Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lujo

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Post by lujo »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Highest, 1.12.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

1 to kill one leader, ??? for more (I played at the highest difficulty and after having killed one guy I reloaded liberally so I can't tell)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Fine

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

No complaints

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Nothing, really, Initiates are a silly unit, and Brawlers are a ludicrous unit and they make the level rather easy, at leas as far as killing one guy is concerned. Killing more than one guy is somewhat difficult because it's hard to tell when to split up your force and how many units to allocate for killing one guy, and playing sensibly and conservatively sets you up against the clock. But that's the only real challenge, if the scenario had 2-4 more turns, with the full understanding of just how silly Initiates and Brawlers are there would not really be that much challenge.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

8. I don't even mind it being on the same map as the first scenario, but this earns it an 8 instead of a ten. For a good reason - the first scenario was more difficult than this one, and this caused me to play conservatively when I didn't really have to, and this ended up helping the clock which is the real opponent here.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I'd make sure the player gets prompted to pick up the ring. What happened to me caused quite a bit of dissapointment. I killed the SW leader first and didn't realize where the ring was or how you pick it up. So when I killed the other two leaders I had no time to pick the ring up and had to complete the level by going off the map, and I allready killed all the liches. Felt disconnected and dissapointing. I also didn't get the ring. So I'd do something about that.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Well, I didn't notice the ring and failed to pick it up. Then having killed all the enemies I had noone who could pick it up near the damned thing so I had to exit the map and "flee"... from nothing, all the enemies were dead. I didn't restart but it was tempting.
Poison

Post by Poison »

lujo wrote:Well, I didn't notice the ring and failed to pick it up. Then having killed all the enemies I had noone who could pick it up near the damned thing so I had to exit the map and "flee"... from nothing, all the enemies were dead. I didn't restart but it was tempting.
Ummm... when you kill all the leaders the game ends automatically? :? (at least on 1.13.8 ) Make sure to mention it if that was not the case for you so it gets fixed. Unless you meant all the enemies near the SW leader, I really don't know how anyone could clear all the enemies in this level unless he kills the leaders.
lujo

Post by lujo »

Poison wrote:
lujo wrote:Well, I didn't notice the ring and failed to pick it up. Then having killed all the enemies I had noone who could pick it up near the damned thing so I had to exit the map and "flee"... from nothing, all the enemies were dead. I didn't restart but it was tempting.
Ummm... when you kill all the leaders the game ends automatically? :? (at least on 1.13.8 ) Make sure to mention it if that was not the case for you so it gets fixed. Unless you meant all the enemies near the SW leader, I really don't know how anyone could clear all the enemies in this level unless he kills the leaders.
On 1.12.6 (the current "stable branch" download at the time of writing), when you kill all the enemy leaders, the game doesn't end. If you haven't picked up the ring which the orange leader drops, you get a message saying "Pick up the ring to end the level". I killed that enemy leader first, and I didn't even notice where the ring was (I thought the unit which killed him got it automatically). So I moved on to killing the other two, and did it on the last turn. I got the message to pick up the ring, I couldn't do it because I had no units nearby and I had to end the level by exiting the map with my leader.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I don't know why this happens. Maybe I was just being lazy when I wrote it. But, since there is no story reason for you to have the ring, this should probably be considered a bug.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lujo

Post by lujo »

beetlenaut wrote:I don't know why this happens. Maybe I was just being lazy when I wrote it. But, since there is no story reason for you to have the ring, this should probably be considered a bug.
Is there anything I can do to help fix it? I can't confirm what the situation is in 1.13.X but someone who knows how to write code for scenarios could easily check if there's a message you get which says something like "pick u the ring to end the scenario"...

The actual problem isn't so much that, but the fact that the ring is easy to miss. I got the message that "there's a ring here" when I killed the enemy leader who drops it, but I didn't realize it was there on the ground and that I had to pick it up as it was quite hard to see.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Difficult, 1.14.1

1-9 depends on what you are trying to achieve (1 for fleeing, 9 for defeating all 3 leaders)

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Liked.

None.

4 It's too easy to run.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Add some guards for the exit so I can't just walk out. Or maybe have me evacuate my units.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

None.
Attachments
DW-Flight replay.gz
(25.85 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- Pretty good. It's sad what was going to happen to Jotha, but there are some sacrifices that have to be made after all

- Surviving undead raids. Tons of these!

- Defeat at least one enemy leader should be victory condition

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, all four difficulty levels.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
0 to run, 8 to stay and win.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not that much interesting
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
This is another of those "Run, we are overwhelmed" scenarios where you can actually stay and win - but this time it is not easy. There are many enemy units, many level-2 enemy units and the terrain gets in the way - in particular, the knight in the top-right corner won't leave the desert terrain, forcing you to attack it there. Specially hard are the bats and units with flight, they keep taking villages too fast for you to recover them - and thus providing the enemy with more income to recruit more units.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It is good as it is. The three bonuts bats you get are fine - that way you can take the villages in the mountains. I hate to leave an scenario with villages untaken, and so I was annoyed when I played the "Invasion!" scenario which has the same map but no way to access those villages in the mountains.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
hetasser

Post by hetasser »

Hi
playing 1.14.7 version of the campaign
I just killed the last ennemy leader (SW) on difficult, and I can't seem to find the ring.
here is the printscreen just after the kill :

I didn't notice anything appearing post-kill, and trying to check every hexagon with troups didn't work

could anyone tell me if I'm missing something ? I had the message "pick up the ring to finish the scenario", but I cant (and I'm to far from the exit, with only 3 turns left so I can't do the "other" end of the scenario)

thanks
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

That's the south-east leader, the ring is on the hex of the south-west leader (4,24), where the friendly bat was.
hetasser

Post by hetasser »

aaaaarghhh

thanks
the fact that I only had the message on the last leader lead me astray
(I might have passed the dialog a little to fast on the second leader, it seems)

thanks for your help