Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrash

Re: Scenario Review: NR 7 - Settling Disputes

Post by Thrash »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.12.6, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

7, getting the tactics right took me a few tries.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I still don't understand why I suddenly lost all my gold.

The dialog is above average, though I find it a little long-winded at times. More would not be better.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

I was playing my white mages a little conservatively since I'm trying to keep one alive so that they can level.

Attempt 1: Send everyone but my mages down the center and have the mages hold the east with the dwarves. The dwarves all quickly suicided and my mages were overwhelmed before my main army could make enough progress.

Attempt 2: Send a couple dwarf lords east to bolster the mages and the rest of my army down the center. Griffins came out of the fog, flanked me, and ate the druid (still L2).

Attempt 3: Attempt 2 but more conservative in the center to protect against griffins. Success. Replay attached.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

7. Short, nice twist with the mages teleporting and the dwarf saving. Watching the berserkers flail endlessly and rarely hitting is entertaining.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Given you have to decide how to split your army early, some hints to the player on how to do so would help. By the time I realized the berserkers were going to be as much help as wet tissue paper, my mages were really on their own.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

See attempts above.
Attachments
NR-Settling_Disputes_replay.gz
(80.85 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Thrash wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It's been a while since I played this, but wasn't there an explanation for this in the story?

Looking at the source code for the scenario here, it appears that Hamel says, "Ye’ll need to travel light to reach Highbrook Pass before the orcs mount another assault in force. I think ye should take as little gold as you think ye’ll need and leave the rest here. We’ll store it in the tunnels furthest away from the attacking orcs in case they break through."
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

gnombat wrote:
Thrash wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It's been a while since I played this, but wasn't there an explanation for this in the story?

Looking at the source code for the scenario here, it appears that Hamel says, "Ye’ll need to travel light to reach Highbrook Pass before the orcs mount another assault in force. I think ye should take as little gold as you think ye’ll need and leave the rest here. We’ll store it in the tunnels furthest away from the attacking orcs in case they break through."
Hi gnombat, you are right. that dialog is there and I missed it.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.1, Hard

8, figuring out how to protect Stalrag and how to actually beat those hordes took me 3 tries.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Fun.

Keeping Stalrag alive. Drawing the Gryphons away from him. Killing any Gryphon that might reach him.

7. I like the charakters.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Add a Note that this scenario is possible to win, even though it does not look like it.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Grpyhon assasinations.
Attachments
NR-Settling Disputes replay.gz
(54.76 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear

- Nice dialogue, even nicer that you have new allies, including two friendly liches!

- Making sure Ro'Sothian(?) doesn't escape as I held him in the cage with a fugitive

- It's a good one, though Stalrag could be under my control so he doesn't become too suicidial

- No
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

With the 1.14.7 version, when Sister Thera or Father Morvin are killed, they are relocated near Tallin; this is a very big problem in this scenario. :hmm:

Playing the harder level, the only way to win this scenario is to send the two white mages straight against the necromancer, and when one of the two is killed she/he is relocated near the place where she/he die; Instead, now he/she is placed near Tallin, normally further away from the goal.

In my opinion it's now quite impossible to win this scenario; and perhaps we can take away the quite :(

I think needs more turns or less gold for the enemy; it takes a little time to eliminate 1600 gold pieces of enemy units starting with 80 :eng:
Luke the Flaming

Post by Luke the Flaming »

The WML code for this scenario has an issue: after you kill ("capture") Ro'Sothian, the objectives only list the defeat conditions.

That's because the variable that should show the new objective (to "capture" Ro'Arthian) is set in the name=die event of Ro'Sothian, that never triggers (because Ro'Sothian is killed by the [store_unit] code during its name=last breath event... and that does not fire any event, because that's how [store_unit] works).

The brief text of the name=die event ( {VARIABLE defeat_arthian yes} and [show_objectives] ) should just be moved in the name=last breath event, before [store_unit] for example.
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.15.2.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear enough.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This one had quite an interesting opening, hindered only by the fact that I hate the white mages with a passion and want them to die. The end dialogue was okay too.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The allied leader is an idiot who has no concept of screening himself from enemy attacks. Keeping him alive was a real challenge. And his use of his units makes me want to die - WHY ARE YOU PUTTING BERSEKRES INTO THE WATER!?

Facing so many gryphons is a pain because of their mobility, and the volume of mages made my ghost and footpad-line really vulnerable too. Dealing damage was easy enough, but I took far too much in return.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4. Quite a frustrating experience overall.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The allied AI needs some micro-AIs to make it less stupid.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:55 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I restarted twice because of losing valuable units.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

8, it got pretty close, even with me doing multiple attempts to figure it out.

Crystal.

Clear.

Somehow getting through this huge bulk of enemies in time, without taking too many risk/getting overrun.

-

Scenario stats:
I'm skipping the stats for the mistakes, since none of them got even close.
Success:
Spoiler:
Attachments
NR-Settling Disputes replay 20201211-173634.gz
(49.63 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
NR-Settling Disputes replay 20201211-174457.gz
(47.63 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
NR-Settling Disputes replay 20201211-175344.gz
(47.1 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
NR-Settling Disputes replay 20201211-181149.gz
(55.72 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
NR-Settling Disputes replay 20201211-182315.gz
(46.92 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
NR-Settling Disputes replay 20201211-184202.gz
Success
(54.13 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
17229_walker

Post by 17229_walker »

1. Version 1.14.17, Difficult
2. 10. Nightmare is impossible, the only scenario in the campaign i can't do on nightmare.
3. Clear
4. Clear
5. Ninja griffins, hordes of trolls and mages, along wih suicidal allies
6. 3
7. More time, more gold, and smarter allies.
P.s. i made an account just to.post this, so if anyone has a replay of this scenario on nightmare, played on the current version, i will be highly grateful. All the replays i could find of this scenario were either outdated or corrupted. Thanks.

Update: it is, after lots of tries, actually possible on impossible.
soft_wizard

Post by soft_wizard »

17229_walker wrote: October 13th, 2021, 5:53 pm 1. Version 1.14.17, Difficult
2. 10. Nightmare is impossible, the only scenario in the campaign i can't do on nightmare.
3. Clear
4. Clear
6. 3
P.s. i made an account just to.post this, so if anyone has a replay of this scenario on nightmare, played on the current version, i will be highly grateful. All the replays i could find of this scenario were either outdated or corrupted. Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, could you describe your strategy for completing this on nightmare? I'm stuck on it and am almost out of ideas!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

soft_wizard wrote: January 11th, 2022, 9:38 pm
17229_walker wrote: October 13th, 2021, 5:53 pm 1. Version 1.14.17, Difficult
3. Clear
4. Clear
6. 3

If you don't mind me asking, could you describe your strategy for completing this on nightmare? I'm stuck on it and am almost out of ideas!
Check out the replays here.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
17229_walker

Post by 17229_walker »

strategy i used. take bunch of heavy hitters, cross the ford. immortal white mages and our glorious leader should go down the right side of the map.
wear down the numbers, while sneaking the ghost near, but nott too near the lich. sacrifice one pitiful unit to lure him out, when there are a few turns left.
strike with ghost and everything else. hope for the best. good luck.

by the way, do not check out the replays. All are outdated or corrupted. My antivirus had a field day when i tried to open them.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

17229_walker wrote: January 18th, 2022, 1:33 pm by the way, do not check out the replays. All are outdated or corrupted. My antivirus had a field day when i tried to open them.
Do check the replays, but keep in mind that you'd better use the wesnoth version the players used, instead of the latest one.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium