wesnoth art in mmorpg

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

-wight-

wesnoth art in mmorpg

Post by -wight- »

not sure if this is old news but i found a mmorpg with wesnoth art in it. heres the link.

http://phantasyrpg.com/index.php?info=races#human
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Yup. We're aware of that. Since all Wesnoth's art is GPLed the artists have explicitly given permission for other projects to use it...
JW

Re: wesnoth art in mmorpg

Post by JW »

-wight- wrote:not sure if this is old news but i found a mmorpg with wesnoth art in it. heres the link.

http://phantasyrpg.com/index.php?info=races#human
Well now you can be sure.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

What I find entertaining is the clear delineation between their original art and the art they pinched from Wesnoth.

Everything else is vastly better quality than the hounzalid (at least until PhantasyRPG discover the Werewolves thread. :P).
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

irrevenant wrote:What I find entertaining is the clear delineation between their original art and the art they pinched from Wesnoth.

Everything else is vastly better quality than the hounzalid (at least until PhantasyRPG discover the Werewolves thread. :P).
That's if they beleive they need wesnoth, for all they know they might beleive they have surpassed wesnoth :P
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
halleck

Post by halleck »

Oreb wrote:
irrevenant wrote:What I find entertaining is the clear delineation between their original art and the art they pinched from Wesnoth.

That's if they beleive they need wesnoth, for all they know they might beleive they have surpassed wesnoth :P
Nothing can surpass wesnoth. It still looks retarted though... :wink:
If they wanted a good point and click "adventure" they should go play KOL. Ahhh.... I love that game.
--------------------
Holseff
Level 12
Flow Purloiner
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
appleide

Post by appleide »

I've always found this funny:
Named after the city in which they are from, the Eldron are a mysterious people. They have many odd skills, and can even speak in their own tongue.
Speak in my own tongue... Wow, amazing!!
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The dark side of GPL.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

They have taken quite old sprites, actually.... They must have taken them even before version 1
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Gomez

Post by Gomez »

Tux2B wrote:They have taken quite old sprites, actually.... They must have taken them even before version 1

Yeah, the elf is the one that was in the game when I played Wesnoth for the first time (that is between two and three years ago I don't remember), I didn't think I would see him again :)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Zhukov wrote:The dark side of GPL.
:) I know you jest but I say nay; the GPL results in a lot of derivative work (and outright copying) but it's all feeding the great melting pot from which the good stuff derives. eg. Someone playing Phantasy RPG may never have heard of Wesnoth but could take the "Phantasy RPG" art and do some great stuff with it...
Kel

Post by Kel »

Wow, the Hounzalids really do stand out there (not for good reasons).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

My one complaint with PhantasyRPG (and it is a major one) is that it is virtually impossible to discover, based on their website, that most of their graphics are GPLed. This is, I am fairly certain, a violation of the GPL, which they implicitly agreed to by using the images.

Though if you could point me to a page on their website that makes it clear that their stuff is GPLed, and show me how to get to it from the main page, I might withdraw this complaint. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

If they're gonna use our sprites, though, why don't they use our kickass new ones instead of the stupid old ones?
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

appleide wrote:I've always found this funny:
Named after the city in which they are from, the Eldron are a mysterious people. They have many odd skills, and can even speak in their own tongue.
Speak in my own tongue... Wow, amazing!!
Someone should post an "Are you Mysterious?" poll in off-topic, to determine how many of us can speak in our own tongue.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.