Scenario 10: The Gate Between Worlds

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 10: The Gate Between Worlds

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
_serenity_

Re: Scenario Review: DM 10 - The Gate Between Worlds

Post by _serenity_ »

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
1 : easy
2 : 10
3 : ok
4 : I'm not sure I understand why Delfador can recruit ghosts... or why other guy want to kill Delfador... :-)
5 : surviving. Ghosts are expensive and not efficient against dark adepts. My red mage was level 3 or 4 and he just died. It tried to restart, no way.
6 : 6. Ghost are fun (but very not efficient)
7 : Create a level 0 ghost and give some for free ?
8 : Yes, too difficult. Maybe you should forbid the enemy to recruit dark adepts ?
9 : i haven't looked at the code
Jarkko

Post by Jarkko »

- easy

- It was a routine call

- It was actually quite fun. Rarely you see one to successfully nullify death itself.

Spoiler:
- 10 - Senseless destruction is always fun :P

- None

- Nope, it was actually a cakewalk

- Didn't look at the code.
| My Art Corner | The White Lich (Fan Fic) |
Translating Wesnoth into finnish
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 3 - lots of gold from the previous scenario so I could afford a big, expendable army.
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) I over-recruited on ghosts, which proved a bit expensive against the enemy spamming dark adepts.
(6) 7 - this campaign continues to mix it up with different troops without breaking the storyline.
(7) It's fine.
(8) No.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1) Medium
(2) 6. It is quite easy to figure that the best strategy is to lure the enemy in the swamp and kill him there. Yes, you lose some units, but it could be worse
(3) Very clear
(4) It was clear, but I was a bit at a loss why the necromancer wants to kill Delfador. Why Delfador wants to kill the necromancer is quite clear though, so maybe rewriting the dialogue a bit so that the necromancer is defending himself
(5) getting all the villages to get lots of money
(6) 7. It is fun to fight the "good fight" and still using undead, but the objective itself is standard...
(7) can't think of anything not already mentioned...
(8) no
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

1) medium, 1.8.0
(2) 4
(3) crystal
(4) OK, but not as good as the previous
(5) Dark Adepts. While each can kill one ghost per round, it takes about three ghosts to kill one.
(6) 5
(7) let me recruit something apart from ghosts. (Or may I recruit ghouls if the one from the previous scenario survives?
(8) Reloaded once, because I lost my Shadow - just to find out I won't keep it anyway.
(9) N.A.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

2 – to my surprise it was very easy.

Clear.

Fine.

Dark Adepts. In fact, at first I expected to have trouble with this mission due to the fact Dark Adepts always have 70% CTH and are able to kill a ghost with just two hits. However the DAs had some bad luck a few times (missing one of their two attacks), forcing them to use two DAs to kill one ghost, which slowed them down and reduced my ghost casualties.

The bats were little more than an annoyance, as were the thugs

8 – Ghouls and Ghosts. Quite an unusual recruite list, forcing me to be a bit more careful than usual. Plus I haven’t had much chance to play with undead in previous campaigns (just DID). So I found this scenario a lot of fun.

No changes.

No, I finished it on first attempt, and without any loads. I even leveled a couple of ghosts.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; 400 starting gold

Clear.

Who? What? Wha? In general I was confused. For one thing, Iliah-Malal has created a bridge between the land of the living and the dead, and then Ghost Melinna is like, "Oh goodie, my savior" but then proceeds to attack him anyway. And another confusing thing is that Delfador was very eager to meet this individual, but then very eager to kill him once he did. With the Woses, who were doing everything they could to kill Delfador, he was like, "No, no, let's talk about this." With Iliah-Malal, who did not attack (yet), Delfador is a bit insulting "You must be insane" and declares what he has done to be a great evil. It's the quick turnaround that has me confused. I thought Iliah-Malal was going to be someone good.

I had great difficulty fighting with Ghouls on bad terrain. If you attack with the Ghoul, it will get wounded and definitely killed on the next turn. Being passive is uncomfortable, given at most 40% defense.

I decided to go for a leader assassination with Ghosts, sending eight Ghosts around the flanks and surrounding the leader. This worked well, though by then my Ghoul-heavy center feinting force had almost wiped out the enemy (while also being almost wiped out itself.) I'll add something about leader assassination to the walkthrough.

It seems like any Ghosts left over from the previous scenario should switch sides, or at least Delfador should express reservations about Iliah-Malal in the previous scenario, when the Ghosts are mentioning him. Something like, "It's one thing for the living to come to the land of the dead, as I have, but it's quite another for the dead to come en masse to the land of the living. It would be the end of life as we know it. What you say about Iliah-Malal fills me with dread."

I underrecruited and Delfador got killed, so I restarted from turn 1.

It's fine.
Attachments
DM-The_Gate_Between_Wor..._replay.gz
(25.4 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 487 starting gold.

3. With this much gold (which you can easily gather by sticking around until turn 64 on the previous scenario), this is trivial even with poor strategy.

Kill bad guy.

It's not really clear how Delfador can now recruit ghosts and ghouls. Apparently it's a carry over from freeing them on the previous level.

Dark adepts. Once you have them under control, it's a piece of cake for the ghosts.

If you fix the previous level so you can't get a buttload of gold, this would be more of a challenge.

No.

Looks good.
Attachments
DM-The_Gate_Between_W..._replay.gz
(27.49 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 10: The Gate Between Worlds

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

7 - Healthy challenge, although I finished in one go without any restarts (though it was close - I recruited two keeps and finished with only 2 ghosts (one of which was lvl 2).

Clear. Kill Billy Bob.

Solid. Crazy mage.

Watching all my troops die.

I finished in round 14/24 with 135 gold and will carry 268 over to the next level.

8 - Its cool to play with undead for a change.

Nice how it is.

No.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

4, as I had no options apart from recruiting ghosts this scenario was quite straightforward and only about using Delfador's leadership ability wisely. I could even afford it, to save 80 of my 380 starting gold.

Clear

Okay.

None.

Can't think of anything

No.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.9.4 (318 gold)

Clear

I think there should be some dialogue about why the ghosts and ghouls are so willing to attack the man who they refer to as Mr. Hero

It was kinda easy - I just took down all his bats so he couldn't give my village grabbers any trouble, and then I simply pressed through the army of thugs and dark adepts.

5: It's pretty basic.

A more variety of recruiting options for Iliah-Malal. (Footpads?)

Nope

Comments are good.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
It would be cool if it looked more mystical 8)
Attachments
(26.22 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 466gp, no reloads

probably 3 or 4... I went for a central ghoul battle accompanied by a ghost-assasination, but in the end was able to kill everyone.

clear

looks ok, but the story is smwt strange. Delfador was looking for help from this mage, but in a second declared him an enemy. I guess there should be more talks when they meet.

none

moderately fun, would have been better if made a bit tougher

look through replays and find the optimal starting gold for the scenario, set the minimum just below of it. Then tweak the previous map to deny a big gold bonus.

none
Attachments
(27.9 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 4
Objectives: 100% clear
Storyline: good
Challenges: None really, it was fairly simple to see the rock-paper-scissors of how to counter his units. The gouls get the adepts, and the ghosts get the thugs.
Fun: 7
Changes: none
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3, plenty of gold, but didn't use all of it. Main challenge is to kill all adepts in the center - without having actual melee units (only 1 shadow I don't want to expose too much). Luring away some with flanking and then retreating ghosts helped, but using ghouls w/ leadership as melee units is kind of strange. I kept all remaining named undead alive (or undead?), levelled another shadow. Using more gold would have helped, but I guess it is good to keep reserves for whatever comes next.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.