Wesnoth 0.9.2

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

What do you think of the trouble people are having getting it to run on 10.3?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

scott wrote:What do you think of the trouble people are having getting it to run on 10.3?
I've personally run the build of four different 10.3.9 systems (1ghz MDD G4, 933mhz G3 iBook, 1ghz G4 iBook, 1.8ghz DP G5) and it works perfectly. I'm doubtful the OS is the problem.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
RequiemOfReason

Post by RequiemOfReason »

I am having great difficulty running it on 10.3. This is mainly because I don't freaking have Ten Point Three!!. Give us poor Jaguar users a chance!
I am sorry for that outburst... but it's $130 to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. That's money I don't have.
Reality is an escape for people who can't face dreams...
And no, that's not by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

RequiemOfReason wrote:I am having great difficulty running it on 10.3. This is mainly because I don't freaking have Ten Point Three!!. Give us poor Jaguar users a chance!
I am sorry for that outburst... but it's $130 to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. That's money I don't have.
Are we talking US dollars or another currency? I ask because 10.4 can be bought for US$99, while 10.3 can be purchased for US$47 or less.

From what I've heard this isn't an issue of choosing not to support 10.2, but of libraries used not being compatible with 10.2. I believe people have been previously unsuccessful in compiling Wesnoth on 10.2 (since gettext?), but you (or someone else that has 10.2) could attempt it.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Grignr

Post by Grignr »

At least one previous version of Wesnoth has worked just fine on 10.2, actually. I use 10.2.1 and had no problems at all with the OS X release of Wesnoth 0.8.11 (though I haven't tried 0.9.0 or 0.9.1).

I'm disappointed that I apparently won't be able to play the new release. I'd attempt compiling it myself, but I'm on a dialup connection, which means that downloading the 700+ MB XCode 2.1 isn't really an option for me. (Likewise, it was quite frustrating to spend two hours downloading an official 0.9.2 release advertised as being for "OS X" only to discover that it doesn't work on the version of OS X I use. Could the link on the Downloads page specify which OS X versions 0.9.2 will run on?)

If anyone does create a 0.9.2 build that runs on 10.2.*, I too would be grateful.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

There is a single prob with having a wesnoth 0.9.2 release for MacOSX 10.2. Sitrandel has managed to do the build in a way that it also works with 10.2. But this time the build was not done by Sitradel, because he had no time / just changed to the new XCode 2.1 and was not able to provide the build. Crimson Penguin was so kind to do a build, but he does not know, how to change the libs in a way, that it works definatly with 10.2.
You should be happy to HAVE a mac version at all. You can try to make a static build yourself. I can only whish you good luck for this, because it is not this trival.
Please do not post stuff like this. If there are real bugs, feel free to post them at http://bugs.wesnoth.org. The packages are made by volunteers that are so kind to offer their time and uploadrate to deliver it for you. OFFICIALLY there are ONLY the sources!
scott

Post by scott »

You're right, but the complaints are useful to try to figure out the problem. Now that some 10.3 people are having trouble it would be nice to figure out why. The lack of 10.2 support is more of a skill problem than a will problem.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

I have a 500Mhz G3 iBook running 10.3.7 and 9.2 won't run. :(
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Concerning probs with the MAC-Version:
Okay, so now to the problems. Which build are you using? The official one, available at sourceforge, or the inofficial version done by scott. AFAIK these versions are not the same. They are both build with the 0.9.2 sources, but done by different people. The official version can be found at "Downloads" the inofficial here in the forum.
Please report which version you are using or if both versions do have problems. BOTH versions are most likely not working with 10.2, simply because the only packager that has the skill for building a 10.2 compatible version is trying to build wesnoth with the new XCode 2.1 at the moment. He said, that he will do the package for the next release, but there WILL NOT be an official 10.2 compatible build.
So please do state, which version you are using and try the other one, if you got probs with the one you are using atm.
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

I'm using the official one from http://www.wesnoth.org/downloads
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Well, while you don't have 10.3+, I don't have anything other than 10.4 - you have a problem playing with 10.3 because you don't have it, I have a problem building for 10.2, because I don't have it. Also, if you bought 10.2 (that includes getting a computer with it installed) you should have the developer tools CD which would install Project Builder, which should be able to build it (I don't think XCode would work on 10.2 anyway,) however I don't really recommend it, since it'd probably be pretty hard.

If you 10.3 people could give me more info I might be able to help - right now I have no idea what the problem is. One place to find info is in the system profile in console.log (under Logs.) If you looked there after trying to open Wesnoth it'd probably say something about why it didn't work. You get to System Profile from the Apple menu > About This Mac > "More Info..."
It'd also help if you told me exactly what happens when you try opening it.
Grignr

Post by Grignr »

To reply to ivanovic, I apologize if I appeared ungrateful for the existing Mac versions-- this wasn't my intent; on the contrary, I really appreciate that there are people so kind as to offer OS X builds at all.

The version I tried was penguin's build from the Downloads page. It installed with no problems, but when I double-click on the Konrad icon to launch the game, it opens, bounces its icon once in my dock, and immediately quits (with no error message) before the title screen appears. That's on OS 10.2.1, but it sounds like the same problem that one of the 10.3 users reported. I haven't tried scott's build yet, though I will if there's any potential that it could work on my machine.

And thanks, penguin, I didn't realize that I already have something I could potentially build it with. I'll take a look at Project Builder and see what I can do, though if you consider it hard then it's probably going to be way out of my league.
scott

Post by scott »

I thought gettext didn't work on 10.2 unless you had it installed. However, if you build it for yourself then maybe it would work.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

scott wrote:I thought gettext didn't work on 10.2 unless you had it installed. However, if you build it for yourself then maybe it would work.
There are a lot of fudges to get the 10.2 support fully functional as that system is still migrating towards standards, 10.3 and 10.4 support more of the standards Wesnoth expects out of the box. So although 10.2 is possible, it does require some effort to keep it alive.

I am grateful that the Penguin managed to get a build up because the release coincided with getting back from holiday. The holiday mean that the day job is busier than usual and eating into lunch breaks big time.

This is why I have decided to concentrate on sorting out XCode 2.1 and Intel issues as a priority.
kilder
Translator

Mac OS X problems

Post by kilder »

I've tried to run wesnoth (mac os x 10.3.6) and when I double click it in the dock, it just bounces one time and then nothing

Trying it with the console on background gave me these results:
dyld: /Users/jose/Desktop/juegos/Battle For Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Battle For Wesnoth can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
where can i download that lib?? i've got to upgrade to 10.3.9??

EDIT: that's with penguin's version. i'm too lazy to download scott's one with my poor and slow dial-up connection