Scenario Review: NR 2 - Infested Caves

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

holypaladin

Re: Scenario Review: NR 2 - Infested Caves

Post by holypaladin »

Hard scenario :hmm:
But I complete it witch alternative and I have Camerin :whistle: Cool
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

holypaladin wrote:Hard scenario :hmm:
But I complete it witch alternative and I have Camerin :whistle: Cool
You did not understand what you are supposed to do here.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I am very sorry
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
That's what you are supposed to do here.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.12.6, Normal, with 1200+ gold. (I get the feeling "normal" really should be called "easy.")

I'm also carrying over 2300+ gold to the next level. This is seeming silly.

Just getting Talin to the dwarves, 3. Beating all the leaders 8.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

In general pretty good, but the transition from the last scenario to this one was a bit abrupt. I went from peasants, bowmen, spearmen, poachers to footpads and thugs in a cave. I think a transition scenario that takes me underground and explains the new recruits would be a plus.

Breaking the two SW bottlenecks (green & orange). I might have done it with another 10 turns or so. I was hoping for a secret passage from the dwarves, but alas. I was hoping the combination of leveled footpads and poachers, plus Camerin wading in would speed things up. It did but not enough and I ran out of time (yes, all 60 turns).

For the first 40 turns it was fun.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some back entrance to the southern skeletons from the dwarven area. Maybe a sealed door only Camerin can open?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
NR-Infested_Caves_replay.gz
(125.25 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Nightmare, 1.14.1 (with some new events) (https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/3090)

Just getting Tallin to the dwarves, 8. Beating all the leaders 9.

Clear.

I like it.

Not to be overrun at any point of the game. And the dispatching all surviving enemy leaders before my turns run out.

7. Nerve wracking, but fun.

Make sure that either the dwarves can contest and overwhelm the eastern undead if the trolls die or make sure that those undeads die to the trolls.

Yep. At first it was the dwarves dying at turn 30 (of 45). Then it was (after the new event) the skeletons sieging me into oblivion (turn 46) because the trolls got wiped out.
It was way better when the trolls won vs the skeletons.

EDIT: I enjoyed the map, both the way it looks and the changes in it structures (e.g. way less villages overall).
Attachments
NR-Infested Caves replay.gz
(108.64 KiB) Downloaded 720 times
MrTic

Post by MrTic »

The easiest one.

Clear

Clear and interesting.

Holding the two troll tribes flooding at me at SW and NW.

6-7.

Some more villages around the starting keep, 3 wasn't enough to rotate all the injured units from SW and NW, towards East it was fine though.

Losing my leader to some lucky trolls. I leveled him to lv.2 Bowman just because of the trolls and actively used him to push out the NW flood of trolls.

Also it was my first time playing this scenario, so I had no idea the trolls would come in so many numbers. Maybe I was just unlucky but my footpads were decimated by trolls at first, so I've used only Poachers, they always recieved hits but somehow I managed to rotate then enough so most survived and some leveled. Also they deal enough damage to push them out. I also recruited a good deal of Woodsmen to help the poachers and soak hits (and die). Skeletons fell a bit easier to Footpads and Thugs, though.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Challenging

- Clear, though I wondered which way to go first.

- Seems good. Camerin is a funny character, I wonder what else he'll be saying if I manage to keep him alive. Funny how the arch mage has the lunatic life.

- Surviving the waves of trolls and eventually skeletons, but in the end I got few leveled units

- If the skeletons were once dwarves, how about creating skeletal dwarves? Smaller, but deadlier on roughened terrains!

- Not actually
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:46 am (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.15.2
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
10 (going in blind) 6 (with foreknowledge)
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear enough.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
In this scenario I started to notice the dialogue being a little... awkward. Only in parts, though. Overall, it was well-written enough, and kept my interest. Camerin is a ridiculous caricature but it works.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Going in blind, I had little idea what enemies I'd be facing, and in what numbers, or that the dwarves would be turning up. Basically, I was guessing my way through, and chose poor strategies because of that.

WIth foreknowledge (from my failed attempt), the main challenge was pushing through bottlenecks against the trolls. The undead weren't too threatening, one I assassinated through the northern passage, and the other was killed by the trolls - but my word, trolls can hold narrow passageways very well, especially before I get my poachers levelled up.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. I didn't mind having to restart so much, but the sheer amount of time spent slogging through narrow passageways got a bit tiring. Also, I'm never too keen on underground scenarios, because they miss out on time-of-day that adds a rhythm to the game.
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Widening the passagways in a few places might be worth doing? Maybe give the trolls some shamans for a bit more unit variety?
Content Feedback wrote: March 12th, 2008, 11:44 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I had to restart after going in blind, but once I knew what was up, no.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Will provide a full feedback later, but for now:
Game 1. Started off with a small army, visited the meadow village at the NW corner and found the mage, noticed that my army was way too small for the amount of enemies in the scenario, and thus decided to restart.
Game 2. Started off again with a big army, visited the meadow village at the NW corner and found no mage, noticed that the scenario map was different to game #1, thought that something odd was going on and decided to restart.
Game 3. Started off again with a big army, visited the meadow village at the NW corner and found the mage, noticed that the scenario map was different to games #1 and #2... and then I noticed that this is a feature, not a bug.

So, this is an ever-different scenario. As for the absence of the mage on my game #2, I expect it to have a reasonable explanation, such as the mage being located on the other meadow village at the NE corner (reasonable but tough - good luck getting through most of the map without the help of this powerful ally). I love the idea of a scenario that is different every time. Brilliant.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.15.7, Royal Guard (Nightmare)

9, I lost when I went casual at it.
5 with the 'right' strategy. (right = it worked for me)

Sort of clear. But you have no idea where to look for the dwarves. (Of course you can easily deduce it once you've seen the great hall).

I like it.

Surviving. D:

9, I just like this style.

-

Scenario stats and replays:
Spoiler: