Wesnoth 0.8.5 released

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

fmunoz wrote:Stop working so hard!!!!
I was unable to finish any of my pending wesnoth images to be included in the last 3 releases.
;-)
We all have fond memories of your work, Fmunoz. I hope you're having fun in Denmark and aren't working too hard. I look forward to more of your work, we've missed your contributions and your presence on the forums.
Ilya

Post by Ilya »

The game is very good. Thank for it. But it has one very serious bug. In fullscreen mode resolution is 1024x768. :-( I need 800x600 in fullscreen. When will be fix it? And when will be available Russian translation?
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

Ilya wrote:The game is very good. Thank for it. But it has one very serious bug. In fullscreen mode resolution is 1024x768. :-( I need 800x600 in fullscreen. When will be fix it? And when will be available Russian translation?
if you go to the preferences menu and click on "display" and then "video mode," you can change the resolution yourself.

As for russian translation, we only have translations in the languages which helpful contributers happen to speak - if you want to become a helpful contributer, then go to the Translations & Internationalization forum and post a thread about how to do a russian translation. I'm sure they'll be happy to teach you, as wesnoth is always happy for contributions.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Ilya

Post by Ilya »

joshbosh321 wrote:if you go to the preferences menu and click on "display" and then "video mode," you can change the resolution yourself.
"There are no alternative video modes available"

I wrote in ~/.wesnoth/preferences:
xwindowsize="800"
ywindowsize="600"

but fullscreen resolution is 1024x768.

driver: Nvidia 1.0-6111
game version: 0.8
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

why are you using game version 0.8? it is not the most recent version, and doesn't have many of the features referred to by devs.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

It's an officially stable release.
By implication all the rest are unstable.

I see little difference between stable and unstable releases except that after an unstable release seems to work without a whole lot of bug fixes, then they fix the small # of bugs and slap a .1 increment on it.

But it clearly means something to somebody.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:It's an officially stable release.
By implication all the rest are unstable..
yes, but if you are using a stable version bug reporting becomes less useful, since the bug might already be fixed in latest unstable version.

Its like the problem with people not checking bugs in CVS, but magnified about 5 times (since 5 releases in between...)

well, its a two-edged sword. It IS more stable, but it comes with a price.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I must admit that Wesnoth 'stable' versions thusfar seem mostly to be simply be derived from the "development has been going on for a while, we should release a new stable version" mindset, rather than anything which would actually make them that much more stable.

I am hoping to change this by 1.0, but at the moment they don't mean much. Part of this, to our credit, is because the 'development' versions are usually pretty stable in their own right.

Most projects that are very committed to stable versions will branch every time they release a stable version, and backport fixes to serious bugs to their stable version, and release a new version of it. The main reason we haven't done this in Wesnoth is probably because I have a poor understanding of CVS, and find it hard to get my head around branching :)

I think it's something we'll have to tackle after 1.0. For our game to be useful to people who aren't always interested in 'bleeding edge' stuff, we must show commitment to our stable versions.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Y'know Dave, what you just said is quite possibly the one thing which to me sets you apart from all the other game developers I've seen. I don't think I've ever heard any of them say, "For our game to be useful to people who aren't always interested in 'bleeding edge' stuff, we must show commitment to our stable versions."

Thank you.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
cedric

Post by cedric »

autolycus wrote:Thank you.
Maybe you should wait for something to be actually done before congratulating. ;)

Well, this kind of backward support is not something so uncommon as you seem to think. I'm not speaking about games specifically, but free software in general.

--
Cedric
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

:)
the backward support is common, but the words are rare!
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Iron

windows VC6 build failing

Post by Iron »

It could well be my setup, but with the 0.8.5 source I get the following (sorry about the length of some of these):-

g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer.cpp(80) : error C2040: 'i' : 'struct config *const * ' differs in levels of indirection from 'class std::_Tree<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,struct std::p
air<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const ,struct player_info>,struct std::map<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,struct player_info,struct
std::less<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >,class std::allocator<struct player_info> >::_Kfn,struct std::less<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<cha
r> > >,class std::allocator<struct player_info> >::iterator'

g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer.cpp(81) : error C2100: illegal indirection

g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer.cpp(81) : error C2676: binary '[' : 'struct std::pair<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const ,struct player_info>' does not define this operator or a convers
ion to a type acceptable to the predefined operator

g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer_connect.cpp(115) : error C2371: 'i' : redefinition; different basic types
g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer_connect.cpp(90) : see declaration of 'i'

g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer_connect.cpp(115) : error C2039: 'first' : is not a member of 'iterator'

g:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\multiplayer_connect.cpp(115) : error C2039: 'second' : is not a member of 'iterator'

fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'G:\dev\wesnoth-0.8.5\src\editor\scenario_editor.cpp': No such file or directory

Call it curiosity, but the programmer in me would really like to get this building ;). If its something wrong on my end then fair enough, but I thought I'd point it out in case its the distributed source that's to blame.

Btw, is it theoretically possible to build wesnoth with Mingw or Cygwin?
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: windows VC6 build failing

Post by Dave »

Iron wrote:It could well be my setup, but with the 0.8.5 source I get the following (sorry about the length of some of these):-
What compiler are you using? VC++? What version?
Iron wrote: Btw, is it theoretically possible to build wesnoth with Mingw or Cygwin?
Theoretically, yes. No-one has ever actually managed it though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Iron

Post by Iron »

Sorry, Visual C++ 6.0, using the .dsp and .dsw project files that were in the tarball.
Iron

Post by Iron »

Actually I just got it to compile with mingw. Provided all the libraries are installed it builds without a problem. One question though - the executable is some 41mb in size. It runs ok, but why would it be so huge?

edit: nm, compiling without -g does the trick.