V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 22 - Northern Battle

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Review: LoW 22 - Northern Battle

Post by governor »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium and Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8 - Its nearly impossible to save blue since he doesn't recruit any units. On turn 1; 2 sylphs and 1 shyde need to rush to his castle to save blue leader.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. They should indicate that blue does not recruit.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Something should indicate why Udreadia wont recruit.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Saving Udreadia, since he just sits there and lets himself die.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
10. It was a pleasant challenge running over the orcs without losing any really high level units.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add more ford to the river to the west of the red keep.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
taemyr

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 22 - Northern Battle

Post by taemyr »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.5.8
As clear as I assume that they where intended to be. It's a bit of an annoyance that he runs.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
The balancing act of going after the eastern leader contra keeping green out of the forest. I sent my first castles+loyals east, and as a consequence was struggling to keep green out of the forest. This wound up costing me a druid and a sorc. I think it would be better to send the early units to keep green on the flatland.
7 quite fun.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None that I can think of.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Hard, 1.5.8
1, send Huraldur running towards Landar for an easy win on turn 3.
clear, although no hint that Landar runs, so the easiest strategy is not one that is spottable on the first playthrough.
Clear
Huraldur gets attacked by three units on turn 2, I suppose that if one have bad luck he could die of it.
7, it's a laugh, don't think it will be as fun the next time through.
Don't let Landar run if the other enemy leader is still alive.
No.
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

Hard; 1.5.12+svn-r33365

3. I easly defeated enemy on the south and than extreminated almost all Landar troops until he retreats.
A few troops joined me back, but several sylphs+shydes+Kelenz is enough 8-).

Clear.

Clear, but storyline may be described in greater detail. There is no single dialog with Uraldrelia, this is bad.

None.

No idea.

None.
Per aspera ad astra!
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

(1) Medium 1.5.13
(2) 4 if you know Landar's going to flee like a coward.
(3) Clear; survive or kill, standard survival mission.
(4) Clear, but not very interesting.
Spoiler:
(5) None, really.
(6) 6
(7) Give back all the troops you don't have for Elvish Assassins, then force you to actually defeat Landar rather than just move up to him. Also, I'd give one or both of Landar's attacks the magical trait, since he's downed Crelanu's potion.
(8) No.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

easy 1.6; hard 1.6.2

3 (easy); 1 (hard). A better recall list makes assassination easier.

"Survive for six days" seems to be irrelevant.

Shouldn't Landar be showing more lich-like behaviour by now? Perhaps he should wield a bane-blade and teleport away when "killed" rather than just running without a fight.

Realizing that I could assassinate the eastern leader.

It needs significant rebalancing, I think. Double assassination is just too easy.

Before I discovered the assassination strategy, I got massacred trying to hold the forest line (on easy). The ally was very little help at all.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
Elyssaen

Post by Elyssaen »

Easy, 1.6.1.

2/10.

The removal of most of your elves doesn't change the fact that the ones you still have, and any shydes/sylphs you have, are probably Level 3 by now. At least on Easy, this makes it extremely easy. I took out the nearby elf leader and all of his forces by turn 4, and had won by turn 9, with no losses (and no threat of any).

I think this would be a lot different if you didn't go straight for the kill, and is probably very different on higher difficulty levels as well.

I'd much rather the objectives made it clear that it was an either/or. Otherwise it was clear.

This is the first confrontation between Kalenz and Landar! There should be more dialogue between the two. Also, Uradredia didn't say anything (that I recall).

None.

8/10.

I can't say no to a good elf fight.

Starting the scenario surrounded by an ambush would have been fun, so long as it was moderated carefully to not be too powerful. It would keep the nearby leader safe.

No.