02 - Hostile Mountains

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 02 - Hostile Mountains

Post by santi »

Actually do not hold the island at all costs. You can also use the small forest and village on the west bank to fight; the key is recruit two scouts and grab all villages so you have some income and keep sending troops down. Kalenz will have to keep recruiting.
oea

Post by oea »

@elfarion: well i really hate losing units. you could be right (though my strategy worked great also). still dont like the idea of all those troops from the west bank being able to flank me.

@santi: you can no longer recruit scouts in this scenario so i had to tie up some quick arhers to take the freaking mountain villages (which takes along time).
Ninjamestari

Post by Ninjamestari »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.10.7 Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

I'd say 7/10

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I liked the dialog with the dwarves.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Keeping experienced units safe from the trolls was hard early on when there were still many trolls left. Started to worry about the time limit in the end but still made it one turn before the limit.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

9/10, very nice.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I got it on my first try but I lost two units who had just leveled to 2 which was a little bad. I still had 4 level 2s in the end.
Attachments
LoW-Hostile_Mountains_replay.gz
(33.61 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 161 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 6 or 7, depending on factors beyond your control (dwarves.)
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? The hardest part is not getting loyals killed. It's hard to use them at all around L3 trolls. For those having troubles, maybe try to be more passive. For example, on the west bank, I had two Archers in the village and adjacent forest who just sat there against two Rocklobbers. It would be best to use strong archers, as the lobbers would pound on them, and they would do retaliation damage. Whenever one got wounded, I rotated it out with a fresh unit. Eventually, I was able to kill one Rocklobber, and then the other. I was similarly a bit passive on the island, and I used ready-to-level troops to be able to attack and kill without getting wounded. The dwarves will take care of things, and if the dwarves are more wounded than your elves, then the trolls will focus on the dwarves. Unfortunately, the dwarves also took care of the enemy leader (with my help), stealing that XP. I finished on turn 21/28 with 315 gold in the bank, plus the early finish bonus, so lots of gold for the next scenario, despite fielding an oversized army here.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 9, it's one of my favorite mainline scenarios.
(7) Changes? Don't go changing, to try to please me.
(8) Restarts? I lost loyals a couple of times, restarting from start. No save-reloads.
Attachments
(40.86 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Original Post (v 1.10.4)
Spoiler:
(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 172 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 8
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Level 3 trolls.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? I was under the impression that you could pass over Olurf's land as long as your move didn't end there - maybe the dialogue or objectives could make it very clear that you can't even pass through the eastern land.
(8) Restarts?
2 restarts (from beginning). The first was due to losing a loyal. The second was because I sent a unit through dwarvish land to the water on the other side, which triggered the dwarves turning hostile. (I thought you could do this safely in the 1.10 version but my 1.10 replay is corrupt so I can't check).

finished turn 23/28 by killing the troll leader (actually the dwarves do it for me)
Attachments
Wesnoth 1.12.4 / hard
(39.58 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Last edited by Inky on September 19th, 2015, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.12.0 Hard

Perfectly Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It felt like filler honestly.

Trolls are painful to fight with mostly level 1 elves and no shamans to slow them. Also the trolls recruited a large number of rock lobbers which meant trying to whittle them down with arrows was risky. Positioning was key as there was a very specific set of tiles in the middle of the map you can set up your forces on so your units are on forest tiles, and the trolls are mainly attacking you from the forests and water, instead of entering the mountains where they have good defense.

Around turn 14 or so I and the dwarves had whittled the main force down, and things became much easier, only having to face a troll or two at a time. Assaulting the troll leader was tricky though, the mountain terrain made it hard to surround the trolls, his hired units could reach me quickly, and retreating wounded units was harder. I did have enough time left to get a leader to the signpost if I wanted to, I was just trying to farm xp so this wasn't really a challenge in terms of just winning. I just barely managed to kill the troll leader, the last unit I had that could have attacked him had just a 18% chance to kill him or so. At that point I had one of my two leaders literally next to the sign post though, so if he survived I wouldn't have lost the scenario I would just have had to end it before he could take a turn and kill one of the heavily wounded level 2 units I had next to him.

7. Its an interesting and tense challenge at first, but all the mountainous terrain slows the pace down a little too much for my liking.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing comes to mind.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
2. Both for similarly reasons. The first time through I stood my ground a little too far back and surrendered the nice patch of forest in the center to the trolls. I didn't even try to fight that one out. I looked at the map, said I'm an idiot, and restarted. Then I advanced into said forest patch, but positioned myself on the far edge and naturally the trolls went into the mountains to try to get at me. I could have probably won that one, but it would have been a slow costly slough and I honestly was still being an idiot so I restarted again. The third time through I actually stopped being stupid and found the right part of the forest to stand my ground in and everything went smoothly. I'm not really factoring this restarts into my difficulty rating, in both cases they were obvious mistakes on my part a somewhat closer analysis of the map would have avoided.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, medium.

5. It's an interesting challenge when you first meet the trolls considering how much stronger they are than level 1 elves but a few turns after they step on the dwarvish lands it becomes very easy. The dwarves clear out quite a few enemies and they can sustain a steady influx of new units. As a result, they can bring down the troll leader with very little help from the player.

Clear.

It's alright.

Keeping my important units alive. I heavily relied on sacrificing weak units to protect the stronger ones but the fact that 2 hits from a troll can kill anything I have meant that there's always a possibility of enemies breaching through my defenses and killing my loyals or high-XP units.

6. Very good until dwarves get involved. They can handle the situation on their own so they steal kills or just get in the way of my units, making it difficult to reach the troll leader which is kind of frustrating.

Lower the dwarves' income or stop them from recruiting units at some point. I don't like that the AI can win the scenario for me. Also make the mountains around the enemy leader more accessable so that elves have easier time navigating through them. Currently dwarves can reach the leader before the player and they just surround him. The enemy has a hard time recruiting new units and elves have a hard time reaching the leader as dwarves block most of the hexes.

Nope.

General strategy: recall a few units with XP and recruit for the first ~3 turns. Gather villages and occupy the island and the forest on the eastern coast. Accept the fact that units will be lost- if that is so, you might as well choose which ones. Sacrifice units with low XP for blocking the enemies' advance or for drawing their attention away from more important units. This means placing weak units in the water. Important units are fed XP and retreat to villages when damaged.

Details: 314 starting gold. First contact with the enemy on 5th turn. On 7th turn dwarves attack trolls. Some elves are in water to provide an easier target for trolls instead of high-XP units.

On the 8th turn two of my loyal units are exposed to attack but I had a low HP elf in water so I thought they'll go after him. Instead, they attacked one of my loyals who was in water. Fortunately, he survives.

On the 10th turn I leveled a loyal archer into a marksman and a fighter into a captain. Units in the water are no longer in big risk.
On the 11th turn Landar becomes a marksman and the situation in the river is resolved. All that's left is to reach the enemy leader. A loyal fighter becomes a hero on the 13th turn.

Dwarves eventually plug up the area around the troll leader and almost steal the kill but he manages to free up some spaces for me. Last few turns are spent mooching XP from newly recruited trolls and whittling down troll leader's hp. I risk my captain (3 hits would kill him, he has 60% def) but he survives. Kalenz gets the kill, leaving him only a few xp from advancing.

Ended on turn 23/32 with 383 gold and 18/33 villages. 13 recruits, 2 recalls, 4 advancements, 11 losses, 15 kills, -2% inflicted damage, +3% received damage. Slightly bad luck, but a good game overall.
Attachments
(33.62 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario
?
Simple dialogue. Great music.
Fighting trolls with level-1 units and no shamans to heal them? No challenge at all, why do you ask?
It's good as it is.
No
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
troomar

Post by troomar »

(1) Level and version? High Lord (Challenging), no reloads. Version 1.13.6.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 6.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? I don't mind the dialogues.
(5) Challenges? Just the final strike on the troll leader, as the terrain is hard to move.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 7. It's fun when a troll steps on the land of dwarves.
(7) Changes? -
(8) Restarts? No.
Hestelvar

Re: 02 - Hostile Mountains

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Solider (Easy)
Starting Gold 291
Between 3 and 4. The dwarves kill most of the trolls.
Good job. The key fact - avoiding the east bank - is carefully emphasised.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Another excellent chapter - I enjoyed reading through the dialogue at the start.
One minor quibble, in the unlikely event that an elf kills the troll leader we get. “Urgh! Grugl wanted tasty elf-meat, but choked on their nasty pointy spears!" The elves don’t carry spears, so choking on arrows or swords seems more appropriate.
None.
7. A great premise. I always enjoy scenarios with allies.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Allow Grugl to recruit a limited number of level 2 units, even at Easy difficulty. This should add peril and variety without increasing the difficulty too much. For an intermediate level campaign I think there may be scope to increase the difficulty on Easy.
Maybe give a glimpse of the orcish pursuit. When the victory condition is met, spawn a few wolf riders at the northern edge of the map and let them have words with Olurf.
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I read it, unfortunately it went over my head. This is the most complicated scenario I’ve read.
Remarks:
If the trolls had not triggered the dwarfs early things might have been very different.
I lost an archer to a remarkable stroke of bad luck, but with good unit placement this is the only way to lose anyone in a very kind scenario.
In the first scenario I overcame several level 2’s, this can be won without facing a single one.
Attachments
LoW-Hostile Mountains replay.bz2
(21.61 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.2, High Lord (Challenging), 188g

Clear.

Clear.

Minimizing my losses against the trolls.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
LoW-Hostile Mountains replay.gz
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm Hostile Mountains is the second scenario of The Legend of Wesmere. Feel free to reply to this thread and answer the following questions about it so that we know the opinion of the user base about the scenario.

Wesnoth 1.14.11, High Lord (Challenging), no reloading during campaign, played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 in comparison with the rest of the campaign
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the later stage a bit harder - once the big troll blob is defeated its too easy.
Content Feedback wrote: September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
LoW-Hostile Mountains replay.gz
(31.8 KiB) Downloaded 248 times