for those who actually do real sprites for the game, I spent 1hour + doing this recoloring animation.
Attachments
the cokeserker, billing coca-cola 1 cent per view :)
the cokeserker, billing coca-cola 1 cent per view :)
cokeserker.gif (15.86 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

im sure most interested in this would be other fantasy games. you should be careful about this, if you advertise a game too similar (eg Disciples 3), some people might leave wesnoth for it ;)
Dare2

Post by Dare2 »

Ads are okay. As long as you can find the content in among the ads. :D

Would they work, though? Would AdSense attract potential new members to other gaming sites? And who are you targeting? Regulars or new/casual visitors? And what are the ratios between them?

Regardless, if it helps keep wesnoth going then that is great as this is one of the better free games around in playability and presentation.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I'd rather you started with a scattering of 'donate' links and see how much revenue that gets you. It might be sufficient. I'd suspect web pags ads may not work so well here given the high proportion of tech-savvy users who know how to block them. Just on this thread, there's a significant proportion of people saying, 'no problem, my computer blocks them anyway'.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Google Adsense's ads seem to be the only kind that never annoys me enough to smash the screen with a book. Go ahead, if this will improve Wesnoth development by using that money to buy resources such as hardware, graphical design software, etc. 8)

And for those who use the almighty Firefox, there's the Adblock plugin for versions 1.5 and later, just discovered the other day. It blocks virtually every ad. What I'm not really sure about is whether that decreases the income or not.

BTW, I always wondered why you don't have donation buttons in the main page or project page.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

Well if it reduces the income, you can always disable it when you enter Wesnoth's page. It isn't a bad solution right? I second the idea. It's a sort of reward for Wesnoth.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

ads

Post by jb »

I work in advertising. It pays my bills. This is the best idea I've ever heard. Ever. ;)
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

theotherhiveking wrote:Well if it reduces the income, you can always disable it when you enter Wesnoth's page. It isn't a bad solution right? I second the idea. It's a sort of reward for Wesnoth.
You can configure Adblock to add http://www.wesnoth.org as an exception for which no ads shall be blocked.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I say go for it. Money is good after all.
i recommend finding out what turin uses on the Orbvim forums- it isn't blocked, as it is just some links and underlying text above and below the actual forum display- very non-irritating, likely very hard to block.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
tsr

Re: ads

Post by tsr »

IHateMyJob_jb wrote:I work in advertising. It pays my bills. This is the best idea I've ever heard. Ever. ;)
:D

/tsr - sry for the OT spam, just couldn't resist
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Melbourne wrote:You should let people know your running costs (a rough idea of what each bill costs), because sometimes people will come up with the cash you need to pay for a certain item.
Actually at the moment there are no 'running costs'. We use any finances we get to give to developers who need new equipment.

However, we might consider paying for hosting of some services in the future, so there may be some running costs in the future.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

unsung wrote: i recommend finding out what turin uses on the Orbvim forums- it isn't blocked, as it is just some links and underlying text above and below the actual forum display- very non-irritating, likely very hard to block.
We want to make the advertisements 'non-irritating', but we don't want to make them hard to block. In fact, you won't have to block them -- there'll be a simple link where you can say "don't show me any advertisements ever again" and we won't show you any more advertisements.

I figure most people don't mind there being an unobtrusive advertisement or two on a page they view. For those people who do mind, I'd rather just make them happy than try to squeeze extra pennies out of them.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I think we shouldn't consider advertisement before exhausting all relevant options for free hosting.