Scenario 14: Shadows

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 14: Shadows

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 14 - Shadows

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? I liked it.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Delfador comes into a pretty tough spot. Other than that, not much.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 6
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Delfador died a couple of times as soon as he arrived.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
1 - if You have 4 Elvish Enchantresses (as i have) it's slaughtering the lambs. If You don't - well... Also Holy water helps a lot. My tactic was fly east, massacre undead, regroup, meet Delfador. Than I send Delfador to roast Necromancer on the south. Team used to crush Undead leader on the east simply returned to west and massacre them all. Piece of cake. 100 gold at the start.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There is no story line here:)
None. With flyin' and burnin' elvish girls, very easy.
8. At last some lvl.3 undead units. Love to roast heavy skeletons.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea. I think it's good as it is. Maybe change script of recriuting. If player has many magic units, more Necrophage and Ghouls. If player has many non-magical units, tons of skeletons.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 7
(3) Clear.
(4) Fine.
(5) I finished on the last turn, mainly because I didn't really know what to expect, and spent too much time fighting undead that I could easily have outrun.

(6) 5 - the most interesting bit is breaking the NW lich's army. Delfador's team has a big fight for 1 turn but then has lots of plodding through woods to get to a lonely enemy leader (well, at least I know how the AI feels trying to chase my elves :-) ).
(8) Not sending sufficient forces to finish off the NW lich and getting Chantal killed.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 6-7. When You have enough casters in your ranks it is not so difficult after all, but the lack of enough villages and money makes recruiting units once you expended your money nealry impossible
(3) Very clear
(4) It is interesting and explains the comong events quite good
(5) uniting the forces of Kalenz and Delfador. I had a whole bunch of undead between both forces and they concentrated on one side only, threatening to wipe them out
(6) 7. The most fun part are the dialogues, the killing was more or less generic
(7) Can't think of some...
(8) no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

2 – much easier than expected

Clear, though I wasn’t sure if I have to kill only the leaders, or all undead (I chose the latter for max experience).

It was interesting and mostly clear.

One part confused me, though: One of the undead mentioned that they got more help, and later that they got even more help. Since I couldn’t see the east undead I had no idea what that means. More units? More gold? Both?

Crappy accuracy (Delfador managed to miss 4/4 attacks against an enemy that needed a single hit to die) and not knowing when would be the right time to go fight the east undead.

7 – one of the easiest fights against undead I have seen so far, despite not having enough anti-undead units (I had just one Sorceress). That holy water certainly helped a lot.

No changes

No
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; 119 starting gold

Clear.

I don't really like them chatting through the mist across vast distances. "NICE TO MEET YOU!" "NICE TO MEET YOU TOO!"

The first challenge was killing level 3 undead with level 1 troops running around with arcane-enhanced weapons, albeit supported by a Shyde and two Druids.

Delfador's group arrived almost on top of a group of tough undead, and I overestimated my chances against them, losing two white mages and a shock trooper or something.

No idea.

No.
Attachments
DM-Shadows_in_the_dark_replay.gz
(44.88 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 226 starting gold

4 (piece of cake after Return to Trouble)

Kill bad guys, now this bad guy, now this bad guy...

Fine. Really nice to get a good clear nudge to go west.

Getting elves, without sorceresses, to kill high-level undead.

Fine as it is.

Lost once to shadow and Spectre coming out of nowhere and killing Chantal, otherwise no major challenges.

Looks fine.
Attachments
DM-Shadows_in_the_dark_replay.gz
(47.13 KiB) Downloaded 955 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 14: Shadows

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

Killing the first boss without a significant casualty, 9; the rest of the scenario, 2.

Clear, beat the three baddies.

Solid, except for the "here come reinforcement" lines. Perhaps the undead could say something about "I smell life this way, let us satiate our hunger" or something. Dialogue is a great way to invigorate a scenario, but given the fog of war, the reinforcements line doesn't make much sense.

As I indicated above, killing the first boss. I started with 108 gold, so I recalled 2 rangers, 1 marksman, 1 druid, and recruited two fresh soldiers.

I lost one stormtrooper when Delfador appeared.

I finished in round 19/28 with -200 gold and will carry -30 gold over to the next level. Minimum gold it will be!

8 - I enjoyed the level, a nice challenge in the beginning.

The mages might have one or two bodyguards to elevate the challenge after the initial push.

A few reloads to figure out how to endure the NW mages (he recruited 5 of them) without losing a troop.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Easy
2 - required minor non-suicidal moves
great
awesome
Very few
9, one of the best undead battles I've had
Higher income. I was having so much fun until I looked at my income and found a -30. Even after capturing every village it was at -1. This was with only one keep of units. Could Delfador bring some money with him? I was at -300 by the end and only made 19 gold with my bonus.
No
I don't.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

4, I spent not even 200 of my 430 start gold on units and still had no big problems. I saved the money, because I did not know, that Delfador and his units would arrive later on, which meant a very high upkeep and highly negative income. As money saving is therefore completely useless in this scenario, it could have been even easier, if I would have spent all of my start gold on units.

Clear

Okay.

Nothing in particular.

I was a bit frustrated, when I found out, that my money saving was useless, because of something I could not foresee and control. It would be nice, if the astounding high upkeep after Delfador's arrival could have been avoided somehow.

No
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard 1.8.4

3, easy. My force consisted of one shyde, one elvish marshal, three rangers, one sorceress, and a fighter who was about to level up (in addition to Chantal and Kalenz). All of them survived the scenario.

They're not clear. After Delfador arrives, the objective changes from "kill all enemy leaders" to "kill all enemies". By now I know that whenever the objective is to kill "all enemies", it's actually to kill all leaders, and I can verify that's the case in this scenario as well. Maybe it's a Wesnoth limitation? Anyway, this objective change is misleading.

Delfador and Kalenz meet. OK, it's fine for storyline purposes, but they don't say that much.

None

Other than removing the objective change, none. I understand that it's meant to be played as a small elite force against numerous but weak undead troops, and it works well this way.

No
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (159 gold)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Clear.

I don't like this talking through fog crap. "We have more help!" Really? I can't even see you so why should I be intimidated :annoyed:

I went back to my original camp in an attempt to keep my villages, but then I saw... SPECTRES!? I didn't know he recruited spectres! Run for you lives!!

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
6: Not bad.

Not sure...

Nope.

OK.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Well done.
Attachments
DM-Shadows_in_the_Dark_replay.gz
(52.8 KiB) Downloaded 915 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 5
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: Good, the undead banter about reinforcements was confusing though, as i had no sight of these reinforcements they were getting, so i would have no idea which ones were the original force they recruited and which were the reinforcements.
Challenges: Figuring out the holy water. At first i assumed it worked the same as it did in one HTTT scenario when you move one unit to the water, and it gives all melee units arcane. I noticed there were three of them so i thought "What? why would there be more than one?" So i sent Cleo to one of them to test it, then i reloaded back to turn one after i found out what it did.

Luckily, i had 3 heros in my recal list from last scenario, so that saved me some gold, and it was just the right amount to collet the holy waters, maximizing the melee arcane damage. I spent the rest on a sorc, shaman, and captain. I worked my way around counter-clockwise assaulting the bases, as suggested by cleo. By the time i had gotten to the second base, delf came. There were some skeles coming through the shallow water on the south at the second base, so after i killed the guy there, i set up perimeter on the forests next to the water to maximize terrain advantage. Delf and his troupe assaulted the north-eastlich, and by the time the dialogue started between the two main characters, i think they were on opposite sides of the map.

Fun: 8, pretty fun 'hack and slash' with some high lvs.
Changes: Clarify the holy water's difference to the holy water used in the HTTT campaign where it is also used. Clarify the whole undead reinforcement bit.
Reloads: One time when i had cleo test the holy water, (as previously mentioned), and another time when my sorc got ganged by like 4 units on the first undead base. I didn't want to go through the rest of scenario without her, and for good reason, she was an essential tool.
Fate is against me.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I've been playing around with this campaign again and I noticed something in this scenario. The troops that show up with Delfador are newly created just for this scenario. They aren't guys carried over from Ford of Parthyn; they are randomly created new ones. That doesn't make sense, since the storyline text indicates Delfador moved here from Parthyn. It also seems wrong that Delfador comes with 3 heavy infantry when he says at the end of Parthyn that he needs to move quickly through the wildlands.