Wesnoth 0.9.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

scott wrote:At this point I think it would be easier to teach the mac people how to compile, since it was surprisingly easy with the command line (like ott has been saying this whole time). I have to say I still prefer the XCode version, but when in a pinch, do it yourself is ok.
Yeah, it does look easy, thanks for posting the info. I always compiled it with xCode before because I had heard that Wesnoth is difficult to compile on the command line. It sounds like that has changed. I generally don't compile unless I'm working on a patch simply because it takes forever on my computer.
<rcarello>
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Well it took me around 1 hour to compile on my G4 (350Mhz, 448 Ram) so i guess it's usually not that long.. I am sorry you are not able to run the game.. anyway in the "Developer's Discussion" forum there is a thread about compiling on mac which could be useful to you if you attempt to do it yourself..
It took me one afternoon to understand, download and compile everything (first i tried with XCode too, unsuccessfully); i hope you are able to do it quicker, the guide is really well made and quite clear. :wink: :D
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

rogue wrote:
Hellrider wrote:I wrote that a few posts above..
Anyway copy it in your desktop folder then open up the terminal and drag and drop that "black thing" in the terminal's window.. Now you just need to press Enter to launch the game :D
Thanks for posting your build. Unfortunately, I get this:

Code: Select all

dyld: /Applications/wesnoth can't open library: /sw/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.0.dylib  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
Any thoughts?
I get " The following disk images failed to mount:
Image: Wesnoth 0.9.5
Reason: No mountable file systems"

Well, looks like when I get the time, and my sister will get off the computer, for once, I'll have to look at do-it-yourself compiling on a mac. Just hope I don't have to d/l too much on my 56k. :(
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

To compile Wesnoth on your mac, you need the source code (around 35Mb), and Developer's Tools installed (you can install them from your osX dvd/cds or download them through http://developer.apple.com but it's too much to download for a 56k); then you have to install fink and activate all the unstable packages (it took me a few hours), then just follow the steps explained here.. :wink:
Good luck :)
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

thanks hellrider... :)
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

How does the command line build differ from the one built on XCode?

For me the actual compiling propably wouldn't be a problem, my problem is that I can't get fink to install correctly and install all of the needed libraries when doing that... *sigh*

EDIT: actually, the problem seems to be that gcc 3.3 refuses to install on my year-old iBook. For no reason. gcc3.1 doesn't complain.

If I could get that installed, I could propably get fink to work too, and compile... but, alas, I can't. :(
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

Well I am sure the official realse should be out soon :)
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Good:for when the next version?
Great Mage Nicolas
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

sigh....hopefully before then, I don't mind waiting. Plus I am using Scott's version. :)

Its not completly the same, but its useable. :D
The darksteel eye

lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

After some hours spent fighting against XCode, I've build
a runable version for Mac OS X. But for some reason, the translations
does not work. I will try to make it in order before to publish a release, unless someone else is more advanced.

Notice that "sh configure && make install" is much more easy than using XCode but the result is less pretty. Also, the hints given by Scott are only mainlines, a lot of stuff are broken and XCode is somewhat buggy; it does not compile like this.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

lwa wrote:After some hours spent fighting against XCode, I've build
a runable version for Mac OS X. But for some reason, the translations
does not work. I will try to make it in order before to publish a release, unless someone else is more advanced.

Notice that "sh configure && make install" is much more easy than using XCode but the result is less pretty. Also, the hints given by Scott are only mainlines, a lot of stuff are broken and XCode is somewhat buggy; it does not compile like this.
I got the translations to work, but I don't have any webspace to upload the binary. What I did was made it with Xcode, as normal, but then made it through the Terminal too. Then I moved games/wesnoth/translations into BfW/Contents/Resources and renamed it messages.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
clemming

Post by clemming »

i don't know how u guys can call this easy.

in the last 3 hours i have managed to get fink working, and insall all libs except sdl-net and gettext.

i followed the directions on the fink website to allow unstable packages about 50 times.... around the 10th time i realized i needed to change system permissions, because it kept reverting to backup for one reason or another. every time i would save it would revert back. so after finally getting the tree line changed on fink.conf, when i run selfupdate, or anything else it says disto version not specified, and then gives me about 20 lines of *WARNING*. and gettext is just a mess... 400 different versions on it on the net, can;t get any to install.... and then of course comple halts on wesnoth when 2/5ths of the libs it needs are missing....

-sigh-

i don't claim to be an expert, i have taken a few classes on c++ and java, but man, this is an awful lot of work just to play online... i have read about this being a free project and whatnot.... but as far as mac goes, the only thing for the platform worth playing are open source like this one, because anything commercial take 400 years for a buggy,semi functioning port of it to come on mac.

i hope the official package comes out soon....

on a side note, it's a great game, when u don;t have tp spend 3 hours a day for 3 days solid trying to install it.... lol.... then again some things out of commercial boxes for pc took that long... once u consider reformatting and all after it corrupts half your .dll's beyond salvage....

sorry for going on like that, just frustrated.... any ideas?
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Finaly, I compiled the stuff successfuly on Mac OS X with translation working. But, I need libiconv witch sound to be not present on oldest Mac OS X. I have seen abiword has a clean method to handle this. I will take a look.

About gettext, if you want to compile, just install a fresh version and
link it staticaly. Ignore the "intl" own copy step.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Here we go.

I've build a working version for Mac OS X, you may try it downloading it from

ftp://victor.teaser.fr/pub/lwa/wesnoth/ ... _0.9.5.dmg

It take 45Mb.

It's the first time I used Xcode (the Apple development system).
Please, tell me if it work on older MacOSX releases (10.2.8+, 10.3.x), particulary if you don't have home compiled stuff (by hand, from fink, darwinports or so.) If everything is all right, I should be able to build the 1.0 version when avaiable.

I have rewritten (hacked) a big part the project for Xcode and included
a up to date notice on how to rebuild from sources using this project. Most of blocking Xcode issue are resolved using shell script.

Some things still need to be cleared, for example, the preferences file is mispelled (org.wenoth).

Currently I havn't be able to compile the external map editor due to a missing symbol on linking. I'll try to debug this later but I'm not a C++ developer.
[/url]
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

clemming wrote:i don't know how u guys can call this easy.
Probably because we are trained with. Personnaly, I trashed fink, darwinports & co because I think they don't install stuffs cleanly then I compile all by myself. I'm used to do like this since 15 years ago on Unix systems, so installing a missing package is a simple routine.