Scenario Review: DiD 2 - Peaceful Valley

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doopliss

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 2 - Peaceful Valley

Post by Doopliss »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal (Challenging), 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7. It catches you off-guard.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Perfectly clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
A bit awkward in general, but I can't think of a better way to explain the tolerance of Ghouls.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Getting greedy trying to level, and getting overwhelmed when taking too many villages at once.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
2. It seemed tedious in general to me.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The dialogue about "harvesting souls" seems weird to me. I might get rid of it, and call the massacre a start or a learning experience instead.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Getting my leaders sniped out of recklessness.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.8.4

4 (if you use the Ghouls, otherwise it's 10)

Crystal clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialogue is pretty good again. What is said is enough to develop the story and make you understand the concept, without being too sparse or too much. Moreover, it makes you feel that Malin and Darken have distinct characters.

Understanding that I should reach the swamp as soon as possible. In addition, a challenge lies in confiding the enemy using mostly units that don't exert a zoc.

8, very fun

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None, it's already very good. However note that the enemy leader tends to be aggressive, which makes it much easier to kill him and win early.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I had to play this twice, because the first time I didn't enter the swamp immediately. Without doing this as long as you have the chance, you're getting into a near impossible fight (at least on hard).
Linux. Space technology.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, 114gp, no reloads

probably "5". Not a tough one, but you can easily be beat in several ways, even if you play well. TBH it's the first time I'm playing undead, so have to figure out a lot on the fly. For an experienced necromancer it might be no more than "4", I don't know.

24 losses, 13 kills. Finished on turn 18/23

getting used to 0-level units absense of ZoC. Avoiding Volk's death, as he's my main damage dealer and a sweat target for AI.

"7", like it

yep restarted a few times, b/c of my undead noobity, and Volk's deaths. Even this winning replay has a few close spots, should have played better.
Attachments
DiD-Peaceful_Valley_replay.gz
(27.23 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Medium, 1.9

7. It's a little tricky if you aren't careful.

Clear

The way... Darken Volk... talks is... odd.

I have to say, I don't think this is a good scenario to introduce bats. I wanted to use them in the more traditional sense of just sacking villages ASAP, but I was quickly overwhelmed by goblins.

After several restarts, my winning strategy was as follows: spring the ghouls out of the swamp and move them south into the forest, recruit two bats to snatch a village and attack guards if necessary, wait for WCs to break out of the woods to begin main village capturing operation. I used WCs en masse to overwhelm the guards. At some point the enemy leader foolishly left his keep, where I happily poisoned him with ghouls.

7 if done properly. Having a massive mess of zombies sprawled all over the place was interesting.

Maybe less guards.

Capturing villages and springing guards too quickly caused several restarts.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
100%
I liked hearing about the origin of ghouls.
Getting my zombies across the forest right next to the base.
none
no
Fate is against me.
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Summoner (difficult), 1.10.1
--- Very clear
--- Nice, as always.
--- There wasn't any major challenge.
--- 7. Fighting weak goblins with bats wasn't the greatest fun I had :P
--- I would add some dialogues between Necromancers and Goblins.
--- Nope.
Attachments
(14.33 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3 - Winnable without recruiting or recalling, or having the monsters join you by entering the swamp.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, dead simple. However, the opening speech by Volk is about convincing Parthyn people to allow for Malin's return. This is right only if Malin was banished from Parthyng - it doesn't fit with Saving Parthyn's alternate ending, in which Malin is not banished.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Wolves are always challenging to fight against. Because of their speed, they can run around any unit to attack it from every angle, so a lot of wolves can gang on the unit.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Hard to say. It's an early level, so it should be easy. It's also an exploration level, which is fun, and gets you ghouls, which is a pleasant surprise. More goblins?
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Last edited by devavrata on May 4th, 2013, 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Summoner (Difficult), 1.11.2

Clear. Its a nice change from the usual "defeat enemy leader".

It sets up some very interesting characteristics.

Using walking Corpses is not exactly my cup o' tea.

Nothing.

No, though it felt like a lousy victory. Darken Volk was the only unit I really gave any XP to. The rest of my gang consists of half-experienced level 0s, and only one Ghoul. Although I assume that's just the way it's suppose to be at this point. It definitely delivers the feeling of anxiety for better troops.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's good.
Attachments
(22.36 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Summoner (difficult) – no reloads

5/10

Clear.

Good.

Finding the ghouls.

8/10 Very good. Flooding the valley with zombies was entertaining.

Nothing needs to be changed.

Four failed attempts until I found the three ghouls.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 137 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Good.
(5) Challenges? Patience?
(6) Fun? (1-10) 6, I didn't have as much fun as before. I think my starting gold was enough to make it not a challenge.
(7) Changes?
1. When the Ghouls are found and come to your side, the fog is not lifted around them. This led to a situation where I couldn't even see the third Ghoul until I moved one of the others. (You can see this in the attached replay.) I imagine it would be possible to not be able to see any of your Ghouls, if you came from the other side of the swamp. So, change the WML so that the fog will be updated, and if you can't, then submit a bug report.

2. It was pretty boring at the end when I got captured a lot of villages with no goblins. On hard, why not make it a minimum of 1 goblin per village?

3. This is just a general Wesnoth bug, but a poisoned near dead Wolf Rider came running up to my slightly wounded but ready-to-level leader (and did not attack.) I accepted his offer to sacrifice himself for the good of my leader. The AI should not send 1 HP units towards the enemy.

(8) Restarts? No restarts and no save-reloads.
Attachments
(30.43 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, hard (Summoner), 102 starting gold

6 - moderately difficult; goblins are a pain. I used the ghouls to poison everything in sight.

Clear.

I liked the dialog about ghouls. Shows you a bit of Darken Volk's personality.

Goblins popping out of all the villages.

5 - it's okay; I don't like using just walking corpses although it's fun to see the the different forms of the units you turn into WCs.

By the time you capture the last few villages all the enemies are already gone from the map. Maybe make it so you win if you capture most of the villages.

None.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Hard 1.12.0
clear
Interesting looking at the dialog again after knowing that
Spoiler:
. Darken Volk mentions that we should check out the swamp, but I didn't know that it had to actually be Darken or Malin to step on the swamp for the ghouls to emerge. I only found out after checking the scenario walkthrough in the website.
Holding the line and slowly wittling down the enemy force with only zombies and bats.
9. Because it's nice to just use only level 0s, and to suddenly kill little goblins when they pop out of the villages.
None.
None. If you really know your undead tactics then it's straightforward.
I don't know WML
Replay:
(21.07 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
czarkoff

Post by czarkoff »

Easy, 1.12.2.

I expected to win after defeating enemy leader, although it looks like my fault, not objectives' shortcoming.

Clear and interesting, although I'd probably add more hatred-driven comments to Malin's attacks.

My troops are slower then enemy's recruits. Without discovering ghouls this scenario is challenging.

8. It was fun to plan village pillaging so that I wouldn't loose ghouls but would still have it all done timely.

I'd make all villages inhabited, and I'd trigger goblins in enemy villages when player's units end turn on adjacent hex.

I've lost Darken Volk because I overestimated his ability to defend himself.
Attachments
02.gz
(17.2 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Med, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS 1.0.4 ver
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5
Started off using bats, but they were too easily killed. Used the extra ghouls from the swamp and the necromancers to kill the goblins. The goblins and the king came south, so easy pickings. Then my remaining bats flew around re-capturing villages. Lost one ghoul to wolves.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Very interesting storyline. I love the artwork between scenarios.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Avoiding attack from wolves. I was able to level 2 ghouls to necrophages though.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8. The goblins appearing was a creative aspect. Fun to control undead creatures.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? good as is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Quite interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Killing the enemy leader
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No