First Wesnoth 1.0 release candidate

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

muxec wrote:I'm suprised by the number of MacOS players here. All MacOS users are rumored to be professional actors imcompatible with games. Do I see many MacOS users here due to the number of MacOS players or due to the number of problems on this platform?
Theyre is more commecial software on Windows because of the monopole, so gamers prefer to use windows. But about any game could run on about any OS.

As theyre is not many games on Mac OS X (or Linux, etc.), you will found more player from this architectures for the games that run on, specialy for a good games.
Xytan

Post by Xytan »

lwa wrote: I guess the trouble is linked with the filesystem you're using.
Check the names in the save directory and tell more about your filesystem.

Theyre is a bug like this (but a bit different) on HFS (Mac OS X). Maybe the saved file should be in ASCII (UTF-7 encoded or something)
i use the standard filesystem on mac os, which is hfs+ or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
filenames are ok (like Die_Sümpfe_von_Esten)

the problem is not the files content, but the filename.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Xytan wrote:i use the standard filesystem on mac os, which is hfs+ or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
But the display in the saved file box should be
"Die Su¨mpfe von Esten" (unless you applied a patch)
Xytan wrote: the problem is not the files content, but the filename.
That's what I said.
Grignr

Post by Grignr »

lwa wrote:Have you checked if my lite version at ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... 1_lite.dmg
is working on 10.2 ? It's 23 Mb. If it does not work, please report the console output if any.
Excellent, thanks for making a lite build. Unfortunately... when I try to run it, it bounces its icon in my dock and does nothing else.

The console gave me this:

dyld: /Applications/Wesnoth 1.0rc1 lite/Battle for Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Battle for Wesnoth can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I have very little experience with this sort of thing, so I have no idea what that means. Is there anything I can do to try to make it work? Would the additional file you mentioned help in this case?
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Grignr wrote: dyld: /Applications/Wesnoth 1.0rc1 lite/Battle for Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Battle for Wesnoth can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
That mean you don't have the right library for C++ such compiled application. Are you running on 10.2 (Jaguar) ?

If you are on 10.2, I try to can build a compatible version and give you the executable only (1,2Mb compresses) if you know how to copy files with the Terminal are have a low bandwidth
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

muxec wrote:I'm suprised by the number of MacOS players here. All MacOS users are rumored to be professional actors imcompatible with games. Do I see many MacOS users here due to the number of MacOS players or due to the number of problems on this platform?
Mac user come from a lot of backgrounds, and a lot of mainstream games were released for that platform. Graphic artists, special effects, web developpment, and now server and sys admins can be - and often are - on the mac. Actors? I don't know about that.

Some of the rumors are way out-of-date since Mac OS X has changed the software portrait of the Mac - a lot. Now mac users can be anywhere from casual internet surfer to hard core *nix hackers. Thanks to the *nix underpinning of Mac OS X, almost all open source software gets ported on the Mac.

Most of my friends use macs because most of their friends use macs... and we are all gamers. I've played all civs, Tropico, all Warcrafts, Diablo, Baldur's gate, Deus Ex, and on and on... The way I see it the only games that won't get ported to the mac are the lame copy cats - not the top-of-the-line commercial games.

To answer more directly your question: Wesnoth was posted on versiontracker.com and macgamefiles.com and imgmagazine.com and probably a couple of other mac game/software sites... even apple.com feature Wesnoth! Most gamers on the mac will frequently visit one or many of those sites. So you might get more exposure relative to the potential "market". You can very rapidly be known to a big percentage of mac user, which is WAY harder to achieve on Windows platform.

my 0.02$
muxec

Post by muxec »

nonobots, I used Mac a little at university classes and it looked as OS for photoshop only, absolutely unsuitable for home use...

No serious problems for now:) It's going to be released:) I hope that famous game sites like gamespy.com will review the game.
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
Xytan

Post by Xytan »

lwa wrote:
Xytan wrote:i use the standard filesystem on mac os, which is hfs+ or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
But the display in the saved file box should be
"Die Su¨mpfe von Esten" (unless you applied a patch)
i get "Die Su#mpfe von Esten" in the load-box, where the # is a square.
the finder shows the ü.

Ein stu#rmischer Sommer (ü)
Characteristiken und Spezialita#ten (ä)
Ru#ckkehr zum Alten Wald (ü)
Ein letzter Fru#hling (ü)

looks like it finds the chars but does not substitute the ¨. maybe it should use " instead? ¨ is a non-ascii char (7 bit) like the umlauts.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Xytan wrote: i get "Die Su#mpfe von Esten" in the load-box, where the # is a square.
the finder shows the ü.
Ein stu#rmischer Sommer (ü)
Characteristiken und Spezialita#ten (ä)
Ru#ckkehr zum Alten Wald (ü)
Ein letzter Fru#hling (ü)

looks like it finds the chars but does not substitute the ¨. maybe it should use " instead? ¨ is a non-ascii char (7 bit) like the umlauts.
You have a square instead of a "¨", because it's the display for an unknown character in the font. The reason why the Umlaut is not over the character is that HFS filesystem store such letters using two unicode characters. First is the unaccuentued letter, second is the unicode modifier (null-width). Whenever you enter such letter, filesystem convert it internaly, readdir() output converted version and Wesnoth (nor SDL) does not handle this as it should.

You may see what's happen with this little example:

Code: Select all

$ mkdir t
$ cd t
$ touch ü
$ LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 echo * | od -c
0000000    u  ¨  **  \n 
$ LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 echo ü | od -c
0000000    ü  **  \n                                                    
My Mac OS X build containt a fix against this (until this will be fixed in the game itself).
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

muxec wrote:nonobots, I used Mac a little at university classes and it looked as OS for photoshop only, absolutely unsuitable for home use...
What on earth madde you think like that?

So far Mac OS X has been by far the easiest OS to use and maintain, over both Windows and Linux.

Partly because Macs have been desinged for OS X, not the other way around as with Windows, Linux and others. Which makes it work perfectly with the hardware, unless something breaks down.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

i agree, but i don't think it's the pc-mac war thread :wink:
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Quentin wrote:i agree, but i don't think it's the pc-mac war thread :wink:
Yeah, why do PC users always seem to make everything a war against Macs?

And there accusations seem so counter-intuitive: to me, it has always seemed that Macs are more, not less, suitable for home use. The contrary claim I find to be confusing....
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

OK....

Please refrain from inter-platform wars here. It is unprofitable and not in the spirit of this forum.

Please stick to development issues, guys(and gals).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Star Gazer wrote: Please refrain from inter-platform wars here. It is unprofitable and not in the spirit of this forum.
I concur. We try to make Wesnoth available for as many platforms as possible, and we definitely don't want to alienate segments of the community by making fun of their platform.

Also, I might add, many attempts at 'platform advocacy' are counter-productive, as they just make users of that platform look uninformed, immature, and fanatical.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
muxec

Post by muxec »

Sorry for offtopic. I just feared that due to problems on some platforms this release will not be considered stable enough for 1.0 release.
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.