[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 7a - The Crossing

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flammstrudel

Re: Scenario Review - EI: The Crossing

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Challenging - Royal Guard)
164 gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No real challenges. Owaec is able to get to the river shore by turn 11, by that time the ogres are history, tried it three times. The ogre boss was usually slain around turn 8 or 9. Even quick units won't get there earlier than turn 7 or 8. I don't know if that's intentional or not and if there are any repercussions. While your heroes are wading through the water you can kill time by whacking skeletons. Camp on their fort and wait for their reinforcements to spawn just outside – it's like clubbing undead baby seals.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Pretty boring. 3/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More undead, and please not right next to you (if you are lucky you can kill the first leader before he recruits anything). Downsize the river, let me intervene in the orc-ogre dispute. Right now it's not possible.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I wondered if it was possible to save the ogres, so I replayed the scenario.
Attachments
EI-The_Crossing_replay.gz
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Assassinated undead leader with arcane royal guard and paladin on turn 2, but started moving with Owaec and Dacyn over the river at once. Still no chance to save ogres. Particularly galling was that I set up the orc leader for a kill (3 hp left) and Owaec would have appreciated the experience, but before finishing his turn the scenario was over.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Hmm what I gather from this is that:

1. It should be harder to kill the undead leader. Does making the player unable to hit him for the first few turns sound like a good solution?
2. The Ogres should be easier to save. I'm going to try out some things with their AI to maybe make them survive a bit longer.
3. There should be a way to kill the orc leader without ending the scenario. I'll add a choice when you reach the other shore with Gweddry and Owaec, and a menu item to end the scenario if you choose to go after the orc leader upon reaching the other shore.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
taptap

Post by taptap »

bumbadadabum wrote:Hmm what I gather from this is that:

1. It should be harder to kill the undead leader. Does making the player unable to hit him for the first few turns sound like a good solution?
2. The Ogres should be easier to save. I'm going to try out some things with their AI to maybe make them survive a bit longer.
3. There should be a way to kill the orc leader without ending the scenario. I'll add a choice when you reach the other shore with Gweddry and Owaec, and a menu item to end the scenario if you choose to go after the orc leader upon reaching the other shore.
He gets reinforced - with a new leader - anyway. Nothing wrong with being able to kill the avantgarde - hard to change as long as the keep is so close (player is well able to field several very fast arcane damage dealers, say paladin or quick royal guard, at this point). I would appreciate point 2. Even if the ogres would prioritize attacking orc archers - not wasting time (of day) and damage potential with killing blows to melee units, they would do better already. You could instead of 3 just add a waypoint that both units have to reach, so as to make the objective very clear and controllable.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
normal, 1.12.2, enough money to recruit whatever
rand()%10+1
very clear, but i won when only Owac stepped on the other bank of the river.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
it's OK, but it seemed like orc wanted to kill us first, but instead went for ogres for some reason...
my own slow movement against undead's very fast.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
less water, more helping ogres.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
my horsemen rode through the water and were killing orcs while that super important mage was 2/3 through the river when a swarm of bats got him.

almost no control over what will be happening, most time i am simply walking in water, mage's life somewhat depends on if player know that at certain moment undead reinforcement will arrive.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5 (I did not save the ogre leader and think it is probably impossible in a normal playthrough).
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Saving the ogre leader doesn't seem possible unless the orcs get very unlucky which is not something the player can control. It takes 11 turns to cross the river and he's almost certainly dead on turn 9-10, even with putting bait in the water.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 6
(7) Changes? Make it so the ogre leader at least has a chance to survive.
(8) Restarts? I tried this scenario a couple times trying to save the ogre leader but gave up as it seemed impossible. I saw Maiklas' replay where the leader survives until turn 12 (!) but that was in large part due to an ogre leveling which is extremely unlikely to happen.
Attachments
EI-The_Crossing_replay.gz
(43.57 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Med

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. Except it said do not kill ogre king, if he stays alive he will join you. The ogre king got killed by orcs, no way I could stop it.

Getting bored moving only hex at a time across the river and getting bored watching the battle above. Killing the new batch of undead that cropped up.

3. Killing the undead first and the couple orcs and wolves on the other side.

How about a river barge?
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
LordWolfDan

Re: Scenario Review - EI 7a - The Crossing

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Just cross the river

- I like it, Grug's way of talking is amusing, similar to Yoda from Star Wars.

- Trying not to be trampled by undead while crossing the river. Same with orcs.

- If possible, making it that if Grug is defeated, you're defeated in general, thus making him an essential unit to be your ally in the future scenarios. Therefore, this'd make the scenario challenging.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review - EI 7a - The Crossing

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.6, Hard

Put a river between me and the undead.

Clear.

Conceding that I can't save that Ogre.

Make the Ogre saveable (on hard) and make the Orcs focus more on me.
And make Dacyn crossing the River a win condition.
Attachments
EI-The Crossing replay.gz
(35.35 KiB) Downloaded 598 times