Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Zubb

Re: Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Post by Zubb »

:hmm:
(1) Nightmare. No save/load.
(2) 10+. As for now I consider this scenario unbeatable on my difficulty level.
(3) Look clear, I haven't made it yet.
(4) clear
(5) No money. No time. Give me either one and i pass this one. But with 12 units u can't beat 40+ enemy units in heavy terrain in 15 turns.
(6) Uh oh. 5/10. I'm stuck, thats strange.
(7) Uh show me there am I wrong but its unbeatable in 15 turns.
(8) Yeah I can't kill them all in 15 turns.

*Note. In this scenario I've found out that white mages are immortal >< I don't like it. More than this I don't like that I didn't know that than I cleared the Lichs dungeon that would save me a few dozen lvl 3 units. But only the 1st try really counts ...
alda

Post by alda »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
difficult

Hard to say. It's quite impossible to beat it the first time cos of the suicidal dwarf leader. I had to try several different combinations (and not be too unlucky on my strikes) before I could find a way so that he didn't move to the village and get killed by the troll. After you've passed the first turn, it's not really difficult, mainly thanks to the white mages.

Getting through the first turn. After this, just find the best way for my white mages to draw the main enemy force to them, so that my "army" of loyal-only units could just go get the lich.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The first turn. There is no way to guess how the friendly AI will react, and finding how to deal with it has nothing to do with strategy. Just doing so that the dwarf leader won't move in the village (or anywhere else) would be fine.
asketenbert

Post by asketenbert »

On Level Nightmare this level is impossible to win.
asketenbert

Post by asketenbert »

OK, with the Ghost from the "Pursuit"-Senario and high-leveled Elenia and Krash ist is possible.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.8.3, Spearman (Challenging), i.e. Normal difficulty

3 – easy, unless you’re really unlucky, or pick the wrong recruits

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine

Due to starting with 100 gold I could recall just 5 units, so the main problem was what to recall. I wasn’t sure what would be the main enemy type I would be facing (troll, ogre, griffons, something else), so I had to guess.

7 – it has quite an unusual mix of enemies, and my ally using only Ulfserkers was also different from usual

No changes – I think it is fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
LevrieR

Post by LevrieR »

(1) Nightmare (1.8.4)

(2) Hard to say. In my opinion, only one way to beat it : "OK, with the Ghost from the "Pursuit"-Senario and high-leveled Elenia and Krash ist is possible." Doing this, it pretty easy to defend dwarves with high level dwarves (yours) and the invicibles priests... Killing the objective with 3 units in one turn (maybe possible to rush sooner and have 2 rounds to kill him) recquires saves & loads.
On the one hand, having like only one possibility to do this level deserves a nice 10/10+, on the other hand, when you have the right strategy and use save&load (for kiling the objectiv in a turn or two) it's quiet easy.

(3) Clear.

(4) Not bad.

(5) Only 15 turns.

(6) 2 or 3 : Considering that every strategies done before finding the good one finish with a "dwarf suicide" or "no more turn, please insert coin" without real difficulty on the battlefield, I don't find this very fun...

(7) More difficulty on the battlefield (defending dwarves on the bridge on the very east of the map is really easy), more time or more gold to offer more possibilities to beat the scenario.

(8) Running out of time or not killing the boss in a turn...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? Nightmare; 1.9.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 9. It's not ridiculously hard once you realize the severity of the time limit and so, as someone put it, the scenario should be renamed "Run, Run, Run!" Note that I did have the loyal drake and loyal spectre, which helped a little.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine but lengthy.
(5) Challenges? Keeping loyals alive, 15 turn limit.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8
(7) Changes? More time for sure on nightmare: 17 turns at least. And the invincible mages should be changed so that they can't move or attack on the same turn they are resurrected. Otherwise, you can suicide attack with a Mage of Light versus a Red Mage, then you get to move and attack again, now with full hit points.
(8) Restarts? Many failures, restarting from start, no save-reloads. I had a victory with the loss of my loyal spectre, then replayed from start to win with no losses.
(9) WML? Well commented.
(10) Replay? Attached. I recalled my three loyal dwarves and two additional dwarf lords initially, then another dwarf lord at the other keep. I sent a strong, resilient, non-loyal 96 HP dwarf lord alone to guard the south coast; apparently this intimidated the enemy into not fording. Meanwhile, all the rest of my forces headed east and then south. I put the invincible Mages of Light out in harm's way, where they would distract the enemy, while quick dwarf lords and other fast forces tried to advance as fast as possible along the east board edge, though it was slow going. Surprisingly, the enemy forces were pretty much eliminated. The Lich should have been toast on turn 14, but he got lucky repeatedly and finally succumbed on turn 15.
Attachments
NR-Settling_Disputes_replay.gz
(66.95 KiB) Downloaded 1627 times
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1) Level, Version? Normal, 1.9.4
2) Difficulty? 5.
3) Clear? Clear.
4) Dialogue? Fine.
5) Challenges? The Old Lich is dangerous at night. Didn't save him, though.
6) Fun? 7.
7) Changes?None.
8) Restarts? None.
9) WML? Nicely done.
Symbiote

Post by Symbiote »

Where did all my gold go!?
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

1) challenging, 1.8.5
(2) 7
(3) quite clear.
(4) nice!
(5) In the first two turns, badluck easily makes you loose. My white magi, one of them l3, didn't reliably kill the lich in the first turn; once an ogre escaped his ulf and freeed the lich on turn 2, who in turn killed the dwarvish lord I should have protected (who was a bit suicidal anyway, but OK, that's normal for the berserk he is)...
(6) 6
(7) Give the dwarf more than one HP in the beginning and one more ulf.
(8) First two turns
(9) n/a
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I did win on Nightmare, but I wouldn't have if the lich had more than average luck on the last turn. To make it less luck based, there should be two more turns, and the death of the first lich should be scripted. (If you don't kill him on the first turn, you are probably already toast.) Also, I'm sure it's impossible without knowing that the white mages are immortal. That needs to be mentioned somewhere.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

Who had the clever idea to give this scenario a 15 turn turn limit? This really forces you to abuse the major flaw of this campaign (immortals), it just feels like cheating.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Challenging, 1.0.4
At first I was worried about only 100 gold to start, but it worked out ok.
Finished turn 16/25 with about 350 gold carry over.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6. A straight forward battle.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very clear.
Clear and interesting. The storyline has a nice flow that ties into the battles. I liked seeing the Ancient liche in a cage.

Figuring out which of my 25 level3 units to pick, I just went with a mix.
Fighting tough enemies after crossing the river.
Keeping my units alive when they were wounded and attacked.
The nights were brutal!
The gryphons were a big challenge, but Krash, the Inferno Drake, blasted away at them. The Spectre helped a great deal because he could move far.
Keeping Sister Thera alive so she could become a Mage of Light.
Trying to keep Father Mage alive until he gets to MoL, so he doesn't lose xp when reanimating.

9. I enjoyed it!
It is fun to have these high level units to work with.
Elena, the Shyde, was helpful since she could fly across the water to help my team in the west.
I put the liche in the cage on the first turn thanks to the Arch Mage.
Luckily the Dwarf Lord stayed by his keep.
The Ulfserkers were fun to watch, they kept beating the crap out of the enemy units!
I sent the mages south together, and the recalls south together, and they all met up across the river.
It will be fun to have two liches on my side!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Can't think of any changes.
Tallin, now a General, got killed once. I did a reload not a restart, though. I did a few other reloads because I didn't want to lose my best troops, especially my one remaining loyal Dwarf.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
BillytheBabyGoat

Post by BillytheBabyGoat »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Nightmare.
2. 8.
3. Very.
4. Fun to go try and get a friendly Lich.
5. The time limit was pretty brutal, especially to keep a decent number of units alive. I didn't have to restart or have any problems with the dwarf leader though, because every hit from a white mage/Cameron hit the lich to beat him instantly, and the other white mage got an ogre. The dwarf leader ended up getting to close to the other ogre, but it got ulf'ed and somehow died from that so it didn't become an issue.
6. 4. The time limit was a little much; beating it in the timeframe was possible, but I got it on the last round and probably only because I recalled a bunch of quick level 3 footpads; didn't get any experience whatsoever towards leveling units, was basically just a mad dash with Krash/footpads/Tallin (With the ranged zap rod) and Abhai to try and kill the Lich (Who I correctly assumed was on the big keep in the middle of the fog). Doesn't have to be a great xp gaining map, but I could tell when I was beating it that the RNG gods were favoring me and that the map could be very, very annoying with a little less luck.
7. See 6.
8. None.