Suggestion about leveling

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gus

Suggestion about leveling

Post by Gus »

This has been floating around on my desktop for some time, so maybe the idea's been proposed in the meanwhile, in which case feel free to shoot it down =)

So, quite simply, what i propose would be an option for a unit to use its level-up to gain an AMLA instead of climbing a level.
Among other things, what it does is eliminate the need for RIPLIB-compliant advancements, since the player does have the option of keeping a unit as effective as it was, plus the bonus from "AMLA" (which would require another name). This could potentially mean less units in the tree, since a few wouldn't be needed any more (the Javelineer comes to mind). As a tactical option, chosing this would mean not paying an extra gold per turn, and not (or nearly not) increasing the XP to advance another level (i.e. if a unit needed 20 XP to advance from level 1 to level 2, and chose an "AMLA" instead of leveling, it would need 20 XP, or 22, or 25, not the amount the level 2 would need).

Opinions, comments, and criticism welcome, obviously.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

When a unit gets "leveled" during another unit's attack, the lack of control would become extra annoying.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Gus

Post by Gus »

Sorry, what do you mean exactly ? I don't understand the situation you describe.
TL

Post by TL »

In network games, if a unit gets leveled when it's not your turn, you don't get an option to choose between different possible advancements, it just automatically gives you a random one. So it would suck if you had a unit 1 XP away from leveling, then the enemy takes their turn and attacks it and it gets +3 HP instead of advancing.

Plus I'm not really sure why it would be an advantage to have less units in the tree (javelineers are awesome!)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Ok, i see. Too bad this "feature" is still around.

As for limiting the number of units in the tree, the fact is, some units are obviously there ONLY to comply with RIPLIB. But even without removing any unit, i still think it could add strategic depth.

Is it worth discussing the concept, setting aside the technical limitation of leveling-during-opponent's-turn ?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Gus wrote:Ok, i see. Too bad this "feature" is still around.

if I'm not mistaken, this might become a meta thread.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Troy wrote:
Gus wrote:Ok, i see. Too bad this "feature" is still around.

if I'm not mistaken, this might become a meta thread.
You are mistaken.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Please forgive me, but I fail to see the point of your message, Troy. I was not attempting to create a thread on said feature, i'm aware this has been discussed elsewhere, i just am not aware of how it was resolved, if it was.

That being said, i specifically added, at the end of my message, that i would like to have some comments on the concept, regardless of its (current) impracticability. Let's stick to that and avoid meta-ing any thread ;)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

This would make sense if the AMLA was actually worth anything.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Gus

Post by Gus »

In my mind, the "AMLA" i'm talking about would need a re-haul. Things like +HP, +dmg, +res, and so on, and maybe also some abilities.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

that have been posted lots of loads of millions of time,DAVE have his own thread about this too

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9448
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Apologies, but judging from the original post by Dave in the thread you linked, this is only remotely linked to what i proposed. Dave's explorations of "interesting" AMLA would be used in conjunction with the proposal i presented in the original post, but the two things are very different.