Wesnoth 0.9.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
varradami wrote:Forgive me if this is a stupid newbie question, but will saves from 0.8.11 work on 0.9.0? I'd started the campaign, and while I haven't gotten too far yet (Siege of Elensefar), I'd rather not have to play that over again.
They will, although sometimes it gives 'errors' when you try to load them; just click 'ok' to all the dialogs, and it'll load anyway.
Which is a little confusing...

Just when you start to think it won't load at all it will.

BTW, where should bugs be reported? There have been some serious ones found when playing MP... for instance adepts can't be leveled, or that's what I have been told.
lynx

Post by lynx »

The bugtracker at savannah is the best place. :oops:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=wesnoth
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Ankka wrote:There have been some serious ones found when playing MP... for instance adepts can't be leveled, or that's what I have been told.
The adept bug has been fixed and will be in 0.9.1. What are the other ones that you allude to?
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
varradami

Post by varradami »

Cool, thanks for the info. Will go emerge now and see the shiny new updates. :) Sadly it wants me to update gcc first. Blah!

I think life is consipring against me to prevent me from doing my school work though. A Wesnoth update, plus UPS should be delivering my copy of Werewolf: the Forsaken, all in one day. Plus I need to do my laundry. I don't really need that masters degree, do I? :(
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Why is this not yet in the news?

Sorry if this has been asked, I haven't had the time to read the entire thread.
Sorry for the meaningless post
js138

Post by js138 »

Having looked at the CVS source, is the immediate fix for the Dark Adept upgrade just to change Dark_Adept.cfg so the upgrade is just Necromancer instead of Sourcerer?

Seems to work for me single player at least.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

js138 wrote:Having looked at the CVS source, is the immediate fix for the Dark Adept upgrade just to change Dark_Adept.cfg so the upgrade is just Necromancer instead of Sourcerer?

Seems to work for me single player at least.
Yes.

The eventual solution will be to basically do that, and then maybe make it so the necromancer has an alternative advancement in the "dark sorcerer". (no such unit as the "sorceror".)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

hmm.... there isnt windows version, its bad for project, most humans using windows on his pc, i can understand you all can hate windows as me, but some users....
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

tomsik wrote:hmm.... there isnt windows version, its bad for project, most humans using windows on his pc, i can understand you all can hate windows as me, but some users....
Remember, this is an open source project. Anyone capable can compile a Windows binary. When I've been away others have produced a MacOSX package... if there isn't one there, it doesn't mean someone is avoiding it, just that there isn't anyone around with the time to offer it.

Also... if you are unsatisfied, you can always ask for your money back :wink:
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

how it can be more popular whenn most of players cant play it, i talking about low-knowlage-users, not that users who know mingw etc.
lynx

Post by lynx »

1. Mp isn't everything. Infact, many value the sp part more. No conflict with having and old wesnoth there.
2. What's the hurry? It's done *voluntarily*, so be greatful or ask for that refund. Or get someone at lvl3 to compile it and bundle it for other low-level users.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I think it is a case of it will grow more popular as time goes on. Releasing a certain OS a week or more after another won't cause users of that OS to abandon it (or there wouldn't be any Mac users at all ;) ).

I also think it is worth remembering (as already stated) that single player is a popular option for some. In many games, WC, WCII, WCIII, SC, Diablo, Diablo II - I far more enjoyed the single player campaigns than multiplayer. The exception for me was Myth :)

MP users tend to frequent forums, etc. more often than SP users, but that doesn't mean that the game should concentrate on MP as we don't really know how many SP users there are out there.

There could be an argument for not updating the server until the major OSs are out... but then which would be considered major. I quite like the level playing field aspect of it. The OSs are treated equally and fairly... there aren't any second-class-citizens in the Wesnoth world.

I also think that there is a rising number of users who are expecting professional customer support for a beta version of an open source game. I would be disappointed if the server bounced users on every increment after version 1 - unless an auto patch existed (like BNet). Before version 1, however, that is to be expected. The game is in development and that could be slowed by freezing protocols, etc.

The alternative might be to have multiple servers... e.g. 0.9.0 on one and 0.8.11 on another, with the server you connect to updating your server info if you point to the wrong one. Of course, if that were done, how many would you support?
pravin

Post by pravin »

isaac wrote:and I've also uploaded the Debian packages to Debian unstable.

Debian: http://people.debian.org/~isaac/wesnoth/
Umm ... where do I get libsdl-mixer1.2.6 from?

Code: Select all

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wesnoth:
 wesnoth depends on libsdl-mixer1.2 (>= 1.2.6); however:
  Version of libsdl-mixer1.2 on system is 1.2.5-9.
EDIT: Wesnoth works though. But Synaptic says Broken package.
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
lynx

Post by lynx »

You could try removing the old version first and then installing the newer one.

such dependeny resolution ttt :P
SyKnEt

Post by SyKnEt »

Normal than edit doesn't run anymore on Mac OS X ? Can't launch it :?