some things i HATE on wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

motorbitch

some things i HATE on wesnoth

Post by motorbitch »

hi!

some feedback, i cant hold back anymore.
first: i like wesnoth. else i wuld not make me the afford to write this in a language not natural to me.

but:
there are some things that can make me want to uninstall it anytime i play a new map .

first of all touse $%&#! random stats given new units... especially : FAST....

that one REALY sucks.... along with the incredible and unbeliveable loadtimes (compared to the size of the savegamefiles) this one makes me angy nearly as often as i enjoy the game...

wuldnt it be much better to give the player the opportunity to choose thouse stats manualy? maby not as realistic as, but one culd argue that the recruts are choosen, and weak applicant culd be refused by the instructors...

this wuld boost gamefun somewhat, at last for me. in multiplayergames maby make it choseable, if random or not.

and plz: fix the loadingtimes....

thanks for this game, i realy hatelove it ;)

edit:
can someone plz fix the game to run under windows xp fullscreen without having whole directdraw disabled?
tested it on some machines, always black screen when directdraw is not entirely disabled with dxdiag.
edit again:
whatever u did with the game since 1.0.2 making the game so slow: TURN IT OFF
scott

Post by scott »

We're working on it. Thank you for the feedback.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Well, Scott's statement is partially right. we (I use "we" lightly) ARE working on making the game run faster. You must also realize that Wesnoth was made entirely without pay, so you really have no right to criticize it. You can offer support and ideas, but truthfully your word is not going to change the game just because you said it. Now the part about the random stats: They are randomely chosen for a reason, if you could pick them, the game would be disgustingly broken. In real life you can't choose what soldiers you command, as with Wesnoth. You need to learn to compensate for your units weaknesses and strengths. Besides, the traits really don't make a huge change in your units.
JW

Post by JW »

Dragon Master wrote:Well, Scott's statement is partially right. we (I use "we" lightly) ARE working on making the game run faster. You must also realize that Wesnoth was made entirely without pay, so you really have no right to criticize it. You can offer support and ideas, but truthfully your word is not going to change the game just because you said it. Now the part about the random stats: They are randomely chosen for a reason, if you could pick them, the game would be disgustingly broken. In real life you can't choose what soldiers you command, as with Wesnoth. You need to learn to compensate for your units weaknesses and strengths. Besides, the traits really don't make a huge change in your units.
Basically everything you said is wrong.

-edit-
I bolded what was right.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:
Dragon Master wrote:Well, Scott's statement is partially right. we (I use "we" lightly) ARE working on making the game run faster. You must also realize that Wesnoth was made entirely without pay, so you really have no right to criticize it. You can offer support and ideas, but truthfully your word is not going to change the game just because you said it. Now the part about the random stats: They are randomely chosen for a reason, if you could pick them, the game would be disgustingly broken. In real life you can't choose what soldiers you command, as with Wesnoth. You need to learn to compensate for your units weaknesses and strengths. Besides, the traits really don't make a huge change in your units.
Basically everything you said is wrong.

-edit-
I bolded what was right.
Now I'll bold what you missed. ;) :
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

(I have a problem with the use of the word "we", and people (for example, even I) have gotten things changed just by using words.)
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

JW wrote:(I have a problem with the use of the word "we", and people (for example, even I) have gotten things changed just by using words.)
Well the word 'we' is showing that we are a happy, loving community :D

Anyway, what they have said is right. In war you have to use what you got even if they suck :P

The thing about the load times is a bit of a hassle, not so much for macs. But like it has been said, they are working on it
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
motorbitch

Post by motorbitch »

well, maby my post is a bit to harsh.
as im missing practice, subtones may be wrong.
i like this game, and realy, im verry grateful for your work.

about that "You need to learn to compensate for your units weaknesses and strengths" thing:
i do comletly agree with this. this makes strategy-games intresting. if there wuldnt be this cursed fast perk i wuld have said anything, but a fast knight or swordman is kind of broken.... one just dont get what he payed for if the new unit gets this.

also anywhere is written that all randomstats are good.
but....
well...
fast isnt good....
it ähhh... like sucks.
if im the only one thinking so, plz dont do anything.

but i bet your aim is to make game-exirience as exiting as posible for the individual players. if- why not let them chose on theyr own if they want randomstats or not by make em switchable in the config? <-- question, no order ;)

that u dont have the ressources to make the game as fast as comercial products is understandable, but there was this huge performance drop since the last stable making it pretty uncomftable even to scroll on slower machines (like mine). but i dont demand u to do this right tomorrow....

for the directdraw incompatiblity, can u write at last into the readme that one have to turn it down on win xp, i searched the forums long time to make it run in fullscreen, and the only hint i found in the forum was to play in windowed mode %-)
taken me *long* time to find out that one have to turn off directdraw via dxdiag :(
Leo

Post by Leo »

motorbitch wrote:if- why not let them chose on theyr own if they want randomstats or not by make em switchable in the config? <-- question, no order ;)
Because Wesnoth has politics (called OAB = Options Are Bad) to minimize number of options that affect gameplay
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

motorbitch wrote: for the directdraw incompatiblity, can u write at last into the readme that one have to turn it down on win xp, i searched the forums long time to make it run in fullscreen, and the only hint i found in the forum was to play in windowed mode %-)
taken me *long* time to find out that one have to turn off directdraw via dxdiag :(
This is the first time I've heard of this at all. What version of Directdraw is this and what graphics driver do you use, and has anyone else experienced the same? Is this the reason for the various "I only get a black screen when starting Wesnoth" problems reported several times before?
Gomez

Post by Gomez »

I don't know anything about technical stuff or directdraw settings, but I'm also using windows XP and yes, the game doesn't work in fullscreen. I have gone through many game updates, and it has always been so.

Anyway, I prefer to play in windowed mode, which allows me to do other things while I'm playing, such as continue to chat with my internet friends or control my winamp playlists (err, yes, I prefer listen to my own music instead of wesnoth original ones).
podunk

Post by podunk »

Hey Gomez!

Believe me - most of us went through the love hate thing when we first
started. I used to rant about 22 hit point strong fast mages - I mean
what are you supposed to do with a wimp strong fast mage? Run ahead of
every one else and bonk a troll on the head with his staff? :-)

But when you get underground, or have snow to trudge through a quick
white mage comes in very handy, He can keep up with the rest of your
troops and provide healing on the run, your army doesn't get all strung
out that way.

I've found that having a ballanced army is best. Some quick units come in useful to chase down units the strong guys wound.

As far as the direct draw thing goes, I'm not sure why you're having to tweak anything? I have XP on 2 computers and Wesnoth runs fine under Direct Draw 9.0c on default settings. Have you tweaked your settings to run some other game or over clocked your video card? Have you tried returning to default settings?

I installed Wesnoth on a very old computer (AMD K6III-450) and it ran fairly well - quite a bit slower than on the more modern computers I have but I could stand it.

You mentioned having Winamp and chat windows open - if you've got an older machine without a lot of RAM (memory) I'd imagine that having to many windows open would cause a big slow down. Try running it without the extra windows open and see what happens.

Also - the new version (1.1.9) is much faster than 1.1.7, if you're still on 1.1.7 try downloading the newest version and give it a go.

One last thought here:
Ubuntu. :-)

If you're brave enough to play with your direct draw settings I'd bet you know enough to set Linux up on your computer. You'll be amazed at how much faster Wesnoth runs under Linux. Linux is free, the only investment required is a few hours spent reading on the Internet.
motorbitch

Post by motorbitch »

podunk asked:

As far as the direct draw thing goes, I'm not sure why you're having to tweak anything? I have XP on 2 computers and Wesnoth runs fine under Direct Draw 9.0c on default settings. Have you tweaked your settings to run some other game or over clocked your video card? Have you tried returning to default settings?
i personaly tryed with a old ati( tink it was rage128) and a not as old as but still old nvidia gf2 mx400. oc donsnt make any sense with em ;)
dx9.0c is on default, exept for the directdraw now.
the game refused to start fullscreen from the first time i installed it.
ive been updatin from 1.02 to 1.1.9, din´t tryed the steps between, im pretty new to wesnoth.
but i noticet a huge slowdown, making me think about downgrade again.
but that rebalancing stuff is nice done....

btw, if one search the forums for "black screen" there are many hits...
just write in the readme how to work around this, till now there is´t a solution written anywhere. (exept in this tread and i think it will be hard to find for most users.)

freim asked:
Is this the reason for the various "I only get a black screen when starting Wesnoth" problems reported several times before?
i bet my shiny ass ón that. windowed mode seems always to work, but i personaly dont like it, i cant use mousescrolling verry well than. this is why i spend so long time to make it run fullscreen for me.

linux...
jeah linux is cool.
maby later....
bf2 wont run on my actual pc anyway ;)
kinda strange workaround...
but k.
greets

mb
Gomez

Post by Gomez »

podunk wrote:You mentioned having Winamp and chat windows open - if you've got an older machine without a lot of RAM (memory) I'd imagine that having to many windows open would cause a big slow down. Try running it without the extra windows open and see what happens.

Also - the new version (1.1.9) is much faster than 1.1.7, if you're still on 1.1.7 try downloading the newest version and give it a go.

Actually I don't have any speed problems, I am not the one who started the thread, I just wanted to answer freim :)
podunk

Post by podunk »

I ain't got a clue then! Sorry - maybe one of the real tech guys can help. You might want to post this in the tech support forum?

Just an idea/question - have you tried starting in a Window - then pressing the CTRL (control) key and F key at the same time to switch to full screen?

When you upgraded from 1.0.2 did you uninstall the old version?