Scenario Review: NR 8 - Elvish Princess

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 8 - Elvish Princess

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
shadowblack

Re: Scenario Review: NR 8 - Elvish Princess

Post by shadowblack »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

Starts as 5 due to the annoying blue orcs, goes down to 3 once you have dealth with most of blue’s forces and the first wave of defenders

Not clear at all. Usually when time runs out you lose – ESPECIALLY if it is a mission where I have to protect or rescue someone. But not this time. If time runs out – I win? How does that make any sense? So I tried to recue the princess as quickly as possible

It all made sense only after I looked at the scenario code. Apparently if time runs out the princess is killed and I skip the Introductions scenario.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nice

Killing the blue orcs quickly enough without losing any units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1) Clarify the objectives.
2) The early finish bonus for rescuing the princess seems pointless to me – I had -100 gold when I finished and so I’ll be starting the next one with -80 or the min, whichever is higher. Maybe it is possible to finish the scenario with positive gold, but I fail to see how. So why have an early finish bonus at all?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Seems well-documented.

P.S.: First to comment on this scenario? :o
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
LevrieR

Post by LevrieR »

Nightmare (1.8.4)

6 : Did it in one try (with some loads & saves)... Might be harder if you don't choose the right strategy I think. But considering that blue has great income and a 500gold-starting, might be hard to decide attacking him and then rescue the princess in 15 turns.

Pretty clear.

-

Avoiding blue to be on the princess place the turn I can rescue her (after having eleminated some of her guardians). In some way, I think we can say it is a stupid issue. Isn't it ?

Tactic is pretty interesting, thank to the castle and blue coming through and some others things...

Making blue a bit less coward. As I went through the river on the upper-left side of the map, blue was following me but as soon as I put some lvl3 units on the river side, it was like 10 units staying in the water or going back to get through the castle.
Of course I do understand why he did it but I'm pretty sure that if he had attacked my units, loosing a great part of his units, it would have been more difficult for me.

Blue staying on princess on the 15th turn for sure.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Nightmare; 1.9.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 7
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Pretty clear. I wasn't sure what would happen after rescuing the princess - as it turned out, the game just ended, and I missed a round of XP grubbing.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Taking out the eastern leader, preserving all loyals.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8
(7) Changes? Fine as is.
(8) Restarts? One loss due to death of Lich, restarted from start. No save-reloads.
(9) WML? Fine.
(10) Replay? Attached. I followed the advice in the walkthrough and sent the spectre, drake, and another fast unit (a royal guard) to take out the leader in the east. This proved laughably insufficient, though at least I prevented him from getting off more than one round of recruits. Pretty soon, most of my army was involved in subduing that leader. The attack on the castle was spearheaded by the Mages of Light. I made one Mage of Light do a suicide attack so that he could attack again on the same round after being resurrected. One of the Mages of Light moved to the central area, survived, and then was able to move to rescue the princess.
Attachments
NR-Elvish_Princess_replay.gz
(49.14 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1) Level, Version? Normal, 1.9.4
2) Difficulty? 6.
3) Clear? Yes.
4) Dialogue? Fine.
5) Challenges? No.
6) Fun? 5. Just slicing any orc moving with ten of my Dwarf Lords.
7) Changes? Can't think of needed ones right now.
8) Restarts? No.
9) WML? Good.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) Level, Version? challenging, 1.8.5
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 5
(3) Objectives? Quite clear.
(4) Dialog? Nice.
(5) Challenges? Avoiding losses; I underestimated blue in my first attempt.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? No.
(8) Restarts? Loss of key figure.
(9) WML? N/A
taptap

Post by taptap »

Royal Guard (Nightmare), 1.10.3 - Happily Zlex with the Rod is very fast and strong and together with Abhai he can pin (or outright kill) the village grabbing blue leader on turn 2 - when Tallin is still needed in the keep for recruiting, together with 1-2 other units they can mob up the first round of blue recruits. Then the rest is comparatively easy. Otherwise this could be considerably more difficult with low gold, short turn limit and blue units harrassing you. The biggest problem if you don't assassinate blue is for me the turn limit as I am usually not good in the required reckless pushing necessary then.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Challenging, 1.0.4
Ended on turn 12/21 with -114 gold.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8
I had no strategic plan whatsoever. Just fanned out south. I felt like I was asking, "Can you take this guy? ... No? ... Can you take this guy? ... Yes? ... Ok ... go!"
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Waiting out the 21 turns didn't make sense when there was a lovely damsel in distress trapped in a cage.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? It is an interesting story about Tallin and the dwarves.
When I saw the amount of enemy units, I freaked out a little and recalled 13 additinal units. I ended up with negative gold in the end. I have 11 loyals, so another 7(?) might have been sufficient, but it would have taken me more time to finish.
9. Really, what's not to like? A Drake, a Spectre...now a Gryphon and a princess!
More villages, unless we don't need a lot of gold in the next scenario.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? yes, I (shamefully) admit I reloaded once to save a loyal.
Last edited by shadow12 on March 10th, 2017, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Nightmare.

2. 7.

3. I didn't realize that you didn't have to also extract the princess; knowing that a little more clearly probably would have changed my tactics a little.

4. Interesting.

5. The time limit was a little close, especially since I was trying to find a way to extract the princess as well. Managed to complete on round 13 by doing a mad dash with level 3's and using the Archlich to hold off the eastern castle. Didn't get a lot of xp into anything but a few close to leveling steelclads, although the archlich AMLAed as well as a few other units at the perfect times to recover from dangerous situations.

6. 6. Sprinting in as fast as possible and extracting the princess worked thematically, no complaints there, but it was just a simple smash and grab; fine as scenarios go, but nothing special.

7. None really, it was done well for what it was.

8. Lich got killed once which forced a restart; found out pretty quickly that he, unlike the archlich, cannot be trusted to hold off enemies on his lonesome even on 60% defense terrain.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal

I was uncertain what would happen once I freed the princess. Would I have to get her to safety? Finish off the orcs? Turns out its an easy scenario ender.

Verbose but good.

I never got a good feel for when the orcs would spring to life, otherwise it was the usual tactics of defending against the initial wave of attackers and then attacking. I limited my recruiting to my income.

7. Figuring out how to use the liches was interesting. It feels like I've got quite an arsenal at this point.

A lot of the orcs never came "came to life." That doesn't seem very realistic.

No.
Attachments
NR-Elvish_Princess_replay.gz
(80.8 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.1, Hard

Clear, but Thrash did well in pointing out that they'd not be clear, if you didn't play it before.

Neat.

Figuring out how much I can push against the orcs without overreaching.

6, I like having lots of different units.

Adding a note to the scenario objectives that assures the player that you immediatly win the scenario upon freeing the princess.
Giving the orcish guards some lines saying something like 'Get them' and 'No, stay on your posts, the elves are close', to give them at least some kind of reason. Maybe add a 'Who cares about discipline! I want to fight!' to the first Orc guard rushing out to attack me.

Overreaching.
Attachments
NR-Elvish Princess replay.gz
(54.67 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear

- Good intro dialogue. There wasn't too much of it in the actual scenario

- Avoiding to be trampled by orcs. Luckily, since my two mages of light are invincible, they got it done

- Eh, it's fine

- No
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.15.2.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6. A good challenge, but not too difficult compared to other scenarios in this campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Perfectly clear.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
We're here to rescue an elvish princess before the elves do, so that we can use her as leverage to get the elves to ally with us? That's a bit of a stretch IMO, but not too bad.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No major challenges, honestly. The main one was pushing across the bridge in the north, but I used the ancient lich, and had the flyers providing support.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. This one is a nice challenge that nonetheless makes your army feel really powerful.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing comes to mind.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:58 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

4, only way to fail seems to be tripping yourself up.

Clear.

Clear.

Not tripping myself up by rushing too much/attacking the fortress at night.

-

Scenario stats:
First attempt:
Spoiler:
Second attempt:
Spoiler:
Success:
Spoiler:
Attachments
NR-Elvish Princess replay 20201217-091605.gz
First attempt
(45.73 KiB) Downloaded 259 times