Scenario Review: DiD 8 - A Small Favor - Part II

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DiD 8 - A Small Favor - Part II

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
fareley

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 8 - A Small Favor - Part II

Post by fareley »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
hard, 1.5.3
4 - i went in killed everybody and went out. only lost a shadow but as i finished, i had a level 3-shadow, a level 3-skeleton, a level-3-mage, a level 3 skeleton archer and the main hero, also level 3
very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
it's okay
the time. but it was okay
8. It's a nice level with random-placed enemies. Well, a place to heal your troops would have been nice. But except 4 that it was okay
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
well, could have had more strong melee enemies! i rushed through with my level-3-skeleton and my level-3-shadow
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
no
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
the enemies attack randomly. Once they weren't able to see me except for my shadow who opened the door. Normally they would have done nothing but although he was invisible they came out, attacked and destroyed him. That was how i lost him.... :hmm:
Maybe the enemies leader shouldn't just stand there and wait for me to kill him. i attacked him twice with my level-3-mage and my level-3-main-char. He was just standing there (he attacked me after two turns in range combat but my mages killed him really easily)
blue

Post by blue »

1. Evoker (challenging) 1.6.4
2. 6
3. Very clear
4. Nice and clear
5. Be careful with the mages against my ghosts
6. 7
7. none
8. none
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 4-5, depending on what you have left from the last scenario
(3) well, in the beginning it said find the enemy leader. (german version) When I found him, nothing happened, so I concluded I had to kill him, which really was the goal.
(4) nice
(5) that l4 enemy mage. I couldn't avoid losing an unit against him.
(6) 8
(7) Some possibility to heal your troops would really be nice. Without it, I spent some turns just standing and waiting for some hp. (Well, some hp you can get by leveling.)
(8) taking too long
(9) N/A
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (hard); 1.8.3; playing with a rag-tag group of vampire bats, walking corpses, and just a couple level 2's.

Not clear. I killed the mage on close to the last turn, only to have the objective change that I had to go someplace else and so I ran out of time. You should add like 10 turns when you change the objective.

Good.

Silver mages.

I discovered that if I put a ready-to-level vampire bat next to a white mage and also poison it with a Ghoul, then the white mage would just sit there, waiting to die. It can't heal by doing nothing. And it can't get more wounded by attacking either of its opponents with a ranged attack. So I'm not sure what the white mage hopes to accomplish. :lol2:

See #3.

See #3.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Not many comments. Could comment the change in victory conditions.
Attachments
DID-A_Small_Favor_-_Part_2_replay.gz
(73.42 KiB) Downloaded 1007 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Hard (2 Spectres, 1 nightgaunt, 2 shadows)

Clear enough.

Good.

First it was justing figuring out the right strategy of opening doors to rooms with backstabbers at the reader to get the mages.

Killing Karras was tough. First time he killed Malin. Second time I was better prepared for him.

I guess I made it so I can't complain too much, but it seems like that without healing a little back luck can do you in.

First time, I really botched my door opening tactics and was in bad shape; then Karras finished off Malin. Second time, I had better tactics and also got lucky with Karras missing more often.

Don't see any comments and it could use some. E.g. placing all the guards and mages, units_inside_manor.
Attachments
DID-A_Small_Favor_-_Part_2_replay.gz
(31.48 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (medium) 1.8.5

6 - No trouble up until killing the mage, and then I was running out of time. I finished on the very last turn because I sat a lot of turns to let units heal.

Clear.

Solid.

Keeping units alive. I also felt that I got lucky by choosing to go west rather than east.

7 - its cool.

None.

Only one on the last turn, lost Volk.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Normal (Challenging), 1.8.5

6. It can clobber you before you get the hang of it.

Clear.

Fine.

Opening doors recklessly and being overwhelmed by high-quality mages.

6. After some frustrations at the beginning, it was quite nice.

Maybe add a "we should take this room by room to avoid making too much noise" dialogue the first time you open a gate.

Opening multiple gates at once and moving recklessly.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

2. However, that's because I had three level 3 units and two level 2 units in addition to the leaders. It really depends on how you perform in the previous scenario.

The objective change is annoying because of the time limit, but otherwise they're OK.

There's not much dialogue, but what is there is fine.

Time limit in combination with the objective change; I was barely able to make it in time.

9. It's essentially a short dungeon explore adventure, it's good to see Wesnoth used in such creative way.

Increase the time limit after you kill the mage.

Not at all.
Linux. Space technology.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard

depends on starting units. A bunch of shadows/wraiths/specters is best IMO, it's easy then

not losing my best units due to unlucky attacks, had to reload

seems I don't like these type of scenarios at all, makes me feel bored
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

... so I continue my post from the previous scenario here.

1) The party should enter through the DOOR, not the trapdoor.

2) They should start in a symmetric-looking building, not in a strange underfloor catacombs.

3) They should look for a library room, but once get there realize there is no book and no main wizard... they somehow sence that he hides under the manor, so next task is to find a trapdoor.

4) finding a trapdoor leads to the next scenario - a really small pitched battle against a wizard and a couple of his guards. The reward is getting the book - done.
HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

I'm not sure how you are supposed to legitimately complete this scenario...I assume a passageway is supposed to open, but it never did in 1.9.10, I had to edit the map and redo the level. Otherwise

Hard, 1.9.10
6 when I didn't know where I was going and went the looong way around, 1 when I replayed it and knew the shortest route. Assassinating any unit with 2 Nightgaunts is trivial.
Not clear at all since I was unable to complete it without cheating
There's not much here.
Mages
4, I don't like these RPG-esque levels that box you in so much that you have to pray to the RNG gods and do trial and error for whether or not opening that door is a good idea. I remember really liking this campaign when I first played it in 1.6 (although I took a break from Wesnoth until 1.9.5), but playing it now too many of the scenarios are too reliant on luck.
Besides being able to complete it, having less wandering and mages would be nice.
taptap

Post by taptap »

This scenario is too "Dungeons & Dragons"-esque, just that you play the monsters and the good guys sit in the room waiting to be killed. Position all your units, storm the room, kill everything. Apparently nobody wonders about what is going on in the next room. I never found this convincing.

Zombies made here should be carried over to the next scenario, even if you are not supposed to recruit.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
100%
OK
Deciding which units to breach a room with first, like which ones could take the brunt of a mage attack before the others could rush in to help.
One thing i was surprised about was that although some rooms were obviously leading to nowhere, the only thing they contained was extra enemies. I was expecting a detour with some artifact or health potion or something.
no
Fate is against me.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Don't know which version this is, I'm playing this on the iPad. Difficulty level: hard.
3; I played this on hard and it's actually quite easy if you have the right units, ie. use the invisibility of shadows+ and kill before they get a chance to counter-attack. The walkthrough explains this pretty well.
Well, the objective is to "find" Lord Karres - I already assumed that this most likely means to kill him.
However, the real problem is that after you kill him, you get the new objective to move to that signpost in the north-west, but you don't get any additional time. And none of your units may be even near that signpost when you find out.
I had so much gold left at the end of Part I that I recalled almost my entire army, then recruited a bunch of skeletons. When I found Karres in the upper north room on turn 20, I decided to sacrifice these skeletons and used them to block the door for two turns and used the time to clear the map to level my other units. After I killed Karres on turn 24, there was just no way to reach that signpost in time !
There isn't that much dialog in that particular scenario, but I like the campaign :-)
Well, you have to learn the power of invisibility, after that, it's almost a piece of cake ;-)
3; I don't like fighting in narrow corridors very much.
I played this on hard, cleared the entire map and saw one single opponent outside these rooms.

I wasn't sure whether I could recruit/recall in Part III and because I had so much gold (quickly assassinated the leader in Part I, then owned all the villages a few turns later), I recalled every unit that I thought might be useful. Then, it was extremely packed and full in these narrow corridors and I could only use like half of my army anyways.

I had 18 units plus a bunch of skeletons, but only really used 5 of them (shadows and wraiths) - in the end, I burned these skeletons to let my shadows/wraiths level up, but I could have won without them (I tried very hard not to let my lvl 3 units kill anything to give that xp to the lower level units).
Yeah, realizing that killing Karres is not enough to win this scenario - I had none of my units in reach of that signpost in the north-west - and I still don't know whether I have to move my leader there or just any unit.
Well, I'm actually a GNU/Linux person - but I came to Wesnoth when I looked for a cool iPad game on iTunes. I didn't even know that it's Free Software before I looked it up on the internet looking for strategy advise. But I really like the iPad version - it's just so comfortable to sit on a couch with the device without that huge computer.