Scenario 22: Face of the Enemy

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

Re: Scenario 22: Face of the Enemy

Post by Sire »

BoW Version: 1.12.4
Difficulty: Apprentice (Normal)

Perceived Difficulty: Extremely Easy
- For a finale of a campaign, this was fairly lackluster since I only saw the enemy recruit Level 1 units and the player's party will no doubt be filled with Level 3 (and Delfador himself), which essentially takes away any essence of a challenge.

Objectives: Clear

Story: Good
- I enjoyed the concept and story behind this scenario, but the gameplay did not deliver.

Challenges:
- There was no challenge.

Changes:
- Make the enemy leader more of a threat to take down. Perhaps a custom trait (saying he has the book or something), that increases his strength. Alternatively, perhaps make him into an Ancient Lich?
- Allows Level 2 enemy recruits, even on Normal difficulty.

WML Coding:
- Looking at the code, troop recruitment seems to be somewhat solid on the higher difficulties.
- Perhaps the campaign may need to rename the difficulties to the classic "Easy, Normal, Hard" instead of "Normal, Challenging, Difficult".
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? Challenging, using 1.0.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 1
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear. kill bad guys.
(4) How clear and interesting? The storyline about Delfador is interesting.
(5) Major challenges? None really. Had to fight 4 Banebows in one tunnel. But that was it.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 3. The map layout was something new to me and I liked it. However, the scenario was too easy to be much fun.

(7) Changes?
There could have been enemies in some rooms, more bad guys coming around corners, dark areas in other rooms, bats coming out of an open window, ghosts ...spiders!
It looked like someone left all the manor lights on with no one home. Where did everyone go? The rooms were empty.

Some people might not have played HttT yet, but the epilog tells what happens to Delfador in his later years. (What if he died and a necromancer brings him back as evil Mal-delf?) The title is Delfador's Memoirs so I understand why they did not want to leave the story unfinished. But I think it would have been ok to end the Memoirs at the showdown at the swamp. Then briefly let us know what happens to Delfador and his friends next, leading into HttT.

Overall a fun campaign and I enjoyed playing it. The memoirs added depth to Delfador's character and I have a better understanding of him. When I replay Heir to the Throne, what I learned here will make me feel more appreciation and respect for him.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It's okay, though I've been expecting that the finale would be Delfador against Eldred as mentioned in the prologue of HttT. Still, I think that Sagus' descent into darkness by Crelanu's book shows why that book is not a child's book to fiddle with, but a really dangerous book. Plus it could be why for other reason Asheviere hates Delfador

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- None

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Sagus should recruit tougher units, this felt too easy

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- No
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Thanks for all the feedback.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

Wesnoth 1.12, medium difficulty.
The story of Sagus is interesting indeed (I never expected it to go that way), but the fight is extremely easy and without challenges, as others already said.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Why does Sagus have Ardryn-Na's avatar (that, in fact, I saw for the 1st time in IftU)??? Give him a modified avatar of his living self!
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Kylix wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:54 pm Why does Sagus have Ardryn-Na's avatar (that, in fact, I saw for the 1st time in IftU)??? Give him a modified avatar of his living self!
It's an alternative lich portrait that's included with the game. Although, since there are no other characters in DM using the regular lich portrait anymore, that could be used instead.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: January 10th, 2019, 4:25 am
Kylix wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:54 pm Why does Sagus have Ardryn-Na's avatar (that, in fact, I saw for the 1st time in IftU)??? Give him a modified avatar of his living self!
It's an alternative lich portrait that's included with the game. Although, since there are no other characters in DM using the regular lich portrait anymore, that could be used instead.
So, that avatar could be used for the female lich, after modifying her sprite.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
1. Ridiculously easy - I had to slay only four level-3 creatures and then Sagus. The scenario is almost empty, it seems bugged.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, interesting.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenges at all.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Clearly it needs more enemies.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7, Great Mage (Difficult)

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was okay. There was just this one perceived inconsistency. #4221

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
DM-Face of the Enemy replay.gz
(32.15 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; probably played the scenario at least twice, didnt remember much though
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3. Its too easy with recalls and full knowledge of the map and script.
But its also (potentially fatally) unfair if not knowing it.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Typically unfair that the script appears to be triggered by my unit seeing the enemy and not the other way round.
And as usual the strategic advice "block the chokepoints" given is rather questionable.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it harder. Give the enemy more income so that there is a stream of undead coming from the book or sth.
Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
DM-Face of the Enemy replay.gz
(31.54 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: May 23rd, 2009, 12:01 am 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
1. Great Mage / Difficult (Highest)
2. Zero
3. Crystal
4. Zero. I am pretty disappointed in this campaign. Should have ended at Showdown at the Northern Swamp. This scenario is just irrelevant to me.
5. Zero. I mean I had a recall list tailored to wreck undead...what else did you expect?
6. Zero.
7. Rework DM to be better. All of it.
8. Nope.
9. I did not read the code. The scenario looked quite simplistic in design to me.
DM-Face of the Enemy replay 20220113-053932.gz
(34.56 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium