Walking Corpses != zombies

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Walking Corpses != zombies

Post by irrevenant »

I recall a strong disinclination on these forums to refer to Walking Corpses as "zombies". But I just noticed the following dialogue in HttT Scenario 4a:

"Soon we shall have elven zombies serving us!"

P.S. Apologies if this is the wrong forum. If so, which is the right one!?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I think Walking Corpses are zombies but zombies might not necissarily be a Walking Corpses.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

True dat, true dat.
(Sorry, couldn't resist ;))
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
mrchadt

Post by mrchadt »

Here is a clip on youtube which states what a zombie is. Frankensteins monster was also a type of zombie. I think Alan Partridge says it better, see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJizBpKdJsc
no obligation
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Well WC's and Zombie's seem quite similar, they both are the living dead, and they both have a plague effect. I don't see a difference between them both.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

For me the Walking corpse is a particular type of zombie (Soulless is the other one).
So a walking corpse is a zombie, but a zombie is not necessarily a walking corpse.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Re: Walking Corpses != zombies

Post by Darth Fool »

irrevenant wrote:I recall a strong disinclination on these forums to refer to Walking Corpses as "zombies". But I just noticed the following dialogue in HttT Scenario 4a:

"Soon we shall have elven zombies serving us!"

P.S. Apologies if this is the wrong forum. If so, which is the right one!?
For what it is worth, the objection that you are remembering can at least be found here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 3177#13177

I personally don't care and think that calling them zombies is fine, but avoiding calling them zombies is also fine. The sentence could be changed to uses corpses instead of zombies and work equally well.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I, personally, feel that that said piece of dialogue works better when referring to them as zombies.

Just because Walking Corpse works better in a metagaming sense, doesn't mean that in-game dialogue between characters can't reflect the cultural or personal nuances of those characters.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Gafgarion wrote: Just because Walking Corpse works better in a metagaming sense, doesn't mean that in-game dialogue between characters can't reflect the cultural or personal nuances of those characters.
I concur.....and very eloquently put!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jetrel

Re: Walking Corpses != zombies

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:For what it is worth, the objection that you are remembering can at least be found here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 3177#13177

I personally don't care and think that calling them zombies is fine, but avoiding calling them zombies is also fine. The sentence could be changed to uses corpses instead of zombies and work equally well.
I always thought it was me that made some rag-out rant against that; which I found strange because I really don't care. (It was within the realm of possibility, because I do complain about minor etymological things like that.)

And it turns out it was francisco. Rofflez, plz. :P
Kamamura

Post by Kamamura »

I think that the term "Walking corpse" is still a bit more specific than the generic term "zombie".

In the fantasy lore, it seems that any living creature may be "zombified" via the use of necromancy. Undead pirates sure need such companions as zombie parrots, and there could be zombie vultures, eagles, and so on.

Though all these creatures are generally "zombies", they flap around more than walk (they are all undead birds, after all), so it would not be entirely precise to call them "Walking corpses". On the other hand, the term "flying corpse" could be also confusing, since it could mean various carcasses used as catapult ammunition in castle sieges - in other words, dead bodies propelled by other than their own (un|super)natural means.

I love discussions like this!
damagister

Post by damagister »

it depends if your referring to a folklore zombie or fantasy folklore speaks about someone being reanimated from the dead with no capability of thought and bound to serve his master by voodoo or you can take everyones favorite fantasy zombie being the rotting bodies animated by a necromancer to swarm down enemies and turn them into zombies.i can go on in description since i am an all time fan of hording zombies. but almost everyone sees zombie as a walking corpse so it doesn't really matter since ppl see them as one in the same
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't like the word zombie.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:I don't like the word zombie.
I don't like the sound of that either, it brings all sorts of wrong connotations to my mind. I like the name "walking corpse" a whole lot better, as it's more unique and sounds almost a bit funny (which is a good thing in this case), while it seems to avoid some common zombie connotations a bit better.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

turin wrote:I don't like the word zombie.
Zombie makes me think of shotguns and cricket bats. Walking Corpse makes me think of swords and axes.
Thus, while I have nothing against the word zombie per se, I think walking corpse is better for Wesnoth.

Why are we talking about this again...

This is Zhukov's 2000th post. Congrats, old boy.

-Maeglin the Black
Last edited by Zhukov on January 4th, 2007, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.