Unit descriptions - What is needed?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

It's meant to say that whose who find a dragon and do not kill him become dragon-food. Slight typo. I missed the word 'not', and look at the resulting confusion!
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

First off, for the Kalifa I'd actually appreciate it if only Becephalaus and I do them. They are usualy made in the spirit of the game design we have in mind, in conjunction with stuff we have spoken to turin about.

I've been (very) slowly working on the dwarves, and I'll probably get them done sometime in the next month or two.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

@Meaglin: sounds good, I'll commit these to the imperial era svn now.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Understood, Noy. In that case, I'll take the Kalifa and the Dwarven extras off the list.

Edit: Does anyone have the Aragwaith handy? I can't get onto the campaign server, and I might like to work on those rather than the Arendians for now, since their unit tree is still changing.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Edit: Does anyone have the Aragwaith handy? I can't get onto the campaign server, and I might like to work on those rather than the Arendians for now, since their unit tree is still changing.
try the imperial era SVN, http://opensvn.csie.org/ImperialEra imperial/.
k3nn

Post by k3nn »

Can I add my corrections/criticisms? Yes? Sweet.
Maeglin Dubh wrote:Training neww archers
New archers. Typo ;)
Maeglin Dubh wrote:"A result of a rigerous selection process
Rigorous.
Maeglin Dubh wrote:Their name originated from an old folk tale in which the most skilled archer in all of Arendia, was challenged to prove his prowess by firing arrows repeatedly in an outline around his his wife,
"his his" wife ;). Also, the comma after Arendia has no business being there.

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Nowadays the appelation has come to refer to the sound of their arrows
Appellation.

...Sorry, I just enjoy my grammar/spelling. You're doing an awesome job though, thanks for contributing to Wesnoth
:D
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Appellation and new were my only errors, and typos at that. The others were pre-existing errors I failed to pick up in my corrections. Thanks!

EDIT: Working on Aragwaith descriptions to have something for the Allacroft resume.

-Archer

The Aragwaithi are a noble people, fragile in body, but their training makes them among the more deadly denizens of this world. Their archers are no exception. Their skills with a bow are comparable to those of some elves, and they are remarkably quick with their daggers.

-Strongbow

By wielding a stronger bow and training almost constantly, the Aragwaithi Strongbow fires a far deadlier shot than the average archer. Their dirks are longer than the daggers used by the typical archer, and they wield them far more effectively.

-Slayer

While improving only marginally on the power of their bow, the Slayer abandons the blade in favor of training with a spear, improving his skills in hand-to-hand combat. He is not as rugged as others of comparable skill, but far deadlier.

-Greatbow

Finally moving on from the dirk and dagger to the sword, the Greatbow is superior to the Strongbow in melee combat, but not as powerful as the Slayer. Their bow, however, is a masterpiece of military design. Several months are spent crafting a single bow, and each bow is crafted by the user, to his individual specifications. Due to the incredible strength required to pull these bows, anyone but the crafter who attempts to draw it could suffer serious injury.

EDIT: There isn't much cultural flavor in these; I don't have much of a grasp on Aragwaithi culture. I'm thinking noble humans, and testing the waters. If everyone likes these, I'll expand them with some cultural tidbits, see how those go, and build the culture as I go. Unless there's a pre-existing basis for them I'm not aware of....
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

You know Meaglin, it strikes me that all your descriptions make the unit in question sound massively powerful.
I don't know if that is what you intend, but it's getting to the point of being, well...silly.

(My own past attempts at unit descriptions suffer from this as well, so I realise it can be hard to avoid.)
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'll work on it. I was trying to play to the Aragwaith propensity for low HP, high attacks, and the archer's ranged starts off as good as the Elf Archer.... Revisions in the morning.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Zhukov wrote:You know Meaglin, it strikes me that all your descriptions make the unit in question sound massively powerful.
I don't know if that is what you intend, but it's getting to the point of being, well...silly.

(My own past attempts at unit descriptions suffer from this as well, so I realise it can be hard to avoid.)
Well, the Arendian archer sounds positively weak, and the feather bow is only the best of whats there with some more training, of course the arrow wind is massively powerful, he's level three afterall. As for the hunter and Slayer, it does mention that they are much weaker than the used to be.

Of course, the aragwaith ones do sound more skilled, if not powerful, but the aragwaith do focus on high attack, low health.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

It would appear more feedack is needed before alterations are made. I'll have to put a link in my sig.... *sigh*
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Good in its general form. (And I'm the one who should be opinionated on it here, heh.) The one for the Archer is the best, while the rest seem to suffer from the "This unit is great" problem.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Slayers should be those that train in more martial arts and go poaching everything from animal to enemy, perhaps living an isolated life. Their name seems to indicate a very dedicated existence, in any way.

The weapons of the archers could be an instant sign of their prowess, where novices train speed and finesse with light knives, and their strenght with the bow. An accomplished master can move a sword softly in his hands, just as he draws his arrows, and the strenght/features of their personal bow is crafted to fit the technique of its user.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Jester

Post by Jester »

I am dumping the Warg and Vampires here :D

Warg:

Warrior Line:
Werewolf (lvl 1)
Warrior Wolf (lvl 2)
Rabid Wolf (lvl 2 berserker)
Moon Blade (lvl 3 magical melee)
Fenrir (lvl 3 bashing unit)
Pack Leader (lvl 3 leader)
Garou (lvl 4 leader)

Scout Line:
Wolf Cub (lvl 0)
Wold (lvl 1)
Dire Wolf (lvl 2)

Skirmisher Line:
Stalker (lvl 1)
Shadow Pelt (lvl 2)
Night Eye (lvl 3 +nightstalk)

Shifter Line:
Shapeshifter (lvl 1)
Changeling (lvl 2)
Wolver (lvl 2 cold melee)
Wolfling (lvl 3 cold and normal melee)

Vampires:

Warrior Line:
Bloodborn (lvl 0 cannonfodder)
Fledgeling (lvl 1)
Flesh Artisan (lvl 2 fighter-mage mix)
Duellist (lvl 2)
Sword Dancer (lvl 3)
Noble (lvl 2 leader)
Sire (lvl 3 leader + mental ranged)
Methusalem (lvl 4 leader)

Mage Line:
Blood Apprentice (lvl 1)
Flesh Artisan (lvl 2 fighter-mage mix)
Blood Manipulator (lvl 2 +shadow)
Sangel (lvl 3)

Archer Line:
Bloodborn (lvl 0 cannonfodder)
Thin Blood (lvl 1)
Half Blood (lvl 2)
Day Hunter (lvl 3 lawfull marksman crossbow)
Twilight Walker (lvl 3 neutral poisoner)
____

Thank you, it's really cool that you are willing to do this :)

EDIT: Forgot to post a bit of background.

Warg
These manwolves live mainly in (snowy)forests and hills. They are a very peacefull race, only fighting to protect their sacred Mother Nature.
They have some contact with the Shifters and some of the Shifters liked them so much that they decided to join them (shapeshifter line).
Thread is here lots of pages to scroll through, so I just linked to the page with the (most complete)tree.
Art thread here

Vampires
The Vampires control several cities and villages. They feed upon the human (slave)population that lives there. The Bloodborn and Archer line are part of this food source. Bloodborn are still fully human while the rest of the archers are partially 'blooded'.
Vampires themselves are very seductive and attractive creatures. Their mages use fire- and shadow magic, boiling the blood of their victims and destroying their souls.
The mage-fighter mix is a mage that learned the way of weapons as well (and visa versa). They have the ability to manipulate their own flesh, changing their own body's spiky weapons.
Thread is here .
Art Thread here.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Still thinking about this... I haven't lost track of it. I'm just bogged down a bit with schoolwork. I've got 10 essay length questions due once a week, just for one class, and a ridiculous amount of reading.