A proposed Wesnoth cosmology

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

catwhowalksbyhimself

A proposed Wesnoth cosmology

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

This idea rose out of the religion in UTBS discussion. Wesnoth is a great game and is developing quite the rich history, but what it doesn't really have is its own universe and cosmology. What is the basis of the existence of the world of Wesnoth in the first place? This question is often foundational to any fantasy world. Usually the answer is the existence of one or more gods, but I have a proposal that is just a little bit different.

The universe in which Wesnoth takes place is based on the fundament element of magic. Magic exists in "strands" for lack of a better term, and stretches acress the cosmos, moving in orderly and predictable patterns. Sometimes the patterns form "knots" and the knots cast "shadows" which the take the form of the stars and planets. Everything on Wesnoth's surface is a manifestation of a magical pattern. The pattern and shadow are so intertwined that normally, when one is destroyed, the other in unravelled.

Some patterns are, however, so complex as to be able to shape itself and other things around it. These patterns cast the shadows known as life, and may be intelligent. Intelligent beings can remain intact as pure magical patterns as times and can often learn to directly manipulate the magical patterns around them, a process commonly known as magic. Magic can be used to artificially sustain a living soul (or the pattern behind a living being) a practice known as necromancy. Some mages also learn to directly unravel the life-threads. Since the pattern and shadow sustain each other, this process is only somewhat harmful against living beings, but it is devastating against undead, whose physical forms no longer sustain their souls. Since life is commonly regarded as sacred, this form of magic is often referred to as holy magic.

Magic beings can, however, arise, that are completely free of any physical form, or which can transcend that form and are vastly powerful to magic. They may be the souls of certain great magicians whose power to sustain themself transcends the normal, or they may be one of the rare beings that exists without ever having held physical form in the first place. Superstitious groups have often called the beings gods, but more knowledgable societies have recognized them for magical anomolies.

NOTE: In case someone tries arguing that this would be offensive to religious people because it effectively removes real gods from the picture, I would like to point out that I am what you would call an extremely religious person, but this is a fantasy world, and we can shape it how we like.

This is just my proposal for clearing up several questions/controversies in the Wesnoth world and allowing for the event of UTBS while remaining consistent with the seeminly lack of religious references in the other campaigns.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

While this seems like a fine fantasy description of magic, I see no need for an official description of how magic works in Wesnoth, especially not one that is divorced from any in game material.
catwhowalksbyhimself

It would explain several apparent inconsistencies and it would solve the god question of UTBS. Besides, any fantasy world must have a background. It just makes the whole world come more alive.

More importantly, it will be a help to future compaign designers, who won't have to worry about making reference to magic, for example, too vague for fear of causing inconsistancy, or having no god show up for the same reason, but at the same time, there are limits, of sorts.

And if you can point out any relevant in-gave material that I am not aware of, I will adjust it accordingly.
scott

Post by scott »

Any time you establish something like this, it is inevitible to start examining it in excruciating detail. This is worse if it happens in a campaign, which is also inevitible and, in my opinion, tiresome.

I think Wesnoth should be the contents of a book that someone is writing, and it is, in fact, one of many worlds contained in books. The problem is that these books are sometimes poorly written which causes turmoil inside the book world. Then, sometimes the books themselves actually end up inside other book worlds, and the guy writing these books has 2 evil sons, and...

um, never mind. :P
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

scott wrote:I think Wesnoth should be the contents of a book that someone is writing, and it is, in fact, one of many worlds contained in books. The problem is that these books are sometimes poorly written which causes turmoil inside the book world. Then, sometimes the books themselves actually end up inside other book worlds, and the guy writing these books has 2 evil sons, and...
Too much myst? :)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

So... you basically explain all the misterious magical frame that is kept in mistery by the game?.

I do not frown the idea, but the fact that explains what makes Wesnoth "magical" does feel like taking the charm out of the game.

I would prefer to keep it vague and somewhat free, both in explanation and principles (basically, i want a pencil, not a drawing). Something shinto-like... spirit exists inside all (sentient or not), and spirit can develop/be handled/evolve/etc. Leave the workings of it free, and the principles not completely defining.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

#1 It's somewhat vague but I'm pretty sure the description of the Ghost unit affirms that in Wesnoth Undead beings keep their soul but are slaves in the duration of their existence. This goes against your above description.

#2 It's cool that you're thinking up ideas. I think if you want to make it part of the Wesnoth universe, try to figure out exactly what effect this would have on any game's storyline and then make your own campaign to incorporate it. Or, get buddy-buddy with someone who is making a campaign and get them to incorporate whatever storyline-impacting element to it.

I myself am making an Undead campaign which deals heavily in the physics/mystics/details of undead beings, the soul, magic and the holy damage type, so I'm quite open to hearing any theories on everything.
catwhowalksbyhimself

It's somewhat vague but I'm pretty sure the description of the Ghost unit affirms that in Wesnoth Undead beings keep their soul but are slaves in the duration of their existence. This goes against your above description.
Actually, it doesn't, but I didn't go into that much detail. The magic the holds the souls to the physical world can also bound them to the caster's will.

This was intended more as a help to campaign designers than anything else. While I knew that it would likely never become official, I still hoped it would be useful. The details mentioned really should not all be explained in a campaign anyways. It's like the cosmology of LoTR, it's all there as a basis and helps hold the world together, but it's there as a background and is never actually explained in those books.
It's cool that you're thinking up ideas. I think if you want to make it part of the Wesnoth universe, try to figure out exactly what effect this would have on any game's storyline and then make your own campaign to incorporate it. Or, get buddy-buddy with someone who is making a campaign and get them to incorporate whatever storyline-impacting element to it.
Wish I could, but I'm already embroiled in the midst of two other gaming projects and do not think it wise getting into any other ones. But if anyone finds these ideas helpful in a campaign, even if you change them somewhat, feel free to use them.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

AFAIK, Wesnoth is deliberately vague on religious matters (and related matters such as magic and cosmology. It's not necessary for gameplay, and introducing it would just add potential points of contention.

I would personally prefer that it remain vague. The Star Wars Midichlorian debacle is a good example of what can happen when you explain things that don't need explaining. :)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, I've read some of Dave talking on the board about where he didn't even originally want Holy and Undead in the game (and inevitably discussion about religion and God). I'm cool with religious stuff being avoided because there just too many takes on things, but some vague storyline stuff and how it effects the gameplay is good. Honestly, cat's description seems vague to me, so maybe working it in might work well.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:AFAIK, Wesnoth is deliberately vague on religious matters (and related matters such as magic and cosmology. It's not necessary for gameplay, and introducing it would just add potential points of contention.
As I'm arguing in the "UTBS, God, and Wesnoth" topic, I believe that with UTBS official this is no longer true. Hence the debate. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:
irrevenant wrote:AFAIK, Wesnoth is deliberately vague on religious matters (and related matters such as magic and cosmology. It's not necessary for gameplay, and introducing it would just add potential points of contention.
As I'm arguing in the "UTBS, God, and Wesnoth" topic, I believe that with UTBS official this is no longer true. Hence the debate. ;)
Really? Bugger, that was a good policy. :(

And I've never played UTBS...
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

irrevenant wrote:
turin wrote: As I'm arguing in the "UTBS, God, and Wesnoth" topic, I believe that with UTBS official this is no longer true. Hence the debate. ;)
Really? Bugger, that was a good policy. :(

And I've never played UTBS...
Play UtBS before you decide that the wrong decision was made.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
catwhowalksbyhimself

As I'm arguing in the "UTBS, God, and Wesnoth" topic, I believe that with UTBS official this is no longer true. Hence the debate. Wink
Which is also why I wrote this. I originally wanted to post something more on that topic, since I can't post in the developers forums, than, while thinking of great fantasy cosmologies such as Narnia, Middle Earth, and Wheel of Time, I decided to try to come up with something different from anything else, hence this. I also discovered, to my delight, that it could easily be used to allow for UTBS without any regular gods, and settles the debates about Holy and Undead, which normally imply some kind of deity. I did leave it vague and did not try to answer all the possible questions. I never say how magic works, nor did I orignally say anything about how the basic explanation of undead applies to command over undead. I think much should be left to the storycrafter.

But, as I said before, use it or don't. It's there if you find it useful as a campaign designer, or can't stand apparent contradictions, but you can ignore it otherwise. The one thing I don't get is why I keep getting accussed of both adding too much detail, and not adding enough. Sounds to me like I did it just right.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Eleazar wrote:Play UtBS before you decide that the wrong decision was made.
As I said, that was what I was arguing. I didn't say it was fact. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm