Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Feedback for the mainline campaign Northern Rebirth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Post by Content Feedback »

Breaking the Chains is the first scenario of Northern Rebirth. Feel free to reply to this thread and answer the following questions about it so that we know your opinion of the scenario.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Scenario Review: NR 1 - Breaking the Chains

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Easy

The objective is clear, how to actually accomplish it another matter

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Pretty clear

It was not enough to stay out of the fighting orcs' way and collect villages, the problem was that the winning orcs would have second level units unless I would move in every now and then and finish the wounded units to collect the XP for myself.

The style of fighting in this scenario is refreshing, because you have to find very fine balance between being offensive and defensive.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The fighting was appropriately challenging, but the time limit maybe too long, because I finished with more than 1000 gold.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nothing but my own mistakes. :)
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Derekkk

Post by Derekkk »

Medium

Very clear

Clear and nice

Predicting if the AI would attack me or themselves.

It's a very refreshing style of play at the moment. But it would be nice if the player's leader is more unique. Right now, there is little incentive to level up the leader except the fact that it HAS to be leveled up for future scenarios.

The trolls from the mountains destroyed my army of peasants

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I didn't check :P
F50

Post by F50 »

normal (the easiest setting)

clear

interesting. I wonder what mission that orc was sent on.

lvling units and keeping units alive

7. I like this style of fighting

none

units dying
Oglander

Post by Oglander »

Easy.

Clear.

Clear.

Not getting found by wandering Orcs before I'd built a sizable force.

8, It forces you to think in a new way.

Maybe release the trolls automatically in the later stages?

See above; I kept getting found early by wandering Orcs, esp the blue leader.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A!
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

Very clear

Interesting. Especially 'master'

Keep myself out of the battle and recruiting instead of attacking

6 - it is not my type of game (many v. weak units)

No. It has its balance ((6) is my personal view)

No

Clear
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Normal.

Relatively easy. Following the advice of Tallin to swarm enemy units, and avoiding the cave entrance that spawns trolls, I had just a few losses. 3/10

Absolutely.

Very clear and very interesting. I like the idea of two orcish oppressors fighting each other, while an uprising outbursts. I also like all the chatting between the orcs. The only thing I do not like is the new dialogue system, where some dialogues appear at the top of the screen and some at the bottom.

The first time I played the scenario, I let my units scatter too much, and so I lost. And I found the trolls to be too much for my poor peasants to fight. But I like it, it's okay to have a really tough challenge here and there if it is optional. The second time I kept them shoulder to shoulder and I won relatively easily.

It's just great. 9/10

I would add a bit more chatting between the orcish warlords. Other than that, nothing.

My ill-thought tactics. No bug here.

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Royal Guard (Nightmare) 1.5.8

4. The orcs can indeed crush your peasant/woodsman army quite quickly, but if you stay away from the blue/green battle you are fine on your own. Making use of the keep to the west of the blue leader means you can keep recruiting while they are fighting, thus amassing a fairly substantial force.

Crystal.

Not bad at all, and the story before the scenario is well-told.

None.

8. It was a nice challenge, of judging how long to stay back and pick off the odd unit before moving in to finish off the two leaders.

Works as it is now.

Nope.

Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Easy, 1.5.8
6... I let the orcs fight against each other a bit to weaken them before i came in
Crystal.
Clear.
Defeat a level 3 when you're level 0.
8, Especially the troll surprise.
Let the trolls always come out.
I tried it 2 times, second time i fled to another keep and triggereed the trolls to fight the orcs, i lost... :(
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

Easy, 1.6
7, i.e. just right. Challenging, but still fun.
Very clear.
A good story.
Trying to level units, as the enemy AI seems to target those that are nearing levelling up
10. This was fun, and refreshingly different from other scenarios in how it needed to be approached. Much more strategy and less tactics.
None, it was perfect.
No, succeeded at the first attempt.
silent

Post by silent »

1.6 has made this much easier for me to beat

Spearman (challenging) 1.6
8 if you're trying to level units or mind your own business. Thankfully 1.6 finally got it right and instead of Al'Tar running around like a moron, he actually stayed in his keep and fought the green nicely. I was lucky to find he deserted his keep to slay a lone peasant at one point, where I smuggled tallin into and spammed them both into submission
Forcibly clear
Dialogue was fine, heheh stupid Al'tar
basically, this scenario is more easily beaten if you can keep woodsmen in favourable terrain. They will prove to be your biggest orc slayer since neither leader is too keen on bowman early, or they are slain when their armies meet head on
2 at the start. Level 0 vs. orc spam is difficult, though it's a 10 when you beat back their armies + huge gold reserve + PEASANT POWER
After all the bloody difficulty 1.4.7 caused me, 1.6 has fixed this as it seems (since I don't know WML) Al'Tar finally decides to attack the other orc force and not me, so that change has made this scenario much better. Don't change it.
If i was trying to level a peasant I would save beforehand
don't know WML
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

challanging 1.7.6

clear

excellent

lvl up Tallin and Zlex

8 - I especially liked the troll suprise when I moved to the mine entrance

Tallin should level into a Sergeant or some other more unique unit

lvl 2 Troll killed Tallin with his club

n/a
Zubb

Post by Zubb »

Breaking the Chains is the first scenario of Northern Rebirth.

Nightmare (1.6.5.) No save/load during scenario. (how do you attach replays btw?)
clear
mediocre
none. spam woodsmen, wait while orcs kill each over. shoot the winning (green in my case) orc leader.
dunno
none. the only setback during the scenario was then i lost a loyal peasant :(
n/a
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Easiest difficulty, versions 1.4.7, 1.7.10

1.4.7 I couldn't complete, 1.7.10, I only completed because I let my cousin play out the first 30 turns or so

Clear

Can't really remember it, although once I defeated the leaders I found it quite interesting that another orc appear, it certainly adds to the stroyline

Again, can't really say for 1.7.10, as my cousin played out most of it. Although, perhaps having enough units survive and level up is the most challenging aspect. Although my cousin didn't manage to keep the loyal unit alive, we still at the end had a Royal Guard (it was Strong and Resilient, not intelligent, hence required 125 EXP to get from level 0 to level 3!), 4 Bowman, and a Poacher surviving, in addition to many other woodsman and peasants.

For 1.4.7, just surviving is enough of a challenge. I'm glad it's a bit easier on 1.7.10, with blue leader focussing properly on green leader.

It's frustrating to lose so many units when they're close to levelling to level 1, however, if you can get a group of units of level 1 or higher, it makes it more interesting. I managed to almost kill the blue orc leader using my (at the time) level 2 swordsman, from 50+ HP down to just 11 in one turn, used a woodsman and a final blow from the swordsman (after a few saveloads to remove the units that were blocking my swordsman/woodsman combo from both being able to attack), and did most the damage to the green orc leader using bowmen and the poacher, finished off with Tallin, so he only needs 2 more EXP to level up on the next mission.
alda

Post by alda »

difficult (swordsman)

7, pretty challenging for a starting level, but not insanely difficult if you've understood how to do

very clear

twas fine

finding how to deal with lvl 0 units, since I had never played such a scenario

9, quite fun and very original

none

I had played this scenario once before but attacked too soon so I restarted and everything was fine. (didn't really need to reload then for losing lvl 0 units)

didn't watch