Wesnoth 0.9.2

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gomez

Post by Gomez »

Dragonking wrote:
HellHammer wrote:Okay, whenever I try to connect ot the server with v 9.2 it goes "Connecting to server..." and then "Could not connect to host." Why is this?
There were some problems with server, now it works fine.
Have fun

Well, I don't want to annoy you, but I still have this problem, I can't connect to host. I've been trying for half an hour and no way. Anyway I will continue to try :)

Gomez
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

Yay!

We are still big fans of Wesnoth over at TheOpenCD project so your release get front page coverage: http://www.theopencd.org/ :)

We plan to release our new version in about a month, and are happy to have a shiny new version of Wesnoth for it (see list of apps).
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Noy wrote:Again you completely didn't read my point.
+1 point-> Far more effective Melee attacks, Rather than being limited to just Pierce, the DF has a more effective combination of Blade and Crush, with its secondary damage attack being extremely powerful.

+1 point -> Higher resistances. Having fairly equal modifiers, and better movement rates but one movement point less, really the resistances take the cake. It also has 6 more hp.
And after that, -1 point due to the Spearman's ranged attack and first strike. Analysis based on a fairly arbitrary point-scheme without even considering all the aspects of the compared units it generally bogus.
If you think a 7-3 FS Pierce and 6-1 pierced ranged + first strike = 7-3 Blade and 9-2 Crush Melee, you're dreaming. The Spearman is completely reliant on one attack, pierce. Having Blade and crush enables the fighter to be a far more effective melee attack unit than the Spearman could ever hope to be. Sorry you don't have a leg to stand on there.
pillager wrote:
You just don't understand my argument. I said "balancing based on factions", not "balancing based on multiplayer". Allow me to explain:
No, now you're changing your argument. You said campaigns, not eras or factions. let me quote you one more time:
pillager wrote:that it's a cheap way to help multiplayer but it hurts era and campaign designers

So don't say that I misunderstood you, when you said something else at the start. My answer was calibrated towards your initial statement.
The two balancing schemes are as follows: Mine, which states that each unit should be balanced to be of as equal power as possible; and yours, which states that each faction should be of as equal power as possible, with secondarially the goal of making the units fairly balanced.
If that happened we'd have a boring boring game. People don't play units, they play strategies. You want to have different strategies vs each faction so that Units inherently shouldn't be balanced against one another. When we make decisions, we watch how the units are used. Units fit into this by enabling overall strategies. Just having a mathamatical chart of all the units doesn't count. You need to see what are the strategies involved in their application, and base changes on which strategies are overpowering. By this balancing,
Some units should be weak to other units, while stronger than others to themselves. That makes the game fun. You shouldn't be able to pick up any old unit and charge into battle with them. You need to pick and chose carefully. The end result of your suggestion is having less major resistances and units being fairly bland, because everybody has a chance to kill everything else.
The only conflict between those two schemes is when a faction can be balanced by unbalanicing a unit. Thus, if they ever conflict, then your scheme says we should make some units overpowered, and some underpowered.

I, as an era designer, will assemble units into eras which consist of units, mainly from the Default area, but with no care paid to which factions they come from. I may wish to use a set of units which your scheme will make all overpowered, and a set of units which your scheme will make all underpowered.
No, if you wanted to put together an era you can pick or chose from the units we had. Default is the baseline. Thats what it is intended to be. I and most others agree that Wesnoth needs one balanced era that most people play, rather than being a hodge podge of compromises for different things that some people may find interesting in awhile.

pillager wrote: By your scheme, I cannot do this and keep a balanced era. By my scheme, I can. By your scheme, the eras will be balanced; by mine, the eras will also be balanced. With yours, however, this will come quicker, just as putting a band-aid on a stab wound will make it seem healed quicker on the surface. But if you try to go any deeper, to use any units for anything but the Default era, it will hurt.
BTW for V 1.0 only default era, and maybe age of heroes will be supported. I have some ideas for other eras, but I don't know if they can be done in time.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Rothrorn wrote:Just as soon as Sithrandel or some other good soul can do it. Like most mac users he is probably in a state of shock regarding the Apple-Intel announcement :shock:
Too right... installing XCode 2.1 at the moment... After all, we need to make sure the Universal Binary of Wesnoth works on Intel too :D
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Sithrandel wrote:
Rothrorn wrote:Just as soon as Sithrandel or some other good soul can do it. Like most mac users he is probably in a state of shock regarding the Apple-Intel announcement :shock:
Too right... installing XCode 2.1 at the moment... After all, we need to make sure the Universal Binary of Wesnoth works on Intel too :D
Apple-intel announcement?
ihsan

Post by ihsan »

Ankka wrote:
Sithrandel wrote: Too right... installing XCode 2.1 at the moment... After all, we need to make sure the Universal Binary of Wesnoth works on Intel too :D
Apple-intel announcement?
Apple decided to use Intel intead of IBM's CPUs.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050603-4970.html
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Is this a 9.2 bug?

Post by santi »

Ok, I downloaded and built 9.2
I have many campaigns in ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns
some old.
First thing noticed, it takes a really LONG time for anything to appear
When something DOES appear, it is

rror loading game configuration files
error general: Error loading game configuration files: 'Missing closing tag for tag campaign at /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Unrest.cfg:1 included from data/game.cfg:25 at data/scenario-test.cfg:254 included from data/game.cfg:1714' (The game will now exit)
closing audio...
final closing audio...
done closing audio...
Missing closing tag for tag campaign at /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Unrest.cfg:1 included from data/game.cfg:25 at data/scenario-test.cfg:254 included from data/game.cfg:1714

I THINK THIS MAY BE A BUG, SINCE WHETHER A USER CAMPAIGN iS BUGGY OR SIMPLY OUT OF DATE, SHOULD NOT PREVENT THE VALID CAMPAIGNS
FROM LOADING

I ran this from command line. Some other typical errors I get :
error config: too much nested preprocessing inclusions at 6 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Liberty/scenarios/liberty5.cfg 234 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//Liberty.cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns//(Campaign_Name).cfg 101 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/(Campaign_Name).cfg 25 data/game.cfg. Aborting.

error config: #ifdef not terminated, started at 15 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Illusion_Campaign.cfg 25 data/game.cfg
error config: #ifdef not terminated, started at 21 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Revenge.cfg 25 data/game.cfg
error config: #ifdef not terminated, started at 35 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/The_South_Guard.cfg 25 data/game.cfg
error config: #ifdef not terminated, started at 40 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns.cfg 25 data/game.cfg
error config: #ifdef not terminated, started at 19 /home/me/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Unrest.cfg 25 data/game.cfg
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

I have made an OS X build, which is available here:
http://www.analogllama.com/bfwOSX092.dmg
If that doesn't work, try:
http://www.thejenovaproject.com/bfwOSX092.dmg
(Thanks to Gafgarion for adding data to it and uploading/hosting it.)

This build probably won't work on 10.2, but translations do work in it, and it does work on 10.3+.
Last edited by penguin on June 7th, 2005, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Is this a 9.2 bug?

Post by Dave »

santi wrote: I THINK THIS MAY BE A BUG, SINCE WHETHER A USER CAMPAIGN iS BUGGY OR SIMPLY OUT OF DATE, SHOULD NOT PREVENT THE VALID CAMPAIGNS
FROM LOADING
Yeah it's a known bug and we're planning to resolve it in a future release.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Attila

Post by Attila »

penguin wrote:I have made an OS X build, which is available here:

This build probably won't work on 10.2, but translations do work in it, and it does work on 10.3+.
I'm using 10.3 and when I try to open it the icon shows up for half a second and then disappears and it doesn't start.
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

Is it just me or is the lobby different in 9.2????? :?

The music is a little different

and the konrad symbal before you open the game is back to its earlier stages not the one that was there in 9.1
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
mezz

Post by mezz »

locale installation doesn't work anymore for some reason. I have gettext 0.14.4, Wesnoth 0.9.1 works fine but not 0.9.2. Here's log of build/installation:

Code: Select all

checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/local/bin/msgmerge

[...]

checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for iconv... yes
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... yes
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... external libintl
checking how to link with libintl... /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib

[...]

config.status: creating po/wesnoth/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-editor/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-editor/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-lib/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-lib/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-httt/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-httt/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-tdh/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-tdh/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-sotbe/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-sotbe/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-ei/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-ei/Makefile
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-trow/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/wesnoth-trow/Makefile
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing translations commands
===>  Building for wesnoth-0.9.2
gmake  all-recursive
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2'
Making all in po
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2/po'
Making all in wesnoth
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2/po/wesnoth'
gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2/po/wesnoth'
Making all in wesnoth-editor
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2/po/wesnoth-editor'

[...]

Making install in po
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2/po'
Making install in wesnoth
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mezz/commit/wesnoth/work/wesnoth-0.9.2/po/wesnoth'
/bin/sh ../../config/mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/wesnoth/share
install: ./af.gmo: No such file or directory
installing ./af.gmo as /var/tmp/wesnoth/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES/wesnoth.mo
install: ./bg.gmo: No such file or directory
installing ./bg.gmo as /var/tmp/wesnoth/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/wesnoth.mo
install: ./ca.gmo: No such file or directory
[...goes on...]
Any hint?
mezz

Post by mezz »

mezz wrote:locale installation doesn't work anymore for some reason. I have gettext 0.14.4, Wesnoth 0.9.1 works fine but not 0.9.2. Here's log of build/installation:

Code: Select all

<snip>
Any hint?
I have solved it by remove all stamp-po file in the tarball.

# find wesnoth-0.9.2 -name stamp-po -delete
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

penguin wrote:I have made an OS X build, which is available here:

It works great in 10.3.9. No problems downloading, and no problems with performance (so far, though I only played for a couple of hours).

And "Disappearing Dacyn" has been fixed AFAICT. He wasn't appearing after I got out of the tunnel in the Eastern Invasion campaign, even though he was clearly supposed to be there, so I gave up on the scenario and moved on to something else. I loaded my saved game and he now shows up correctly.

Thanks for the OS X build, and thanks to everyone who works on this game. It's great fun (though very frustrating at times). :D
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Dave wrote:
Yeah it's a known bug and we're planning to resolve it in a future release
Ok, thanks. This means (for user campaigns)wait for 0.9.3 or 0.9.2b?
BTW: I build this with editor enable(for the first time). Could this have something to do with the problem?

Also, what exactly is it that breaks things in EVERY user contributed distribution, like Liberty, which is probably the most standards-conforming
user campaign?

Also, what will happen to pre 0.9.0 savefiles? Will they work, not work
but make no harm or break the loading? Is there apatch to make them work?