Scenario Review: NR 4 - Clearing the Mines

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 4 - Clearing the Mines

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Scenario Review: NR 4 - Clearing the Mines

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Easy

6, because I had lots of gold.

Kill'em all, doesn't get much clearer that that.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The villain is a bit too c-class fifties horror movie for my taste.

After the hordes of the necrophages rise from the canal, to kill the last enemy leader fast enough, so that I didn't need to fight them.

6, after a while, smashing the skeletons get tedious. The necropgahe suprise was refreshening, but I only had one enemy left at that point, so I rather dashed to kill it that to deal with them.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
The necrophage suprise certainly would have, if I hadn't been close enough to winning at that point.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

Easy.

Pretty Clear.

It was good.

Necrophages! The Lich positioned himself behind them, so I lost some levelled units trying to get to him.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Tough to do within the storyline.

Necrophages!! see above.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Easy

4 till the necrophages came then i died

very

alright

Necropages as i moved my leader with my mage guy to kill the lich and then all these enemies spawn :?

Not as many necrophages.

necrophages
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

9/4

Clear

Clear & interesting

The ghouls which materialize behinde my lines.

10/4

Warn about the ghouls

The ghouls

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Cleat

---------------------

The ghouls coused me a lot of trouble. Eighter there should be smaller amount of them (let say - 5) or the player should be warned from the beginning. So the first number in rating is without ghouls and the second one is with them.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

1) Easiest, I think.

2) 10

3) The objectives were clear, though frusteratingly unatainable :D

4) The Lich offering you a chance to join him seemed pointless. Their was no reason to say yes, and if you did nothing interesting happened anyways. If their was some build up to that moment, if it happened, say, after the Necrophages apear, it might be more interesting. :twisted:

5)I have played this repeatedly and never come close to winning. I usualy put a delaying force in the tunnel above my starting point, recruit as many troops as I can (mostly dwarves) and head along the bottom of the map. I usually get the leader down there, but heading up towards the Lich at the top of the map, the tunnels widen out and I get attacked from multiple directions. I'm usually either struggling or screwed when the necrophages appear, at which point its quickly over.

6) 3 or 4 at best, I'd say. But its probably more fun for those who can beat it.

7) Have the Lich's offer to join him come later in the senario(when the necrophages appear). Possibly. There's really nothing terribly wrong with it except that its difficult, and its clearly supposed to be that.

8) The necrophages are the death blow, but I doubt I'd have won anyway.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

The Lich offering you a chance to join him seemed pointless. Their was no reason to say yes, and if you did nothing interesting happened anyways. If their was some build up to that moment, if it happened, say, after the Necrophages apear, it might be more interesting.
It will - see the code.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Normal.

Until the swamp surprise, average. After that, impossible. 10/10

Absolutely.

Good again.

When the necrophages appeared, I had many high-level units trapped with no chance to save them. I think I could beat the scenario by playing another 30 moves, recruiting thousands of units, but that would be very boring, not to mention the loss of valuable units. When the dialogue warned about something to appear, I was thrilled, but when I saw what it was, I was like: "WTF? How in heaven do I fight this?" Putting up to 8 or so necrophages/ghouls would be enough and the effect would be the same, I believe. But spawning 240 of them is just not funny.

Until the surprise, okay. 5/10

Dramatically decrease the number of the necrophages/ghouls.

The necrophages.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

(1) NEWB difficulty, 1.4.3.
(2) About…8. Then again, I was abusing saveloads. :oops:
(3) Crystal. Go in, clear out, don't die.
(4) The dialogue was decent. There was just no motive for Tallin to go to the dark side, other than seeing another portrait. The villain was hard to take seriously…until the necrophages.
(5) Due to my need to wipe the map sparkling clean of all the ghouls/necros before taking on the last 2 leaders, I had to spend a lot of time healing in villages that simply weren't near the action. I didn't notice the time limit.
(6) Maybe a 6 or 7, because after the first two leaders go down, all the enemies start trickling towards your newly-leveled units instead of flooding, which is more fun. Then those icky widdle flesh-eaters pop up, and it turns into a combination of "holy mackerel, I have to get my units outta there" and "holy mackerel, there are still more ghouls to kill and I'm too weak to attack but so are they".
(7) Possibly making the map size a teensy wee bit smaller, or adding more villages. That might take away the feel…
(8) W/o saveloads, the flesh eaters. W/ saveloads, I AM INVINCIBLE!!
(9) N/A
I shall take this potato chip... and eat it!!
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy 1.6

8. Tough but doable. I thought it was going to be easy until the 'surprise' :D

Clear.

Again very good.

Obviously the necrophages were bad, but I managed by retreating to safety and whittling them down slowly. I actually lost more high-level units taking down the lich than the necrophages, though.

10. I really enjoyed this one.

Fine as is.

I confess I went back a turn when the fire mage lost against the lich :oops:
Khamsin

Post by Khamsin »

Easy, cause I have other challenges enough. :o

Too easy (2), even the ghouls couldn't stop me. I just went through in one go. I think I started with a lot of gold and ended up with even more.

There was nothing to misunderstand.

Can't remember it, because it was some days ago I played. But I still remember the easiness...

None.
I used two armies of about 10 to 15 units each - one rushing north and one to the right, both mainly composed of outlaws and dwarven steelclad (just found the figure list, I usually play German), and the skeletons were shattered like paper. But I usually don't care about losing high level units - you always get new ones levelled up especially in mass scenarios like this with a lot of money. I think I only recruited new units in the upper left castle, but it was not much necessary.

When the ghouls turned up, the army moving right was that much north already I simply swarmed Malifor pushing him out of the castle. The ghouls were used to train the archers, maybe I lost some footpads, but not worth talking about.

About 6-7.

The sceletons wait till I come close enough, then rush out of the fortications. I leave them the first bite and then crush them with the outlaws / fugitives.
That's stupid. They either have to await me with their first line and attack with the units behind or they have to come in a massive attack. Maybe the trigger to make them attack should be widened (if you now what I mean).
These tactics work even better in the next scenario.

Maybe when I lost some of the unit I can't recreate (the mage or the master dwarve), but as said above: I usually don't care much about the mass units, even if levelled up.
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

challanging 1.7.6

6 - had to swarm the ancient lich with expandable footpads; he eat them for breakfast, but he would have eaten everything (more valuable) else too

clear

very good

healing poisoned units by moving them a long way to a free village

8 - the huge amount of ghouls took me by suprise; cost me some units, but was fun anyway

reduce the number of ghouls or replace half of them with something else; right now its poison overkill;

none

n/a
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

Nghtmare (165) No save/load
clear
mediocre
none. experienced units from #2 + dwarf fighters wiped the mines clear of all unlive in 20 turns. Lost one 1 Fugitive and several 2nd lvls, advanced even more ... On lich killing - Fugitives and Highwaymen clubbed him to death with no risk to their own lives.
make it more challenging, more starting gold for UD = longer pressure = more challenge for last 10 turns i was hacking my through the standing guards to the lich, leaders basically stopped recruiting.
no
Last edited by Zubb on November 9th, 2009, 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

:hmm: I didn't see any ghouls in the scenario. What i did wrong?
alda

Post by alda »

difficult (swordsman)

4, not very difficult actually, just killing skeles with dwarvish fighters, but I guess the difficulty depends whether you kill all leaders before turn 21 or not

quite clear, maybe there there should be some earlier hint about ghouls (it didn't bother me since I finished the scenario just in time)

twas okay

none. But it could have been a lot different if I hadn't kill the lich just the turn the ghouls appear, so that their apparition just made me smiling cos I knew they couldn't attack me. Anyway, I think this really is too much. The scenario basically end up being : will you kill all leaders before turn 21 and have a huge bonus, or having to deal with an army of ghouls and lose lot of units ? and also, time limit here is incredibly high, especially compared to the second scenario of this campaign. So you have a crazy bonus at the end of the scenario. Having 2377 gold for next scenario made me laugh :) (but maybe I will have to use lot of gold for next scenarios, I don't know...)

5, apparition of ghouls is fun, would maybe have been less if I had actually dealt with them, but them appearing all of a sudden in swamps is kinda bizarre.

This ghoul event should be reworked, I think, maybe sending them when you attack the lich for the first time, or move to the area near his keep, so that you'll see them even if you finish the scenario quickly, and of course there should be less of them

Almost no reload here, though I lost some high lvl units, including one or two fugitives

didn't watch