Scenario Review: NR 11 - Eastern Flank

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 11 - Eastern Flank

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
saxo

Re: Scenario Review: NR 11 - Eastern Flank

Post by saxo »

Hi,
(1) hard
(2) 6
(3) very clear
(4) :)
(5) killing the maximal number of units at each turn
(6) 3
With 248 pieces of gold, I could recrut enough units to resist to the orcs/troll but I could not cross
the river before the 28th turn. I'm not able to achieved the scenario in the imparted turns.
This is very frustrating. :evil:
(7) More turns !!!
(8) I try to kill more enemy at each turn without result
S. I.
Diendiadre

Post by Diendiadre »

Once again the one in the middle, I still don´t recall which one that was...

9! and almost 10. I´m sure anyone who have this scenario figured out will place an eight instead, but figuring it out is really difficult. Ofcourse the mountains is the territory for the dwarves, while the water is better used by the drakes, but that isn´t the solution of the map. The real solution is... SPOILER ALERT: Don´t read this unless you want to know how to win this scenario. You need plenty of money and then you have to make the enemy split his troops hunting down drakes all over those islands. Once an opening has been made, place your commander very close to the fort. Then open up the fort. You need to place the commander on one of the recruitment tiles and then recruit as many troops as possible inside the enemy fort. This will prevent your enemy from further recruitment and will also provide you with the oppurtunity to kill all the commanders of the fort. :eng:

They are very clear but really difficult. However this is an expert campaign, perhaps one shouldn't really change anything.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This scenario didn´t have a lot of dialogue and I can´t really come up with any interesting dialogue for it. The map is a riddle and somehow that could have been stated a bit clearer. Some clue on what to do could have been interesting to have, though exactly what I don´t know.

Getting the dwarves to kill enough enemies while somehow avoiding the bloody field terrain in the south. A defense of 40% is completly worthless so I shifted my entire front to avoid placeing any people on the field. This wasn´t an ideal solution though as some enemies used the field to outflank some of my units. Later in the game I used suicide drakes to protect the fields shores which made it considerable more difficult for the enemy to use the field. After a while the enemy also lost a lot of ground in the mountains due to the spreading of his troops. Why so many troops went for a swim I´m not entirely sure off, but my drakes did considerable damage to the enemy in the water. Getting enough money for this scenario was also a pain, however replaying the troll scenario made it possible to get around 300 gold coins for my human army and a 400 for my drake army. That is really all the money you need. It´s a bit tricky earning money on this scenario, but there are plenty of villages so gaining money isn´t impossible. Neither is cutting the map in half with level 3, level 4 and level 2 creatures.

6, It´s a lot of fun when you know how to win the scenario, but before you know that, it´s really painfull. In fact I still remember being really mad over this scenario. Especially since I really loved this campaign despite the bloody lich in the first part of the story.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Once again a clue or two won´t really hurt considering how many things you have to figure out to even stand a chance at winning on this scenario. It´s also a very risky scenario to make, since it somewhat dependent on how good the ai of the computer is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Several, or should I say hundreds of events. Everything from constantly getting killed, to realising that there was too little time left to win. Another reason for reloading and restarting the scenario was just bad luck. Once I figured everything out the scenario was considerably easier and I only had to reload about eight or nine times. Mostly due to using the wrong commander the first time. The second time I used both commanders and while there´s no reason not to do this, there are several reasons why you probably should concentrate on only one. Also the amount of assassins on this map is frustrating. All it takes is one and I mean one thrown dagger of poision to completly kill off your plans. Less assassins would be welcome although you can always kill them off with your liches.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

I still don´t know any such language.
Death

Post by Death »

Nightmare

crystal

The 'by the way, this is the linchpin of the whole eastern flank' was kind of random. It would be better if instead of saying "the whole flank will collapse," they'd say "maybe the whole flank would collapse" or something. you know what I'm saying. adds a little drama.

Oh man. The first time I played it, every time I got close to the main fort, another commander would wake up, find an open castle, and make another huge wave of reinforcements. This is probably the first scenario I can remember where the enemy really outnumbers the crap out of you, and you really have to burn through a bigger force.

Of course, the biggest challenge is managing the front. I more or less decided to use a solid front from the top of the map to the river. Adapting to the mountains and the fields along with transferring units to the Southern skirmishes made up the meat of this challenge.

11. This is by FAR the most fun Wesnoth level I have played in any of the campaigns. I have played/beaten it twice now, and each time I used a radically different, constantly adaptive strategy. The flow of the fight in my first try made Wesnoth worth the download, that's how fun it was. The only downside is that as soon as you've beaten it a few times, it becomes less of a challenge to wipe out lvl 2 waves, but I will still remember this level as the most fun I've seen playing a campaign map.

Well, random encounters are always fun. I probably woulda flipped my [censored] if, during the big fight, a patrol of nagas or something random came in to reinforce the orcs from the south river. Or, more dialogue by the enemy commanders would be very welcome.

Peeing my pants in giddy excitement.
hoopslam

Post by hoopslam »

Hard (The second easiest setting for the campaign)

Pretty clear, kill the baddies.

The storyline for the entire campaign is awesome and this scenario's no exception

Little gold and too many units. This scenario wasn't so much of a challenge to me as it was a hassle. My strategy was to just plow through straight to the enemy keep with my strongest units backed with an endless stream of footpads as cannon fodder. Once you're on an enemy keep with either Talin or the Drake, it's over. I beat the level by turn 20 but with so many units to kill, it was a very long 20 turns. This took took me 3 hours to complete from turn 1-20, not to mention the hours I spent restarting and abusing the auto save...

5. I don't really have the patience to kill so many units. With my 5 loyal Dwarvish Lords, Grand Marshal Talin with Rod, Great Mage, and the two immortal white mages, I had an unbeatable nucleus that inched it's way forward but it was horribly annoying and repetitive. If it wasn't for the OMFG, look at that HUUUGE army factor, this would've gotten a 1 in my books.

Less units please!!! It's not fun when you're outnumbered 100-10. Rather than having the AI spawn the ridiculous amount of units, how about having them spawn higher quality (level 3) units in fewer numbers? At least then, you can use strategy instead of being completely surrounded. In addition, having so many units out on the field creates an extremely boring waiting game. It's no fun when you have to wait 1-2 minutes for the AI to finish his turn (this was with skip AI moves on)

I completely abused the reload, otherwise I probably would have lost all my important units.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
easy. 1.7.0

8-9

crystal

very interesting.

the gryphons and drakes that I sent south all died because of assassins.

maybe let the enemy recruit less units, but higher lever?

quite a few. the sheer number of enemies discouraged me psychologically.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

nightmare
11 - from turn 33 too many saves to end the scenario in time (I did it in turn 46) It was my second attempt, with totally different strategic.
Clear
More than fifty deaths of Morvin/Thera... too boring ...
Many. The most one was to kill more units than the enemies recruit.
2 - boring - too many units
as I said before - less better units
When a line is broken. Each unit lost is very problematic.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It seems pretty clear.[/quote]
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

10 initially, goes down to 8 (even less after you manage to kill a few of the enemy leaders)

Clear

It was fine, but it would be nice if the orcs (or anyone) would say something when a leader is killed

In order:
1) Holding off the initial wave of enemies without any loses
2) Poison
3) Bad luck (with so many units on the map getting unlucky is a given)
4) Poison
5) The enemy’s huge income that allowed them to recruite a few new units each turn
6) Poison
7) Holding off the enemies that had gone south to capture villages – I had very few units to the south, so holding them off without losses was quite a challenge
Did I mention poison?

10 – it was a real bloodbath – but a fun bloodbath! *evil grin*

Less Assassins, please – with just 3 healers having so many assassin gets really annoying

Just bad luck and my own carelessness.

I recalled all the Dwarf Lords I had plus a couple of Steelclads, a few Fugitives, and a few Highwaymen. I also sent the Spectre and the Griffon south to steal villages and to distract the enemy. After that I just took the positions I wanted and slaughtered the enemy forces – against this many level 3s they never stood a chance. I let the drakes handle things on their own, with little help from my main force, which resulted in several dead level 1 drakes, however at the same time I managed to level a few drakes up to level 2, and since both Tallin and Krash started with almost 600 gold I could afford the losses.

By the time I slaughtered most of the enemy forces and reached the fortress I had negative gold so I couldn’t recruit any units in the enemy keep. Fortunately I didn’t need to, thanks to the fact that Dwarven Lords have a ton of HP, so they don’t need as much healing as other units do.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

(1) Hard
(2) 10
(3) Crystal
(4) Could we cut the Mage of Light death chants?
(5) I played on my Ipod, and it glitched, lagged, and pooped out twice every turn. I finally had to go play the whole campaign on my computer, just to be able to finish the level. Even then, it took 3 minutes a turn. Lag was the worst thing.
(6) 1. A failure of a scenario. The best scenarios use a quarter of the amount of units
(7) Less units of higher level
(8) Lag
rmj

Post by rmj »

Normal 1.9.3

On turn 41 the purple units began to attack brown units. The purple king had been killed.
rmj
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Nightmare

Nightmare - 10 points is not enough!

Clear

Very clear and interesting

Too many enemies and their amazing battling abilities inside the castles

No changes

At the beginning I recalled all my advanced units but then I realized that I had to recall them later - inside the enemy castles, it allowed me to win the scenario

---
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1) Level, Version? Normal, 1.9.4
2) Difficulty? 8.
3) Clear? Clear as always.
4) Dialogue? Very well written
5) Challenges? Wrong tactics.
6) Fun? 8.
7) Changes? -
8) Restarts? Twice. Third try, all enemies were trying to get the villages some other units were recruited on, and these units weren't able to get out because so many units were around them. I went to he castle and finished in turn 17.
9) WML? Nice.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Nightmare; 1.9.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Tedium. Need to realize that Tallin must recruit from enemy stronghold.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7.
(7) Changes? It would be more fun with less units and no "cheat" of recruiting to get past enemy ZOCs.
(8) Restarts? No restarts and no save-reloads.
(9) WML? Didn't check.
(10) Replay? Corrupt. However, you can find screenshots in the thread "NR: Eastern Flank advice?".
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) Level, Version? challenging, 1.8.5
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8
(3) Objectives? clear.
(4) Dialog? Don't remember.
(5) Challenges? Being outnumbered. At first attempt, I held a line in the mountains and the northern shore of the river. After some time, each enemy leader could recruit 2-3 units per turn, while I could only kill 6-8.
Second attempt, I rushed the drakes plus one mage south to hold the eastern shore, eventually advancing to the islands and in the end over the river, while dwarves held the line in the mountains. In the end, Tallin lost some veterans, but also leveled a few new dwarves; Krash got ten L3s and seven L2s. I finished after approx. six hours (enemys moves have been shown) in turn 43.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 6 ; nice, forces you to think of a strategy, but way too long.
(7) Changes? a bit fewer enemy units...
(8) Restarts? A few.
(9) WML? N/A
Nico1920

Post by Nico1920 »

I really can't win this (v1.10, medium difficulty, Tallin 357g, Krash 365g, lots of Dwarvish Lord to recall and all the loyal starting units).

I would be very grateful if someone can post a replay.