South Guard 1. Born to the Banner

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kruel

Re: South Guard 1. Born to the Banner

Post by Kruel »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Soldier (Normal) 1.11.8

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Fairly clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The intro to the campaign, storyline and dialog are all quite interesting. I think a bit more detail about how Sir Loris met his end could improve the storyline a bit.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I didn't really have any, but I'd say the biggest challenge is deciding whether to push forward regardless of time of day and terrain or to hold the River Fort and river crossing and force the enemy to hit you there.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7: I'd say the first two thirds of the scenario and storyline is quite well done, I'd give it an 8. However, after you defeat the initial forces sent against you, it's a bit anti-climactic going after the leader. He's just not able to put up much fight against you at this point. Not enough happens in the last third of the scenario, and I'd rate this part a 2.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Basicall, I'd make the defeat of the end portion where you go after Urza Mathin a bit more interesting, after defeating his minions. My suggestion would be to place him closer to the river crossing, maybe even get him a bit involved in the fight there if it could be done. Alternatively, increase his income and place his base closer to the crossing to keep the tempo/pressure a bit higher throughout the scenario.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? Hard; 1.10.7
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very clear, although it was not clear wheter Deoran or any other unit has to move to the River Fort
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Great for beginners, not interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Levelling the loyal peasent, not get overwhelmed
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? -
kiss

Post by kiss »

Overview
40 turns, 2 lvl 2 (+1?) against 1 lvl 2, only peasant to recruit.
The river looks like a natural border to defend. 5 villages north against 6 south (what about the water one?)
Only a central path between swamps and montains.
One more recruitment slot, gold for 3 turn's recruitment and 5 villages quite near
Strategy: reach the fort, take villages.

Turn 1: Peasant vs thug = something like 3/1?

Turn 2: Bam! Deoran is 2 hex north from the fort, but Moreth does the job! From there Deoran can reach southest enemy village.
Sir Gerrick arrival changes recruitment?
Strategy: go on with northern villages, opportunity to take the 3 enemy villages (southest with Deoran, the others with Sir Gerrick).
Ho my! one more change, a bowman now! (and he can take the eastern village).
Now it's 4 lvl 2 against 1, and enemies can't be near before 4-5 turns.
Strategy: send Moreth to take the swamp and water village, take the eastern village with Aleron

Turn 3: Status table: 107 vs 2 gold, 5 vs 1 /13 villages
Strategy: with such advantage, the villages seems not that important, wait in the villages with Sir Gerrick, Moreth and Aleron and recruit with Deoran (4 bowmen).

Turn 4: A peasant take water village and ... surprise!
6 lvl 2 against 1: I'm waiting a surprise from enemy side now!
Strategy: move mermaid to 12,11 and 9,17 and wait.

Turn 5: 2 thugs can hurt at night, I take the risk and wait.

Turn 6: Damned bad calculation, the 3 thugs can fight!
Strategy: save the mermaid, try to kill 1 thug, go on with bowmen's deployement.

Turn 7: Thugs do not attack at night time? Strange!
Strategy: level up a bowman, rush to kill Urza Mathin.

Turn 8, 9: Wrong order with bowmen?

Turn 10: Night again! I do not take enough care about the night and day cycle, but this lets me time to bring bowman nearer ... not that bad in fact.

Turn 11, 12, 13: Done

Civilian (beginner) 1.10.7

1st turn: completing one of two and it's a win?
2nd turn: ok, objectives are cumulative!
Reaching the fort with Moreth pulls out Sir Gerrick? In the storyline it was said Deoran should reach it!

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Campaign: nice introduction and beautifull drawing.
Where is the other guy? In the fort?
Beside that it's interesting. Leading to a great battle with such a strong army?

None, but the cumulative stated above. I have to take into account.
I do not take enough attention to the small path in the forest near the montains. No hurt, but annoying.

The start is fun with all these changes: 8

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A surprise from ennemy side? The way I've done it, I have the feeling I take a large advantage early, but i'm not sure it is the same for everyone.
Something turn based, with a delay? An enemy hears: "A few hours and we'll be outside". Some ennemies popped up on the map 3 turns later.
Attachments
TSG-Born_to_the_Banner_replay.gz
(12.88 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kiss wrote:A surprise from ennemy side? The way I've done it, I have the feeling I take a large advantage early, but i'm not sure it is the same for everyone.
Something turn based, with a delay? An enemy hears: "A few hours and we'll be outside". Some ennemies popped up on the map 3 turns later.
As you noted, it should not be a tomato surprise, but an event that requires a bit more tactical maneuvering might not be out of place, though only for a harder setting. I would point out that you are playing on the easiest setting, and it's designed to be as simple as possible for beginners. If you had similar feedback for the Normal level, then it might be worth a look.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Soldier (aka the highest difficulty) 1.10.7

I found them clear. There is one point I could see being potentially confusing though. You start off being only able to recruit peasants, only to gain the ability just a turn or two later to recruit normal level 1 troops. I had played this campaign a few years earlier before taking a long break from the game, and I remembered just enough to know to hold off recruiting, but I can see the possibility of a player wasting a good chunk of gold on peasants not knowing this.

The plot at the start is rather generic, but it's fairly well written.

There were very few. The bandit leader starts with barely more gold then you do, the village distribution is in your favor, and there is a convenient river to form a wall of defense behind and annihilate the first wave of bandits.

6. A little too straight forward of a scenario to particularly stand out, but a reasonable starting scenario.

I feel like the scenario is a bit too easy given that I'm playing on highest difficulty level, but to be fair by this point I had already finished all the other novice level campaigns, with A Tale of Two Brothers and An Orcish Incursion being played on the highest difficulty settings so it can certainly be argued that my skill at the game had simply advanced past the point where I should be expecting a large amount of challenge from a novice level campaign.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Played 1 time before as Civilian (Beginner) 1.10.7 and finished without save/reload/restart.
First play as Civilian (Beginner) 1.11.16.

Starting stack:
1 level 2: 1 Horseman Commander.
Gold (carried over) : 120(0).
Overall stat: 0/0.
Units list: .

Comments.
I've followed what I was told, the fort, retreat, time to fight ...
Perhaps I should wait 1 or 2 turn at the end to be safer?
Recruit only 3 Bowman and Spearman?

I've reloaded many times the first fight around the fort. I've wanted to know how many different outcomes will arise, but it was nearly always the same!
I conclude, that was already my thought anyway, that reload is useless. Each time you get a good or bad result, you can reload as many time you want you'll always get the same result. If something is bad, it may come from previous turns.

Results.
Found/recruit: 1 Pikeman (loyal), 1 Infantry Lieutenant (loyal), 1 Longbowman (loyal), 4 Bowman, 4 Spearman, 1 Merman Spearman (loyal), 1 Merman Warrior (loyal).
Loss 0/0: .
Total: .
Advancement 0/0: .
Total: .
End turn: 12/40.
Gold carried over: 232.
Experience: 8/8 kill.
Overall stat: +6%/+10%
Units list: 4 Bowman, 1 Horseman Commander, 1 Infantry Lieutenant (loyal), 1 Longbowman (loyal), 1 Merman Spearman (loyal), 1 Merman Warrior (loyal), 1 Pikeman (loyal), 4 Spearman.

Conclusion.
As played, a perfect scenario to play right after the tutorial.
Attachments
TSG-Born_to_the_Banner_replay.gz
(18.89 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) v1.12.5 Hard
(2) 1. I think it's too easy. I can pass this scenario without thinking at all.
(3) 9. Very clear. The only problem is, you should know that you shouldn't recurit before Deoran reaches the River Fort. Recuriting peasants is useless. I think the author of the game should notice the players not to recurit in the first turn.
(4) 8. The dialogue tells us the beginning of the game clearly and briefly. Good!
(5) The major challenge is trying not to lose any unit.
(6) 3. I think it's just so-so because it's just a usual 1v1 combat with no challenge or special point.
(7) First, to make the game harder. For e.g., to give less money or set a number limit of spearmen and bowmen. Second, there should be more water areas on the map because otherwise the two mermen will be useless.
Attachments
TSG-Born_to_the_Banner_replay.bz2
(15.72 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Version 1.12.6, Challenging, first time I played a campaign on highest difficulty.

4, I had some trouble in the beginning with essentials dying due to stupid positioning, but overall pretty easy.

8, very straightforward.

4. Very basic, nothing too bad.

Protecting essentials and figuring out the right point to meet the enemy's push.

5. Decent for a starter scenario on a beginner's campaign, but not one that keeps you coming back for more.

Any ideas I have to make the scenario more fun would kind of defeat its purpose.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Version 1.14.0, Soldier (Normal)

3, Only one small wave that breaks easy enough at the river.

I can't overstate how clear it was. Like a day when you can see the horizon without obstructions.

10 and 4

Not crossing the river before I've dealt with the enemies. (So yeah, no major challenge)

4, because it is too easy for me. But it's good for learning how to break a wave.

-
TSG-Born to the Banner replay.gz
(15.4 KiB) Downloaded 644 times

EDIT:
Updating because of the new TSG.
Mind you, it's probably not exactly the same as the TSG online because the replay is from the playtesting phase.
Attachments
TSGr-Born to the Banner replay.gz
(15.48 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Last edited by Konrad2 on March 1st, 2019, 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Simple, summon your important campaign ally and get rid of the bandit

- Interesting beginning, and even more to think how Deoran is related to Haldiel (Heir to the Throne) and the fact he goes to his very first mission. At least no orcs for start

- Making sure that I'd manage to put chaotic units into water, if that's easy.

- Maybe that there should be no need to recruit peasants because they seem pointless afterwards.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

1.14.7 on Soldier (Normal)
4. The terrain at the River Fort favours the player a lot, as the bandits will move into the 20% defence tiles of the river to attack you. This lets you weather the night, and then push across during the day. The footpad spawn in the first village across the river is a bit of a tomato surprise, and can catch the player out if they move a wounded unit there to heal. The mermen village I didn't take until I'd already pushed past the river, and the mermen weren't much use in this scenario.
Very clear. Go to the River Fort, then kill the enemy leader.
Very clear and well-written, and fairly interesting. It would have been good to have seen more of a mentor-mentee approach between Sir Gerrick and Deoran, but it's fine as is.
Just what I mentioned before - the surprise with the footpad in the village, and with not finding the mermen until too late.
7. It's pretty basic, but enjoyable. The river sets the player up for a nice defence, before the morning comes and you can push forward. The village spawns are nice, but come a bit too much out of the blue.
I'd add some dialogue that hints at the village spawns, perhaps written in a way that presents Sir Gerrick as a mentor to Deoran.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Soldier (Normal)

2, don't fight at night and you are good.

Clear.

I like it.

To not fight at night.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TSG-Born to the Banner replay 20201104-164318.gz
(15.52 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Sandsculpture

Post by Sandsculpture »

1.14.15, Normal.

6, the first night is tough and the time is very tight, for my lv1 force.

Clear, just kill the enemy leader

Clear

Time

5. Time is so tight.

No.
16 turns are barely enough for me. :-D
Attachments
TSG-为旗而生 游戏录像.gz
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Version 1.14.16, Soldier (Normal) difficulty

Pretty clear

8/10
I liked the dialogue and the storyline seems interesting.

-

-
peacekeeperxx

Post by peacekeeperxx »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? Easy 1.16.0
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Great for beginners, not interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Levelling the loyal peasent, not get overwhelmed
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5
TSG-Born to the Banner replay 20211028-203316.gz
(14.9 KiB) Downloaded 72 times