Split Wesnoth Tarball for Easier Downloading

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Split Wesnoth Tarball for Easier Downloading

Post by beetlenaut »

Is there any chance of splitting up the data like in 1.0? I have strict daily bandwith caps, and if the tarball gets much larger, I won't be able to download Wesnoth at all. If it were in two pieces, I could do one piece a day. I'm sure there are more of us in rural areas with poor connections who would appreciate smaller file sizes.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Thanatos

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.8

Post by Thanatos »

@beetlenaut:
I think a good download manager would be something for you. With those you could easily pause downloads and resume them next day.

/edit: Just forget about my prob with the dialogue portraits for now. I think am too tired and made a mistake, will take a closer look tomorrow.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Thanatos wrote:With those you could easily pause downloads and resume them next day.
Firefox does that, but in my experience, if you pause for a couple hours, it never starts up again. Maybe it's sourceforge that times out--that's usually where I download large files. Does anyone know about sourceforge, or use a download manager that they really like? (I'm using Linux.)

Edit: It still won't compile without --disable-strict-compilation. No problem for me, now that I know about it, but it should probably be fixed before 1.6.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Is there any chance of splitting up the data like in 1.0? I have strict daily bandwith caps, and if the tarball gets much larger, I won't be able to download Wesnoth at all. If it were in two pieces, I could do one piece a day. I'm sure there are more of us in rural areas with poor connections who would appreciate smaller file sizes.
Hm, we (on the Mac side) used to do those smaller, "program-only" (only the .app without the data if I remember correctly) downloads, which cut a lot out of the filesize, and is useful for those who just want the game without the new images/songs etc. If Mac users need this option, they can probably ask penguin about it. Hey, before he became the current packager he was on dialup, and would understand the trouble of downloading even a 170 MB tarball. :)

It's not related to your problem beetlenaut, but I'm sure some Mac users might appreciate the return of this stripped download.
Take a breath.
WildPenguin

Post by WildPenguin »

beetlenaut wrote:Firefox does that, but in my experience, if you pause for a couple hours, it never starts up again. Maybe it's sourceforge that times out--that's usually where I download large files. Does anyone know about sourceforge, or use a download manager that they really like? (I'm using Linux.)
I've also had limited success with Firefox resuming downloads; I don't think it's anything to do with sourceforge. I use wget in cases where I need to resume downloads ('wget -c'), and have never ran into any problems.

An alternative to this would be using SVN to checkout the tagged revision. Although it is a fairly significant one-off download (looks to be just under 1GB at the moment), updating for each release is a fraction of the size of the full tarball.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

About the download:
You could try DownThemAll!, it is an download manger for Firefox, that one might be better.
I don't know which OS you use(LINUX IS COOL) and whether you compile yourself, but I have an SVN Source checkout too which I only have to update(only modified/new files) every new version, and it works quite well. :wink:
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Mapar007

Post by Mapar007 »

He said "I'm using Linux" in one of his previous posts. xD
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

:oops: I'll learn reading when I get to primary school...
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
MrAnderson

Re: Split Wesnoth Tarball for Easier Downloading

Post by MrAnderson »

If you are a bit used to command line, you can also use e.g. wget. You can start downloading and then stop it with Crtl+C (SIGINT). The file will be kept in the directory. For the second day you can use the -c option to continue the interrupted download. (I know that this is no perfect solution :))