Wesnoth 1.8.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.0

Post by EvilEarl »

I'm gonna risk my being-able-to-log-in status and ask, have any of the linux users found Wesnoth 1.8 on the repositories yet? I haven't seen it come up yet and all of the previous updates would always make it to Linux within two or three days.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Which distribution and, if appliccable, which version of it are you running?
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

Ubuntu, I'm using whatever the latest stable version is.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
adm

Post by adm »

For some reason the wesnoth packages have been renamed in Debian/Ubuntu.

At the moment there are 2 different wenoth versions in Debian/Ubuntu. Wesnoth 1.8 already is in the Ubuntu 10.04 repositories. Apt-get install wesnoth will still install wesnoth 1.6, while apt-get install wesnoth-1.8 will install wesnoth 1.8.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

adm wrote:For some reason the wesnoth packages have been renamed in Debian/Ubuntu.

At the moment there are 2 different wenoth versions in Debian/Ubuntu. Wesnoth 1.8 already is in the Ubuntu 10.04 repositories. Apt-get install wesnoth will still install wesnoth 1.6, while apt-get install wesnoth-1.8 will install wesnoth 1.8.
10.04? I see now. It won't show up for the 9.04 repositories as they are already out of date. Since this one seems to have come out this month, I'm just gonna have to wait until it's upgrade-ready before I can continue (it would have been convenient to submit it to 9.04 repositories so that Ubuntu users wouldn't have to wait for the upgrade-setup.)
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
adm

Post by adm »

Well, that depends. Ubuntu never adds major new versions to the repositories of stable releases to avoid regressions.

But you can always use unofficial packages like the packages from IT-wesnoth.

Take a look at the linux binary page.

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesnothBinariesLinux
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

Hi!

The reason for the rename is intentionally to be able to have them installed side-by-side. Some users wished for that and I finally got round to make it happen so that they don't lose the possibility to continue their started campaign because of a distribution upgrade.

About wesnoth 1.8 in 9.10 - that will happen through karmic-backports. I just have to dig up the procedures and give them a shot, please be a bit more patient with me, I've never done that before and wesnoth 1.8 is out only for so long.

About using the packages from the inofficial it-wesnoth repository: I would rather discourage using them. There have been often issues in the past with those like missing required changes in the packaging until someone told them explicitly, they seem to track what I do in the official packages.

Thanks,
Rhonda
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Okay, thanks for explaining. I see the whole 10.4/9.10 issue is just bad luck on releasing wesnoth in that gray area when the current is too old but the new isn't out yet. I'll be patient (I hope).
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
adm

Post by adm »

So that's why, the changelog didn't explain why you made the change. Thanks for the clarification.
At first i thought that wesnoth 1.8 was released too late to make it into Ubuntu 10.04 because apt-get install wesnoth now installs wesnoth 1.6 and not 1.8.

If Ubuntu 10.04 is an option for you then you have to wait 2 more days.

So you even plan to provide packages for Ubuntu 9.10. Once again a big thanks for all your effort Rhonda.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

adm wrote:Well, that depends. Ubuntu never adds major new versions to the repositories of stable releases to avoid regressions.
Or minor new versions (unless they changed their policy recently). Pretty much nothing except security fixes.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Mastix

Post by Mastix »

Hey, any estimated time for a release for some sort of Hotfix (Cause I got that annoying WML bug during AI attacks), or do you guys have a "done when it's done" policy? :wink:
adm

Post by adm »

The Debian/Ubuntu packages already include the fix.
deadman

Post by deadman »

I just upgraded my box and found 1.8 in repos.
how nice :D

I had compile 1.8 before i week or so, but great news anyways...