South Guard 1. Born to the Banner

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

obnoxiousman

Re: South Guard 1. Born to the Banner

Post by obnoxiousman »

(1) Hard, 1.8.5
(2) 3
(3) Very Clear
(4) Caught my attention, but wasn't epic.
(5) Hmm... Not much.
(6) 7
(7) I think it was fine.
"Oh, Hamlet, thou hast cleft my heart in twain!" --William (Bill) Shakespeare, Hamlet
I made The Brotherhood of Wesnoth, a super fun (and incomplete) Campaign!
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Soldier - top difficulty level, 1.9.7, no saves/reloads, 80 starting gold <fixed>

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

Urza Mathin <lvl2, bandit, leader> has only 90gp to use vs. our 80 and is forced to attack South Guard units via the river so it's an easy & pleasant battle. Finished this one in turn 13/24.

1 lost unit, 10 kills

[SPOILER no.1]There are 2 loyal mermen in this scenario that will join the player if he will capture the 6,10 village. Nice addition to the South Guard forces.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It's good, I hope it will keep this level throughout the whole campaign.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Good XP-disposition was important, aside from that no challenges as expected.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

It's perfect introductory scenario that shows how leadership can be used, that lvl0 units can deal with lvl1's with proper tactic. Player can also learn the worth of loyal units and that he can find a nice things under every stone in Wesnoth :) . This map has also very nice, "natural" look. Great job!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

No changes required, it's awesome as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
TSG-Born_to_the_Banner_replay.gz
Born to the Banner replay, Soldier difficulty level, 1.9.7, no saves/reloads
(12.86 KiB) Downloaded 771 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Wesnoth wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Powershot wrote:(1)civilian(and no, I am not a newbie.) 1.9.5
(2)2-3
(3) simple and easy to understand
(4) quite clear
(5) the harsh high melee thugs
(6) 7
(7) more river for the merman on the map. :)
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.9.9 (80 starting gold)

Very.

It was good. However, the mermen mention lord Typhon. The lord Typhon from TRoW? That seems way to far into the past to be mentioned ;)

None.

5, it's a straight forward battle.

I don't think it needs any changes.

(8) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Very well done.
Attachments
(12.88 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
Last edited by Pewskeepski on October 10th, 2011, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

This was the first campaign I played a month ago, on easy, right after I found Wesnoth on the net.

I decided to replay it now on top difficulty w/o reloads, and it shined with new light. In short, it's awesome - nice maps, nice foes, plenty of opportunities to level up units, especially those loyal peasants are fun. The story line is good, though I don't bother much about it. It could definitely be made tougher, but I see no point in doing this, the campaign meets it's goals perfectly.

I'll post all my replays, though they might be less pro-looking than Faello's. I played the same way in many spots - I'm learning, e.g. b/c of his replays I realized how helpful a Netcaster can be, or that leveling loyal units is a must, plus I mimicked some tactic tricks as well.

1.9.6, top difficulty, no reloads

finished in turn 15/24, 2 losses 10 kills

3, I restarted a couple of times b/c carelessly lost Sir Gerrick in the first two fight turns, sort of bad luck :)

8, great
This applies to all the scenarios - while I was playing the very first time (noob) I didn't realized well what gives the most fun/pleasure in a scenario. It's only now I can see the depth of even small clashes, if you take into account as much as possible, including "risk management", leveling up, planning the future of your units.

great as is
Attachments
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
Last edited by podbelski on September 22nd, 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?Hardest available, 1.9.8, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 2.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Crystal clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? I liked it. (see #6)
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Leveling my loyal peasant, distributing EXP properly.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8. This is really solid for a first scenario in a novice campaign. It's not exactly hard but it gives you an objective work towards (leveling peasant), has easter eggs to find and gives you an intriguing question to make you want to go to the next map (what happened to Sir Loris?) By the way, the new portraits for Deoran and Gerrick in 1.9 are superb.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Fine as is.
(8) Any restarts? 1. I put Deoran in shallow water to get him a kill and two poachers hit almost every shot. Calculated risk, since it was early in the map.
Attachments
Hardest available, 1.9.8, no save load
(12.79 KiB) Downloaded 751 times
Kinak

Post by Kinak »

1.9.6 Soldier (Medium)

3. Good intro scenario, but not so easy that you can just steamroll it.

1 Loss, 9 Kills

Hard to beat "Kill the enemy leader."

Not too bad. Made it clear why I'm hear and what's been going on. The allies in the houses were a nice touch, both for introducing a few extra units and to provide a bit of narrative.

Resisting the urge to charge in at night. That might be worth a suggestion from Sir Gerrick. It's a good time to point out using terrain and time to your advantage.

7. Pretty straightforward, but the allies in the villages are, as I said, a nice touch.

Seems pretty solid. It would be kind of nice to have something more to do with the merfolk after the first clash at the river. Maybe a lake/swamp in the southeast with some more villages?
Kaiserdrache

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Game Version: 1.8.5, Difficulty: Easy

Pretty easy.

Very clear.

Once again, very clear and quite interesting.

Earning some principle understanding of the game, even after finishing the introduction.

Fun factor: 8

None.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

After a while (about a year) I returned to Wesnoth and to flex my strategic muscles I decided to retry South Guard.

Highest Difficulty, 1.8.6

2, maybe 3. It is quite easy but You can actually lose some units when not paying attention

Very clear. Get weapons, kill the enemy

Very clear! The story is a refreshing little twist compared to other Campaigns (where the first mission usually is: "we are getting attacked, let's flee" or "we are getting attacked, kill the enemy") with the objective to find the weapons first and actually being the aggressor

Actually... resisting the urge to stay in the castle to recruit some units since i knew that i get better units after visiting the castle at the river
Second: keep Moreth (the lone peasant who "greets" you at the beginning) alive. Loyal units are valuable
Third: Not really a challenge, more a surprise... the last time i played the campaign i played on a easier setting and knew that a friendly unit would pop out when occupying the village south of the ford. I was quite surprised that it was an enemy this time

8. Quite fun for a first scenario

Hm... If something could be changed it would be imho the Seafolk village. Where it is now it is imo quite useless. by the time You raced to the river, spoke to Gerrick, returned to the castle, recruited some units, sent an unit to the village and sent the Mermen to the ford the fight at the ford is over (at least if You not know that there are mermen and you are sending the peasant straight to the village). Maybe moving the village to 24,8 (where is another village at the riverbank) and making the surroundings there swampy could be an option.
Otherwise... where it is now not a lot of people find it (in my first playthrough years ago i didn't even realize there was a village and never found the mermen)
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

2. Let them come and push during the day.

Very clear.

It's alright, just introducing the characters.

Try to level up the loyal peasant.

5. Nothing special or epic here, just kill some bandits.

Hard to say because it's a 1st simple scenario so you don't really have anything to change here.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's ok.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2

Difficult:3

Objectives 100% clear

The storyline is good, the player gets to see the remnants of the former south guard.

My challenge was figuring out what to do with the mermen, there was never really any sea fights.

Fun: 7

No changes
Fate is against me.
Crom

South Guard 1. Born to the Banner

Post by Crom »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.2; Hard.

3. As a veteran player, it was quite easy, but it still didn't allow for careless moves.

Clear.

The storyline was just fine.

I found the mermen too late for them to be of any use in this scenario. The other challenge, as has been previously stated, was leveling up the loyal peasant without getting him killed. Also, making sure Deoran gets XP now so we can use his Leadership/impact weapon in the later scenarios.

7. Nothing outstanding, but no complaints. I enjoy using realistic tactics, so forcing the enemies to wade across the river and fighting them back was pretty fun.

It's a good start to the campaign, and a good introduction to playing the game.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

easy, 1.10.5

Everything alright.

Nothing special.

It is good as it is.
Kaiserdrache

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Normal, 1.10.

Crystal clear.

Good dialogues and storyline, no problems here.

None.

6 - quite a introduction.

Ah, and here we have the reason why I send in another review of the campaign. South Guard offers quite a lot of loyal units, but I'm convinced that their choice could be somewhat better. In this scenario you get (on normal diff.) Sir Gerrick who is fine, a peasant (also fine) and a level 2 merman warrior and a level 1 merman hunter. That's quite simply overkill. Cut the level 2 merman and instead give something else later on (see other reviews for that campaign).
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5 and 1.10.5 (mainly easy).

If you've got even a bit of experience it's a 1, but if you're a newbie it's about a 3.

Totally clear given the fact that everything is meticulously explained (well, apart from the Mermen).

Very interesting indeed. Deoran is sent south because the South Guard has stopped reporting and what do we find? We find bandits in the forest and everybody else hiding. We have an interesting mix of supporting units - a rather pickled Sir Gerrick, Moreth the level2 Pikeman with a long pointy thing that bandits don't like much, and eventually Moreth who's been hiding in a village.

Initially working out what to do with that chap with the long pointy thing. This was my first campaign. I didn't discover the Mermen until quite a few times of playing the scenario. The explanation was good at introducing me to the concept of Mermen but left me wondering how or why I would need them.

The first few times is interesting but after that, not much. However it's a pretty solid scenario if you want to capture villages and raise gold.

I think to be honest it'd be better to have one useful supporting unit such as a Gryphon Master rather than two barely useful ones. The Merman Warrior is useful to anyone with any experience but the newbie is probably still trying to figure out the basics of playing a scenario. The Merman Hunter would be useful if levelled up to a Netcaster and placed in water preferably by the Choice in the Fog scenario but I very much doubt any newbie would manage such an achievement.