Using copyright names and ideas in games...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

multilis

Using copyright names and ideas in games...

Post by multilis »

Would it be ok to have a senario Middle Earth, with guys like Gandalf and Frodo (taken from a famous book) running around?

Would it be ok to have a forum with guys offically called Sith (taken from copyright movie star wars) running around?

:wink:
Freighter

Post by Freighter »

i don't think so as copyright protects people from profiting off others idea's.
and wesnoth is free :D . they can't sue you unless you are selling your campaign for profit.
Wesnoth Acronym Guide
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothAcronyms

This link is here for my own purposes. But feel free to use it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Nothing official at all about my title. But no, you cannot make a LotR campaign. Not here, at least.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

1) WIN (Wesnoth Is Not -- LoTR, Warcraft, etc.)

2) COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!!!!

3) NO :!: :!: :!:
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

You can make it, you can just never put it on the add-on server or the forums, or ask any of us for any help with it. Ever.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
gabe

Post by gabe »

Tolkien died on Sept 2 1973

so in 2043 this will be allowed
but not untill then

current literature copyright law is 70 years after author death or after 95 for corporate authorship

have you heard of google?
it makes learning things like this easy
happy timezone traveler
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Re: Using copyright names and ideas in games...

Post by Becephalus »

multilis wrote:Would it be ok to have a senario Middle Earth, with guys like Gandalf and Frodo (taken from a famous book) running around?

Would it be ok to have a forum with guys offically called Sith (taken from copyright movie star wars) running around?
You certainly can make a campaign with copyrighted material. No one is going to stop you. Although I believe it is the policy of the boards to not allow in depth discussion of making copyrighted content into Wesnoth add-ons.

Which I think is a little draconian and is definitely overly-alarmist, but they are not my boards so it doesn't matter what I think. :)
gabe wrote:Tolkien died on Sept 2 1973

so in 2043 this will be allowed
but not untill then

current literature copyright law is 70 years after author death or after 95 for corporate authorship

have you heard of google?
it makes learning things like this easy
To be honest something like a video game adaptation is going to fall under fair use unless you are trying to sell it. And even if you were they generally don't care unless you are making a lot money (in which case they can grab a piece of it).
Last edited by Becephalus on May 24th, 2007, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

:/

HOMM2 has got LOTR campaigns. HOMM3 has got LOTR campaigns. HOMM4 has got LOTR campaigns. AOW has got LOTR campaigns. AOW2 has got LOTR campaigns.

and im pretty sure lots of other games have got LOTR campaigns.

its not that strict that it would certainly result in lots of lawyers at your doorstep. but yea, better be over-cautious than take a risk for no reason. for example, i could bet a Macbeth campaign would be completely allowed to make :D
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

Syntax_Error wrote::/

HOMM2 has got LOTR campaigns. HOMM3 has got LOTR campaigns. HOMM4 has got LOTR campaigns. AOW has got LOTR campaigns. AOW2 has got LOTR campaigns.

Maybe they payed the rights for them.
If you get an agreement with the person that has the rights for something, you can use that "something" for your own purpose. :wink:
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Teh Answer:
"If I was the forum sith I would have moved this immediately to Game Dev. forum"

No, wait, that's not the answer.

Da Big Answer:
"The GNU GPL is very clear on this subject."

About the answer of the person above, AFAIK, LOTR's rights are owned by Tolkien's son.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Herduk wrote:
Syntax_Error wrote::/

Maybe they payed the rights for them.
no, i mean fanmade campaigns.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Yes there are, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with this game and the rules surrounding mods and campaigns for it.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Shadow Master wrote:About the answer of the person above, AFAIK, LOTR's rights are owned by Tolkien's son.
so all we gotta do is kill Tolkien's son and wait 70 years :roll: who wants to take the job?
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

Parodies are protected speech, so you could make a humorous spoof of LotR, where all the people of high status are incompetent and all the plot elements are turned into some kind of social commentary.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.