Wesnoth 1.3.8

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.3.8

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.3.8 is out!

Finally 1.3.8 is out. But did anything change compared to 1.3.7? To be honest: no! Okay, there were some little changes like basically rewriting the campaign "The South Guard" (which fixed the 'duplicate units in recall list'-problem). But you know that rewrites are likely to cause problems and sometimes I manage to release before people manage to complete *everything* so you probably want to concentrate on the elves branch, not the bandits, looks like that one is really buggy...

"The South Guard" was not the only campaign getting some love from a developer. Now Rhuvaen is taking care of "Under the burning Suns" and he already managed to make all scenarios up to the 9th basically playable. Now you probably want to ask "Why did Ivanovic say 'basically' in that sentence?" and this is a very valid question. In the 2nd scenario you might face a really different challenge when the ghosts do not disappear at daytime. Those who are not masochistic can get a fixed scenario file which should make it possible to win that scenario with less problems.

In my last announcement I had to write some strange things about traits and some units not getting all HP back when leveling up. Looks like this bug is fixed now and like spawned units get random traits assigned when not stated otherwise. This is a great thing for singleplayer campaigns but might create some real problems in multiplayer content due to the (known) problems with the implementation of how random works. So all designers of multiplayer content out there should either define the traits the spawned units get by hand or use this key within the [unit] tag: random_traits=no. There is no problem for units that are recruited normally, it is just a problem with spawned units. The mainline content was adjusted to make sure that no problems like this will occur in mainline. But I am rather sure that some multiplayer content will show this problem. The symptom of this bug is the game going out of sync.

Finally something more positive boucman asked me to tell you:
The old [animation] in [attack] that was used to describe attack animations has been deprecated. You can now use an [attack_anim] block within the [unit] block. This means that attack animations work in a similar fashion to all other animations and should be easier to edit/add via WML. A new apply_to=new_animation was added to WML to easily add animations to units. This should provide some nice possibilities for content creators.

What else was changed? Some updated graphics, translations and probably a lot more that I am too lazy to mention now. For a more complete list (not 100% complete, some devs tend to forget adding entries) have a look at the changelog. A changelog with the changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players_changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... 2?download (90.0MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.3.7 to 1.3.8, 10.7MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is ready and available at the download page.

The Mac OSX binary is ready and available at the download page. If you have problems with not being able to mount the full version, please redownload it. The correct filesize should be 99.6MB.

The OpenSolaris binary is is ready and available at the download page.

The OpenSUSE package is already available via the "normal system", don't ask me what this means, maybe it is explained at the page for Linux binaries. No idea which other binaries are ready, but all the known packagers have been contacted. Infos about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

Soon we will shutdown the 1.3.7 mp server because it is incompatible with 1.3.8 clients (and we want to focus on getting 1.3.8 tested ;) ). The server for 1.3.8 is already up and waiting for you to play on it. So consider doing an update as soon as possible. We want to wait with this until the MacOSX and the Windows binary are ready but once they are out we will do so.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them after reading the instructions about how to post them. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

EDIT: The OSX binary seems to be broken. The dmg of the full version does not work as expected, it does not even mount. The "lite" version is working as expected.
EDIT 2: The OSX binary was reuploaded and should now be working as expected.
EDIT 3: Added the Windows binary. Soon the 1.3.7 multiplayer server will be shut down.
Last edited by ivanovic on October 12th, 2007, 6:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

Note for WML creators of new unit types:
In 1.3.8, races are more visible in the in-game help. Mainly for organizing the unit list. You may want to update your [race] tag. It uses now an id key for internal WML operations, and a name key for user-visible info in help, and also allow to use translation. Previous WML is still supported by using the name to automatically create the missing id.

Note that, at least in English, UMC using uncapitalized race names (which was the previous usage) are sorted at the end of capitalized names, like the ones used for mainline races. You can see this as a incentive to update your WML ;)

There is also a new description key, currently not used by mainline races, but supported. So, you can use it to describe new original content. But the page showing it is a bit hidden for the moment (you need to click on the race hyperlink in the unit description, your race description will be placed on the top of this page)

PS: Please note that these race features in help are still work in progress.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The release note sounds a bit pessimistic, heh...
:lol:

I think WML authors will be happy with some of the changes in 1.3.8. For example, the critical bug with length of empty arrays in WML was fixed, and unit & location filters gained more power with the ability to check adjacencies.
:eng:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
appleide

Post by appleide »

:!: The Mac OS X disk image couldn't be opened by DiskImageMounter (default dmg mounter in mac os x), reason being "not recognised". :?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Wow, did I just got that right? Dark adepts get another magical range attack, i.e. arcane besides cold, whereas nothing else changed (costs, hp, etc.)?

If yes, than those guys are really evil now - watch your back!
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
biren

Post by biren »

I got the error too with the disk image being not recognized. What should I do about it?
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

dark adepts arcane is so low that they should not do more damage against any race besides undead... i assume it was tested, and will be tested by those playing 1.3.8., and i assume, that if they are too strong vs undead, then their arcane damage attack is reduced, because a price change will affect balance between other races...
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

UngeheuerLich wrote:dark adepts arcane is so low that they should not do more damage against any race besides undead... i assume it was tested, and will be tested by those playing 1.3.8., and i assume, that if they are too strong vs undead, then their arcane damage attack is reduced, because a price change will affect balance between other races...

Eh, how can a faction outbalance itself? Just thought that this where bad news for the elvish faction, especially woses.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

not vs faction undead, vs race undead with serious arcane vulnerabilities.

and elves have only -10% so 7-2 ist always worse than 10-2, even woses don´t get (much) more damage
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

The mac full binary image was corrupted during the upload. Sorry for that.
Here is a fixed version (99.6Mb).

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... _1.3.8.dmg
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Thanks iwa! Great to have such a rapid response, some of the big software houses could learn....
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That's a REALLY pesimistic announcement. I have already discovered the advantages of the new engine changes while developing my campaign for 1.3.7+SVN, so I am witness of the actual greatness of your (devs) work.

I am glad that now more people (a 10 more people) will be able to play my campaign though. OK, I'm self-promoting.

EDIT: did you fix the random animation bug that makes ranged attack missiles not appear sometimes? It's been pestering me since the 14th September snapshot.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

first time Ihear of that particular bug...

I have fixed things that could have caused that, yes, not sure if the particular one you think of was fixed...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jack the Ripper

Post by Jack the Ripper »

Four days since the announcement, when can we expect the Windows binary?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Jack the Ripper wrote:Four days since the announcement, when can we expect the Windows binary?
When the guy who does them gets enough free time to create it obviously. As this depends on the real life of someone, there's little others can do to influence it - except stepping up as an alternative provide for one of course.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!