My "worst unit" award

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Radament

Post by Radament »

yeah, makes sense.

the least zealous muslim is the pope.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

No, the worst archer would be the unit which is the worst at ranged combat. Since you're including units without ranged attacks (which I think is stupid, but whatever), there are plenty of other units which don't have ranged offense as well, and thus the worst archer then becomes the unit with the worst ranged defense. Heavy Infantry are very good at surviving.

The worst archer would thus be the Ulfserker, probably.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Lord Sturt

Post by Lord Sturt »

If there had to be a "Worst Caster" award I think the DA or Augur would win, not the magi who own in day-time and whose attack is only really weak against Drakes...(as far as I know, haven't played wesnoth for ages... :? )
<insert war-related/prophetic/evil quote here>
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

*Sigh* This is why they don't let me carry a firearm.

By the way, the worst archer is the Walking Corpse.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

...You just ranked the Mage above both the Dark Adept and the Augur?

If you're talking about how they level up, I can understand that the Augur isn't quite as good, but it still owns a Mage. Better defense, decent damage, better melee, better movement, and healing for a unit that's cheaper than a Mage. And if you want powerful high-level units, the Dark Adept levels wonderfully well.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

PingPangQui wrote: HI (Heavy Infrantry) has the worst movetype combined with with very little mp, low defense and does 0-0 ranged damage and 0-0 magical damage. Which makes him at least a really bad archer, a really bad caster and definitely the worst scout.
According to that logic, the worst scout would be the tower.

Really, though I think the worst scout units are the ones with worse movement than the others. Being good in combat is useful, but for a scout it's not as important as better movement. The bat is actually one of my favorite scout units, because it moves very quickly over virtually all terrain. (Gryphon riders move very well too *and* can handle a little combat, so of course they're better.)

If there's any kind of adverse terrain (water, mountains, a cave, ...), the loyalist and rebel scout units don't move well enough to function as scouts at all, and you end up using other units as scouts, that were not intended for that role -- mermen, dwarvish fighters, or whatever you've got that can handle the terrain. Gryphon riders only really have one weak terrain type, namely caves, so they're *usually* good, and if bats have a terrain they can't handle I'm not aware of it, but the elvish scout is weak on enough different types of terrain that he's *frequently* not worth recruiting.

As for the heavy infantry, it is reasonably good in certain scenarios. Admittedly, they don't move well enough to be useful in most situations, but if you really need to *hold* a position, they sure can take a couple of hits. The three loyal HI in TROW come in *really* handy.

But yes, on the whole I would say that trolls and woses are more useful.
Elvish_Star

Re: My "worst unit" award

Post by Elvish_Star »

Just a few things you may have forgotten
Beholder wrote: Worst Scout - Bat

The bat is just too weak to have any value. He can die on a single round and, when helping finishing a weakened unit, can die in the process. Having the Ghost on the same faction doesn't help...
Except the ghost is level 1 vs a level 0 bat. The bat has a purpose : a cheap mobile unit that will grab villages instead of fighting. It fills this purpose perfectly.

Imagine you have a ghost grabbing villages for 6 turns (which is a very small amount of time) : it'll cost you 26 gold. A bat will do the same for 13 gold. So the bat is powerfull, especially on large maps. Here is an hint : the bat isn't meant to fight.
Beholder wrote: Worst Ranged - Drake BURNED (edited)

Now, I don't think the Clasher is a horrible unit, it just it's combination of high price and weakness to pierce which doesn't appeal me.
Highest ranged damage among lvl 1 units ? With a sexy damage type ? Doesn't match my definition of worse unit.
Beholder wrote: Worst Melee - Orcish Grunt

Again, I don't think it is terrible. But the lack of ranged make it look inferior to other factions counterparts. At least Dwarven Fighters are good versus Undead and resistant to some kind of damage.
Once again, the orc fills a purpose : providing cheap HP. A grunt's HP is a bargain for 12 gold. His hits aren't negligible at night either. I however agree that northerners lack high dmaage units, but both trolls and orcs provide meat for a solid defensive line.
Beholder wrote: Worst Caster - Mage

Too expensive, too hard to level. I only make then when I need to (i.e. to kill elusivefooties or ghosts)
21 magic damage, 30 at day ? mages can destroy almost everytithnig. they are difficult to use as you need to protect them from attacks. Taking hits is what elvish fichters or pikemen are meant to do.
Beholder wrote: SPECIAL Worst Tank - Heavy Infantary

This guy -never- is where is supposed to be. Sometimes, a unit 2 hexagons always is inacessible. To make things worse, he is vulnerable to fire and ice, making one of the easier to tanks to kill. To complete the deal, a price tag of 20.
Heavy infantry is there to make bones (especially skeletons). It's a devastating unit against undead. Not a generic purpose unit, but there are situations where HI is worth it. Otherwise, good luck trying to pinch skeletons with pikemen.
Beholder

Re: My "worst unit" award

Post by Beholder »

Elvish_Star wrote:Just a few things you may have forgotten
Beholder wrote: Worst Scout - Bat

The bat is just too weak to have any value. He can die on a single round and, when helping finishing a weakened unit, can die in the process. Having the Ghost on the same faction doesn't help...
Except the ghost is level 1 vs a level 0 bat. The bat has a purpose : a cheap mobile unit that will grab villages instead of fighting. It fills this purpose perfectly.

Imagine you have a ghost grabbing villages for 6 turns (which is a very small amount of time) : it'll cost you 26 gold. A bat will do the same for 13 gold. So the bat is powerfull, especially on large maps. Here is an hint : the bat isn't meant to fight.
Beholder wrote: Worst Ranged - Drake BURNED (edited)

Now, I don't think the Clasher is a horrible unit, it just it's combination of high price and weakness to pierce which doesn't appeal me.
Highest ranged damage among lvl 1 units ? With a sexy damage type ? Doesn't match my definition of worse unit.
Beholder wrote: Worst Melee - Orcish Grunt

Again, I don't think it is terrible. But the lack of ranged make it look inferior to other factions counterparts. At least Dwarven Fighters are good versus Undead and resistant to some kind of damage.
Once again, the orc fills a purpose : providing cheap HP. A grunt's HP is a bargain for 12 gold. His hits aren't negligible at night either. I however agree that northerners lack high dmaage units, but both trolls and orcs provide meat for a solid defensive line.
Beholder wrote: Worst Caster - Mage

Too expensive, too hard to level. I only make then when I need to (i.e. to kill elusivefooties or ghosts)
21 magic damage, 30 at day ? mages can destroy almost everytithnig. they are difficult to use as you need to protect them from attacks. Taking hits is what elvish fichters or pikemen are meant to do.
Beholder wrote: SPECIAL Worst Tank - Heavy Infantary

This guy -never- is where is supposed to be. Sometimes, a unit 2 hexagons always is inacessible. To make things worse, he is vulnerable to fire and ice, making one of the easier to tanks to kill. To complete the deal, a price tag of 20.
Heavy infantry is there to make bones (especially skeletons). It's a devastating unit against undead. Not a generic purpose unit, but there are situations where HI is worth it. Otherwise, good luck trying to pinch skeletons with pikemen.
The way you put, there is no worst unit, all of then are wonderful and perfect.

I will talk only about the HI, but between building a mage or a HI versus skeletons, I know my choice.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I think the damage should have more emphasis than other things that come in the package. The others come in as well... I just don't make as big of a deal about them. I don't think price is a boundary either, besides you're looking for the worst, regardless of price right?
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Worst unit in the game: The bat. It's rather underpowered, and not really worth buying for the faction that uses it. Buying more than one is a complete waste, and buying even one is a very debatable decision.

I'd welcome a rebalance of this unit.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Jetryl wrote:Worst unit in the game: The bat. It's rather underpowered, and not really worth buying for the faction that uses it. Buying more than one is a complete waste, and buying even one is a very debatable decision.

I'd welcome a rebalance of this unit.
I would like to see it as a lvl 1 with swarm instead of drain and be a flock instea dof a single bat. I think it would be nice to work swarm into default somwhere and the bat is by far the most logical place.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

You don't really want this Bece, believe me.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.