First Wesnoth 1.0 release candidate

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

muxec

Post by muxec »

Windows version is unstable on my computer. I played wesnoth multyplayer and suddenly
wesnoth.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

That's unfortunate... I have an odd quirk with Wesnoth on one of my Linux machines (should I post this elsewhere?). I have mice with scroll buttons on all of my machines, but on one of them, if I ever try to use it, it kills the wesnoth game. Kills as in, no matter where I am in the game or the wesnoth menu, the entire program is terminated. No error messages or anything. I think it has to do with the configuration of that machine, but I'm not sure.
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

muxec wrote:I'm suprised by the number of MacOS players here. All MacOS users are rumored to be professional actors imcompatible with games.
I can assure you that this is an unfounded urban myth. :)
Do I see many MacOS users here due to the number of MacOS players or due to the number of problems on this platform?
According to a couple polls I saw in the forums a while back, the usage ranking was like this:

Linux : Mac OS X : Windows

I don't know if the download statistics would tell the same story, but I do believe Mac users (and Linux users) are more likely than Windows users to try out freeware because they have fewer commercial games available.

WRT problems, it might seem that way because there are two people compiling different builds of the game, and they are both trying to remain compatible with versions of Mac OS X that they do not have access to for testing.

I really like some of the improvements Iwa has added, and I hope him and Sithrandel can get their builds on the same page sometime.
<rcarello>
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

rogue wrote:According to a couple polls I saw in the forums a while back, the usage ranking was like this:

Linux : Mac OS X : Windows
A forum poll might yield a result like this because most Windows players will most likely just use MP and never go to the forums. More interesting is the ranking for active contributors which is most likely (counting everything from developers to campaign authors and translators):

Mac OS X > Linux > Windows

It might be that the amount of contributors using Linux is equal or higher to OS X but the latter has most of the authors and artists.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm in the minority? :(

I'm not sure why that is... I guess maybe because the linux crowd is more likely to be made up of programmers than artists.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Most Windows users are not really familiar with the idea behind Open Source and that you may contribute to it easily. I guess that's the main reason. As Mac users tend to be ones who care for design it's not so strange that probably most of the campaign authors are Mac users. At least that's my experience with WesCamp.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
muxec

Post by muxec »

Windows version still crashes often if tryng to play downloaded campaign without restarting. Also crashes in multiplayer.
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:I'm in the minority? :(

I'm not sure why that is... I guess maybe because the linux crowd is more likely to be made up of programmers than artists.
You've got 3 campaigns under your belt and your saying your a artist, more of a programmer to me, just use both and everyone is happy.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

WML is not programming. As torangan said, most AUTHORS use Macs. Writing campaigns = you are an author. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm