Dev Questions

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dreampilot

Dev Questions

Post by dreampilot »

I have a few questions piled up I haven't been able to find answers to in the wiki or on the board. Admittedly alot to look through.

#1 Can there be animated terrain in Wesnoth right now?
if yes I'd like details how to implement it in campaign scenarios.

#2 Is there a way to override Wesnoth icons like the leader-crown.png without replacing the original file at the root library? Again for campaign purposes. I have new cursors aswell. All space themed for Spacenoth.

#3 Is anyone skilled with WML able to explain adding forest terrain. Our terraintype with overlay like the tropical forest will not work properly and I am not good enough at terrain WML to know what is wrong.
(This is also added terrain in a campaign folder, it shows up great but the boarders get all wrong)

#4 is there support for standing animations and random idling animations already in the game?
If so what is the WML to add standing animations to your unit?

Any help is welcome.
Thanks
AT

Post by AT »

I can answer #4, since animations are what I've been working on for the past few days:

No in 1.2, yes in the next release. Used with standing_anim and idle_anim.

Actually, standing_anim may have made it into 1.2, but both are in the 1.3 branch.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Dev Questions

Post by zookeeper »

dreampilot wrote:#1 Can there be animated terrain in Wesnoth right now?
Yes, and it's really simple too (assuming that you know how to do custom terrains already).
dreampilot wrote:#2 Is there a way to override Wesnoth icons like the leader-crown.png without replacing the original file at the root library? Again for campaign purposes. I have new cursors aswell. All space themed for Spacenoth.
I'm not sure. It might be possible. I'll test it and post my results...

EDIT: Nope, I can't find a simple way to do it.
dreampilot wrote:#3 Is anyone skilled with WML able to explain adding forest terrain. Our terraintype with overlay like the tropical forest will not work properly and I am not good enough at terrain WML to know what is wrong.
(This is also added terrain in a campaign folder, it shows up great but the boarders get all wrong)
I'm not quite sure what's going wrong over there - I'd suggest starting a new thread about this in WML Workshop (remember to post your campaign's terrain .cfg's).
dreampilot wrote:#4 is there support for standing animations and random idling animations already in the game?
If so what is the WML to add standing animations to your unit?
Yes and no. There is support for standing and idle animations in trunk (standing animations maybe also in 1.2, I'm not 100% sure), so they'll be in the next 1.3.x release (somewhat shortly after 1.2 I'd guess). Even if the standing anim support is in 1.2 I'd strongly discourage using it, since there are great performance problems with it AFAIK.

And a slight correction to AT's post: the correct constructs are [standing_anim] and [idle_anim] (both go straight into [unit]).
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Great info. I'll stay away from standing and idling for now but I want the animated terrain to work.

I made a new thread in the WML forum
Spacenoth terrain issues
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Dev Questions

Post by ivanovic »

zookeeper wrote:
dreampilot wrote:#1 Can there be animated terrain in Wesnoth right now?
Yes, and it's really simple too (assuming that you know how to do custom terrains already).
Have a look at the third mission of the mainline campaign "Two Brothers". In that scenario a hex is animated as "magical gate". It works somehow like normal animations and should be self explaining.