Scenario Review: NR 10 - Stolen Gold

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 10 - Stolen Gold

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
sabalzen

Re: Scenario Review: NR 10 - Stolen Gold

Post by sabalzen »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.6
10. I was so far away from winning this that I won't bother to try a second time.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and simple.
Keeping anyone alive.
2. I HATE reloading.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Reduce the number of enemies by about half.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Several each turn. Mostly involving large clubs.
EZE

Post by EZE »

Easy 1.4.7

3. I pulled mostly lvl 3s

very

The dragon friend was a cool twist.

getting kills for dragons.

additional random dialogue. This campaign does it well.

no
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

Starts as a 10, but if you’re quick enough it goes down to 7 (when there are 3 enemy leaders left) and then to 5 or less (when there are two trolls left)

HOWEVER, if I didn’t have all of the heroes alive (especially Krash and the two elves) things would’ve been A LOT more challenging.

Half-clear. “Defeat the enemy leaders” – crystal clear. “Resist as long as you can” – what does that mean? Until end of turns? It becomes clear later, but at the start it’s rather confusing.

I loved it.

First major challenge: Killing the blue leader on turn 2, before he returns to his keep.
Second major challenge: Hold off the black and purple trolls with a very limited number of troops while the main force engages and crashes the green trolls.

And a minor challenge: Level up a drake. I succeeded, mostly thanks to good luck.

Speaking of luck, getting unlucky with my attack against opponents that were 1 hit away from death made me load a few times, but in this particular mission it wasn’t a big deal.

Initially 6, later turns to 10

Turn 1: *sigh* Oh, boy! Another “kill them all”!
*7 turns later*
Oh, hi, Krash! Welcome back!
*a minute later*
Wait, I get to CONTROL Krash and co? YEAH! This is going to be fun!

And it was. :D

If you have all of the heroes (even if most of them are still level 2) it’s relatively easy (on this difficulty). But if you lost some of the loyal units, or if you’re on a higher difficulty level, things will probably be complicated. It might be a good idea to increase the starting gold to help people who were… less fortunate… in previous scenarios.

No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It is well-documented, though the comments can be a bit misleading: “Opposing AIs, pretty developed [ai] tag causes them to act stupid, aggressive, ignore villages, and target Tallin” The ai definitely did not ignore villages. In fact capturing villages slowed down the trolls a little bit and gave me some much needed time.

As far targeting Tallin: The Black leader (full health) did not attack Grand Marshal Tallin. Instead he settled for a level 1 drake. So did the Troll Whelp he had recruited. I guess killing the level 1 drake (who wasn’t even close to leveling) was more attractive than Tallin.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
LevrieR

Post by LevrieR »

nightmare (1.8.4)

7 or 8 : I did it in one try (with some saves & loads, but not that much I could imagine), chosing to defend behind the river, at the east-north. I give 7 or 8 because it can be very hard if you don't have that many "heroes" left (I had everyone...). I don't know if Dracans comes if you have already lost Karsh, but they don't, it seems to me a bit harder to defeat all trolls (what I did).

Clear enough.

It's ok.

Going to the river spot at the north-east. Took so much time to go directly through moutains for elves or priests. So it recquires to defend your troops during this migration.

Like 9 or 10. I was skeptical at the beginning, seeing like a full screen of trolls, I just said to myself "ok, let's wait 36 turns of attacks, this will be boring". But after dracans arrived and much more after having understood that I'll control them, I was much more enthousiastic.

When elves came, they're fortress was full of troll and they spawned very scattered. Finally it took me like 6 turns to clean they fortress and so they can begin to be usefull... But not so much because already 2 troll leaders died and 1 was too far away (bottom-left). So, I don't know if it's possible to create dynamically their fortress but if it is, would be great :>

Several reloads to avoid loosing heroes, but not so much (5 ?)
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Nightmare; 1.9.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Very good.
(5) Challenges? Keeping all of my zillion loyals alive.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 9
(7) Changes? Reduce number of loyals given in earlier scenarios and reduce enemy gold to compensate.
(8) Restarts? Yes, many restarts from start due to death of loyals/criticals, like when Rocklobbers queue up to suicide into an allied Lich. No save reloads, though.
(9) WML? Very good.
(10) Replay? Attached, along with a screenshot. I sent my leader and others to knock out the northwest leader, while my two invincible Mages of Light on a "suicide" mission due south and my loyal Spectre took up position at the northern city on the island in the east. Three healthy Dwarf Lords and one Lich held the western mountains, waiting for Krash to return with the drakes. The remaining units moved north and were joined in the hills by the northwest strike force, but they got surrounded on three sides and things look grim. My Great Mage got down to one hit point and many others were on their last legs too. I sent the Drakes rushing in like calvary to save the embattled troops just in the nick of time. After that, the northeast leader was easily taken out and the last leader fell 11 turns early. This was all very fun, but don't follow in my footsteps: either choose a better place to make a stand or take steps to avoid getting surrounded.
Attachments
wesnoth, northern rebirth, stolen gold.jpg
NR-Stolen_Gold_replay.gz
(105.29 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1) Level, Version? Normal, 1.9.4
2) Difficulty? 5.
3) Clear? Yes.
4) Dialogue? Long, but nice.
5) Challenges? I didn't care about tactics, just ran with an army of dwarves to troll's keep and killed the leaders. Worked welll, at least on this difficulty.
6) Fun? 7.
7) Changes? -
8) Restarts? Tried the walkthrough tactics, which didn't work for me. Restarted from the beginning, changing tactics.
9) WML? Good.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) Level, Version? challenging, 1.8.5
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8 (in the beginning)
(3) Objectives? “Resist as long as you can” is not that clear.
(4) Dialog? Good again.
(5) Challenges? Avoiding loss of loyal units. I ran straight for green (NE), slowed blue (NW) down with immortal mages, killed green and then stayed on his keep and the surrounding mountains. When the drakes arrived, I used them to kill the remaining lonesome troll leaders.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7. Fighting against stronger trolls is not much fun, controlling Krash and his drakes is lots of fun.
(7) Changes? No real idea. Maybe making it easier by letting Krash arrive one turn earlier?
(8) Restarts? No.
(9) WML? N/A
taptap

Post by taptap »

Well, I play Nightmare, 1.10.3 and I wonder whether anybody ever noticed: I was offered early victory when the elves arrived (the troll wave was broken at that time but still the three leaders were alive). I rejected the offer (I want to level drakes.) and played to the end and the early finish bonus was calculated by all villages + 2 per turn for each of my leaders, that is even controlling the whole map you are massively punished for not taking the early finish which hurts given the next scenario.

Greedy as I am, I recruited half a dozen L1 dwarfs and recalled only 5 non-loyal dwarf lords. I gave the Rod to Zlex (100 hp :)), which surely pays out with the leader kill possibilty in this scenario. I defended the center with only a single dwarf, the sorceress, the ancient lich and the spectre roaming outside. Keeping loyal drakes alive was hard - almost all other drakes died during the night to achieve that.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
k1ldare

Post by k1ldare »

1.10.2 nightmare
n/a
1-"Resist as long as you can" in the victory conditions, implying a survival scenario, but this actually loses.
objectives misleading
n/a
objectives misleading
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
n/a
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

Difficulty: "normal" in the save files
How difficult: 4
Scenario objectives: clear
Challenges: believing that it makes sense to try winning what appears to be an obviously impossible fight
Fun: 9
Changes: When the elves arrive, if pretty much only troll leaders are alive at that point, make them more humble maybe.
Restarting or reloading: restarted just once due to wrong strategy. No reloads.

I cannot believe I just won this scenario. Without the drakes, too, and no Rod of Justice either (didn't know about any of these until after beating the scenario). Seriously, did I just take out over 100 trolls with 200 starting gold?
First try: sent white mages somewhere north to delay northern trolls as much as possible, sent everyone else to kill southwest leader, killed him and his 25 recruits, got devastated by the remaining 75 trolls immediately after.
Second try: in what seemed to be a futile attempt to do the impossible, sent the white mages after northwestern leader (they took him out, eventually), and sent everyone else to the mountains where drakes would appear if I didn't lose the loyal drake in "old friend", where they made a stand against the combined force of the other 3 leaders. I still can't understand how the hell did I win this while only losing 2 lvl3 bandits (actually I only lost one because I got lucky, but should have lost two).
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Challenging, 1.0.4
Finished on turn 17/36 with about 500 gold carry over.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8. It was grueling.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? The part about "Resist for as long as long you can" wasn't something I wanted to try. I defeated all enemy leaders like usual. Not sure if it would be possible to make it to turn 36 by just resisting. I wonder...if you don't defeat the trolls, will you get back the gold that they stole from you?

Please dear God make the dialog between those two mages stop already.

Keeping everyone alive in wave after wave of trolls was difficult.
I lost a couple of loyal drakes and loyal dwarves. Darn trolls.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5.
Not sure why the elves showed up right after I killed the last king. Maybe to help if someone is getting swamped? But it seemed silly for them to offer assistance after the scenario was completed.

Yes when Tallin got killed.

My Strategy:
Turn 1: Sent fastest units (spectre, shyde, ro'arthian) NW to get Blue king when he leaves his castle. Send loyals NW.
Turn 6: Defeated all Blue NW trolls by Loyals and Tallin. Green trolls arrive in NW.
Turn 7: Drakes arrive in the west and make a camp
Turn 9: Defeated all Purple trolls except their king
Turn 12: Immortal MoL's Defeated all SW trolls except their king
Turn 17: Killed all Trolls, kings last
Turn 17: Elves arrived in the east to offer help. Um, thanks?

I put 7 dwarf Lords and 2 Fugatives on the left side of the river, it worked great to grind down Purple's army when they tried to cross.
Sent the 2 Mages of Light SW, they defeated most of the SW trolls.
Right after defeating all NW Blue trolls on turn 6, the green trolls got there. We retreated to the mountains south of Blue's castle. Not a good choice since trolls move faster than we do there. We should have went into the castle. Pretty sure I would have lost without the Drakes arriving
Last edited by shadow12 on March 10th, 2017, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Nightmare.

2. 10.

3. Very.

4. Fine.

5. So. Many. Trolls.

6. 5.

7. Honestly it was just a little too much; I wiped out the northwest leader before he could use all his gold when he went for the village (Had one restart on round two when I noticed how much he overextended that first turn) and then went all in taking out the southwest leader. Northwest was easy, but the southwest was brutal; I lost a LOT of leveled dwarves even though I fought in the mountains with the trolls mostly on the flatlands. After that it turned into largely a defense mission for a few rounds; once the drake came back with his buddies I did a burner/glider swarm to block the trolls in from behind, then put the rest of the drakes money towards rushing the largely undefended leaders and wiping them out. This one took down many of my leveled troops, which definitely hurt going forwards. The bright side is I leveled quite a few spearman and swordsman, and went into the next scenario with a half dozen royal guardsmen and an equal number of swordsmen.

8. One restart to take out blue leader immediately; after that I ended up just sucking up the losses. Could probably have restarted again with the knowledge the drake would come and suffered a few less losses, but didn't want to win easier thanks to meta-knowledge.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal.

3, it starts out scary looking, but with a army of dwarf lords you quickly cut the trolls to shreds. The invincible mages hold the south long enough.

Clear.

Good.

The first time I played I tried to hold the center, which worked, but I got flanked a couple of times losing some loyal units.

Before my second go (replay attached) I read the wiki and charged the NW troll, quickly slaughtering him, then going NE, SW, and finally SE without losing a unit.

7, it's fun playing with all the different units, but I'm feeling a bit over powered.

Give the southern trolls some L3s.

Losing some loyals in the first attempt.
Attachments
NR-Stolen_Gold_replay.gz
(96.8 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.1, Hard

4, if you have Krash, 7, when Krash is already dead.

Clear.

Good.

Properly rotating my units so I can actually hold the line.

7 with Krash, because I like drakes, 5 without crash, because it's just a lot of slaughter.

-

Wasting units needlessly.
Attachments
NR-Stolen Gold replay.gz
(79.02 KiB) Downloaded 597 times