V1.7/1.8 - SP Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

V1.7/1.8 - SP Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Post by Content Feedback »

This is the scenario The Legend of Wesmere campaign begins with. If you've recently played this scenario, please tell us your thoughts about it.

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Post by fabi »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
v1.7.7+svn (39524M) EASY
Okay.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialogue is interesting enough but the gameplay could need another element that distinguish it from HttT's starting scenario.
None
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give Velon more speech since there is a high quality Image for him and that scenario is his only apearence.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I lost Anduilias the first loyal unit.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
The WML of this scenario is in a good state.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Easy, version 1.7.9

Very

Interesting certainly

Avoiding losing too many troops. The number of assassins that the southern orcish leader recruits can often be a problem, especially when you only recruit one keeps worth of troops to avoid massive negative income. This particular playthrough, the southern leader recruited 6 assassins on their first turn, more normal though is anything between 1 and 4, but their recruiting 6 assassins, played a significant role in causing me to lose 3 soldiers, and therefore I just got out of there on turn 6 to avoid losing any more.

5. As indicated above, the assassins the southern leader recruits make it rather challenging for a first scenario, moreso I feel than HttT. That, plus getting surrounded before you can fully break through the southern leaders lines (should you choose to fight them rather than just escape as quickly as possible).

To combat the massive use of assassins, either more villages (to support a larger army needed to break through the enemy lines more quickly, especially in terms of allowing more healers, I often only recruit 2), or restrict the number of assassins the southern leader can recruit to no more than 2, if there is any way of doing that.

Losing Anduilas (the loyal fighter), due to poisoning and repeated attacks before I could get him to a village for curing. On another playthrough I have even lost Kalenz when trying to totally defeat the southern leader.
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

1.8 Medium.

Completing the scenario (1), trying to get the early finish bonus (10).

Clear enough.

Pretty decent.

-Many assasins + very few villages = a sea of poison and frustration, and the worst thing is that you really have no way to fight back effectively because the assasin's dodge makes them insanely hard to kill (unless you're extremly lucky) with only level 1 units.

-Even with the troops of your allies you're barely superior to the south orc troops, but the moment you start winning the battle your rear gets hit by those nasty level 2 riders. Many times they killed Kalenz or one of the other two loyal guys, because if i keep them at front they might killed in battle and if a keep them at the rear they might get picked off by those riders.

-You are totally outnumbered, outgunned and outmaneuvered and to be honest this seems way too brutal for an optional objective of the first mission of a campaign.

So far i don't see how to beat the orc by direct confrontation (other than relaying on amazing luck) and any kind of assasination plan seems almost imposible with only those units. Still, i'm a perfectionist so i'll keep trying.

Just beacuse getting Kalenz to the signpost requires no skill at all, i can do it without recruiting any unit or fighting any battle, but the early finish bonus objective seems so hard and not really that worth it as far as the reward goes.

Any combination of the following:

-More villages in the southern area.
-Southern orc recruits less assasins.
-Stronger forces for your ally.
-Other orcs recruit level 1 riders.

Of course, losing Kalenz or the other hero guy, or the third loyal one; all units are expendable for me, except loyals.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard, version 1.8
Clear.
Very. Would be nice to see elvish emissary sent to orks with peace proposition;)
Everything. On hard level too much Goblin lvl. 2 riders. They really change the style of game. Player has only lvl.1 units. Next - ork assassins. On south there is hundreds of them. One turn - half of elves running on poison. Also in forests - assassins have 70% defense chance. Really - as first level mission (no veterans) it's hard. Without a lot of luck, it's almost impossible to breakthrough. I don't even mention defeating leader on a south.
1. Too hard.
Less assassins (orks have other units). Get rid of lvl.2 riders.
Bad luck at the beginning - Ork on the east recriuitet too much wolves,
N/A
oberon

Post by oberon »

This seems to be a lot harder in 1.8: the southern leader recruits a lot of assassins, which are very hard to counter without any units that can cure or enough villages for the poisoned units.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Majki-Fajki wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard, version 1.8
Clear.
Very. Would be nice to see elvish emissary sent to orks with peace proposition;)
Everything. On hard level too much Goblin lvl. 2 riders. They really change the style of game. Player has only lvl.1 units. Next - ork assassins. On south there is hundreds of them. One turn - half of elves running on poison. Also in forests - assassins have 70% defense chance. Really - as first level mission (no veterans) it's hard. Without a lot of luck, it's almost impossible to breakthrough. I don't even mention defeating leader on a south.
1. Too hard.
Less assassins (orks have other units). Get rid of lvl.2 riders.
Bad luck at the beginning - Ork on the east recriuitet too much wolves,
N/A
Are you sure it is too hard on hard?
Remember that you win when Kalenz reaches the signpost.
There is no need to kill the southern orc.
Reaching the signpost isn't that hard.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Are you sure it is too hard on hard?
Remember that you win when Kalenz reaches the signpost.
There is no need to kill the southern orc.
Reaching the signpost isn't that hard.
Yes, but the point is to get somebody leveled up, because next scenario is difficult too.
Crab
Inactive Developer

Post by Crab »

The scenario was reworked in 1.9 trunk, now the objective is to kill any one of the enemy leaders, and the gold/income counters for enemy sides changed (less initial gold, more income), so, at higher difficulties, it is necessary to do that real quick.

And yes, 'southern orc preferring to recruit assassins' is intentional (and the ai was instructed to target unpoisoned units as much as possible)
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

fabi wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.1, Medium
Just to finish: 1, actually leveling someone, 6-7, killing southern orc, 9. I only did the later once, mainly because I got lucky and he came out and attacked.

Clear.
Clear. Amusing.
Learning not to care that everyone runs around poisoned and there is nothing I can do about it.

Once the eastern orc recruited a handful of wolf riders on turn one. That was no fun as they were on me almost as soon as I engaged the southern orcs.
Seems like about half the time the other elf recruits 2/3 shamans which isn't too useful. Be nice if he didn't do that.
Just me trying to accomplish something besides survive.
Not familiar with WML.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.1

9, because it's very difficult until you find the correct strategy (run-like-hell) and even then some luck might be required.

clear

I didn't like some of Velon's early dialog.

When I tried forming a battle line against the southern leader, my forces were slaughtered. In a rematch, I switched to the run-like-hell strategy with success. I leveled no units and very few even got significant experience, but I was fine with that.

If it's going to be a run-like-hell scenario, then the run needs to be longer, with some isolated units that can harass Kalenz (but not a swarm to pin him.)

In a related matter, the board edge is too close relative to the signpost and winds up being too much of a factor in victory. I wasn't sure, but I felt like I was lucky to win on turn 5, with none of the orcs moving to two away from the edge.

To address these issues without drastic changes, you might try reducing the southern leader's fortress from 7-recruitable to 5-recruitable and extending the board two hexes to the west and two hexes to the south, and moving the signpost two hexes south.

Just my own failure.

N/A
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just for the record: Velon's shamans should not fight, but join you, finish off some badly wounder orcs and level to sorceress, which would be immensely useful for the future.
kukn

Post by kukn »

Hard, version 1.8.2

8 (less if you single-mindedly rush Kalenz from turn 1), although I did it on the first go with a reload (a near dead unit had to hit once out of four times to kill and level up)

clear

It was okay (though Velon is the typical "stupid naive guy").

Forcing through the last few hexes to get Kalenz to the signpost on the very last turn. I was a bit late moving him up, so I had to cut through the orcs, sacrificing most of my units just to hold a rag-tag line for long enough... the end was very close with just a few half-dead units surrounded by orcs.

10. It was great fun, the desperate push through, not trying to kill the enemy, just to survive and open up the way for Kalenz.

Make sure that it plays the same great way even if you rush Kalenz from turn 1. Otherwise the way it turned out for me was great.

Bad luck making me lose a unit my defensive line depended on.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Medium, 1.8.3

6 (I killed the southwestern orc)

Clear

It was okay.

Killing the orc and reaching the signpost wasn't a big problem. But I wasn't able to collect much experience with my surviving units. Everytime a unit was close to advancing it got killed and if I tried to collect experience with Kalenz or the loyal units and went into battle with them, the enemy managed to kill it somehow in the next turn, too (that's why I had to reload). Maybe with more attention I could have gotten more experience, but I thought that collecting experience is not that important in this kind of scenario.

The old elf recruited mainly shamans. Fighters and/or archers would be more useful.

Two times because of my own mistakes (when I tried to get experience) and another time, when I wanted to see, what happens, if the old elf survives.
Yrth

Re: V1.7/1.8 - SP Scenario Review: LoW 1 - The Uprooting

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

6, at first it was hard, it got considerably easier after I figured out how to position my units to allow Kalenz to reach the signpost more or less undisturbed, recruiting less than a keep is sufficient, but one keep is fine to make some more kills and gain xp

Very

Good start, the dispute with your ally could be more dramatic

Luring away the orcs from Kalenz, I found loosing units is not a problem, recruiting new units in the next scenario is cheaper than recalling anyway, finishing with one l2 unit is fine but not necessary

7, quite short but nice

None

Orcs blocking the way for Kalenz