Wesnoth 1.8.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nobun
Code Contributor

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.0

Post by Nobun »

Hmm... I have to say that I don't like too much the new aspect of lobby.
Images are really short, list of names (font used) are smaller than before and the list of names that you can see in the same moment is shorter.
This is why I ask... is there a way to have (or to compile) wesnoth 1.8 using the lobby interface used in version 1.6.x ?
if not.... can I leave some suggestions about a possible way to organize elements in Gui?
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Obviously it would have been best if you provided that feedback during the betas :-/

Regarding configuring the lobby it should be possible to all be modified from WML
see http://wiki.wesnoth.org/GUIToolkit
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

This is gonna be awesome!! I can't wait to download it once it gets on the Ubuntu repository.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

hmm... I reported in GNA this opinion when I tried the beta the first time (1.7.11). But the day after I see that my report was deleted. I thought it was unaccepted or marked by someone else (so useless) and I decided to not report again becouse I didn't want to insist.

However I have to say a thing... that day I had also very great problems on my connection so probably my post never arrived or registered. This is the only possible explaination, at this point.
I am really sorry for this trouble.

I will do my best to modify lobby aspect. I'll run to read that topic. Thank for your answer.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Yay! stable at last!
I have noticed, though, that the links to the changelogs are broken.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Nobun wrote:hmm... I reported in GNA this opinion when I tried the beta the first time (1.7.11). But the day after I see that my report was deleted. I thought it was unaccepted or marked by someone else (so useless) and I decided to not report again becouse I didn't want to insist.

However I have to say a thing... that day I had also very great problems on my connection so probably my post never arrived or registered. This is the only possible explaination, at this point.
...erm, reports can't be deleted. They can only be closed (i.e. rejected). If you couldn't see it at all, the only possibility is that it was never successfully reported.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
the_wanderer

Post by the_wanderer »

I have a question before i install 1.8, will my 1.6.3 savegames and userdata be valid when i install 1.8?
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Nobun wrote:hmm... I reported in GNA this opinion when I tried the beta the
first time (1.7.11). But the day after I see that my report was deleted. I
thought it was unaccepted or marked by someone else (so useless) and I decided
to not report again becouse I didn't want to insist.
As far as I know it's not possible to delete items on GNA, we can modify or mark
them as unwanted, but not delete them.
Nobun wrote:However I have to say a thing... that day I had also very great
problems on my connection so probably my post never arrived or registered. This
is the only possible explaination, at this point. I am really sorry for this
trouble.
That might be the case or a GNA bug [1] which is quite annoying.

[1] https://gna.org/support/?2332
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

the_wanderer wrote:I have a question before i install 1.8, will my 1.6.3 savegames and userdata be valid when i install 1.8?
No.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

So the addons from the development version addon server are on this stable version?
Good :3
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

This looks like it's gonna be awesome. Which makes me wonder "If 1.8 is so refined, what kind of graphical/feature overhaul and community influx will we get when we reach 2.0?"
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

There are no features "kept in reserve" for 2.0 :-)

For now, there are no plans for a 2.0 at all, only more 1.x-versions (odd development versions, even stable versions), each with more/better art, some engine features, some new campaigns, better AI, some new MP maps and/or balancing tweaks.

Maybe at some moment they will declare it 2.0, or maybe they find some killer feature which "needs a new number" (like Wesnoth running on (and really using) a quantum computer). Or maybe the game will stay at 1.x (with real big x) forever.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

pauxlo wrote:There are no features "kept in reserve" for 2.0 :-)

For now, there are no plans for a 2.0 at all, only more 1.x-versions (odd development versions, even stable versions), each with more/better art, some engine features, some new campaigns, better AI, some new MP maps and/or balancing tweaks.

Maybe at some moment they will declare it 2.0, or maybe they find some killer feature which "needs a new number" (like Wesnoth running on (and really using) a quantum computer). Or maybe the game will stay at 1.x (with real big x) forever.
You mean something as awesome as a sprite/scenario/unit/map/special effect/music editor? With the complete Invasion of the Unkown series as mainline? And having to buy a mega-server for the add-ons alone (don't even get me started on the multiplayer)? With high detail cutscene support (for those who want to)?

Wait, there'd have to be a better internet invented to handle it. That's the problem.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Pok

Post by Pok »

Is the mac version really working? Got error while trying to open dmg... im now downloading again.

EDIT: Got it work now.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

I have been (re)installing a PC for a family-member over the weekend
(P4, 2.7GHz, RAM 512MB, WinXP), and so I put the fresh BfW 1.8.0 on it.

The option-dialog worked flawlessly, but starting the tutorial hung
the machine while "create cache" was about 30% done.
I.e. after a coffeebreak (about 10 min), it was still at that point...
No obvious errormessages in the logfile.
So, to get this machine ready, I simply went back to 1.6.5,
which works ok.

I know that 512MB RAM is a bit low for XP, so maybe it is
a memory-issue, but there were no other programs running
(well, explorer and notepad), and according to the faq,
the systemrequirements have not been raised.

Has anybody experienced this sort of trouble ?
-HaJo