Scenario 2: Assassins

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 2: Assassins

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Lomex

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 2 - Assassins

Post by Lomex »

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I really like the idea of an "advanced tutorial", with these hints in every mission.
However, in this scenario the hint is about assassins and their poison, so I expect at least a few Poison-Units (besides the enemy leader) but the enemy recruited in this map 15grunts and 1 wolf-rider (no poison unit at all)

This is a bit strange, I think.

Also, the enemy-leader says in the beginning something like "Some victims for our wolf-riders" (I dont remember the exact phrase) but than he recuits only one wolf-rider and a lot of grunts...
vicza

Post by vicza »

Lomex wrote:However, in this scenario the hint is about assassins and their poison, so I expect at least a few Poison-Units (besides the enemy leader) but the enemy recruited in this map 15grunts and 1 wolf-rider (no poison unit at all)
BTW, I wanted to ask: why Orcish Assassin has "usage=fighter"? Fighter with only 1 melee attack? I think, he should be mixed figher (if not archer). Then the problem described above could be easily solved by "recruitment_pattern".
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Lomex wrote:
I really like the idea of an "advanced tutorial", with these hints in every mission.
However, in this scenario the hint is about assassins and their poison, so I expect at least a few Poison-Units (besides the enemy leader) but the enemy recruited in this map 15grunts and 1 wolf-rider (no poison unit at all)

This is a bit strange, I think.

Also, the enemy-leader says in the beginning something like "Some victims for our wolf-riders" (I dont remember the exact phrase) but than he recuits only one wolf-rider and a lot of grunts...
I concur...I thought that was very strange.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
vicza

Post by vicza »

BTW, I've found a small problem in this scenario. In this list:

Code: Select all

[role]
            type="Elvish Champion,Elvish Marshal,Elvish Captain,Elvish Hero,Elvish Outrider,Elvish Rider,Elvish Avenger,Elvish Ranger,Elvish Sharpshooter,Elvish Marksman,Elvish Shyde,Elvish Druid,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Archer,Elvish Shaman,Elvish Scout"
            role="Advisor"
            [filter]
            [/filter]
        [/role]
Elvish Sorceress is missing (I just tried to play the first scenario on hard recruiting Shamans only, and the Sorceress was the only unit who survived).

BTW, don't you plan in next versions of BfW add "race" as a key of [role]? It would be much easier to write
[role]
race="elf"

instead of all this list.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Aside from the above comments, theres not much to it. So pretty fail, xD.
The damn UNENDING GRUNTS AT NIGHT -_-. Haha, I had to restart many a time as they just tore through my defense. I learned a bit about retreating, in previous runthroughs I've tried to just hold the island through thick and thin, but I had much better outcomes when I didn't just hold the river and fell back a bit.
Make them use assassins <.<. Give them ONLY the assassin to recruit, and just manually spawn the grunts/riders.
Also, add in an extra village or 2? Its very difficult to attain more than the minimum and the next scenario is a bugger, the chance at 1 extra recall would be great :D.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
<.<
vicza

Post by vicza »

Jozrael wrote:Make them use assassins <.<. Give them ONLY the assassin to recruit, and just manually spawn the grunts/riders.
As i've mentioned already, it can be done in another way. Try this, if you want. Just unpack files from the archive in place of respective file in 'data\campaigns\An_Orcish_Incursion\'. He will recruit assassins along with grunts. :)
Attachments
AOI.zip
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 1042 times
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Did you play this scenario before it was switched to grunts? It was 100% assassins, so like...15 of them. Mildly scary, haha. I find it more difficult with all grunts, however, the point is to have a flood of assassins. Even with that change I doubt the AI would recruit more than an assassin or two. I'd personally prefer fighting 8 assassins, 6 grunts, and 2 riders, for example, then just the ai replacing a grunt or 3 with an assassin or 2.
vicza

Post by vicza »

Jozrael wrote:Did you play this scenario before it was switched to grunts?
I didn't. But I can imagine, I have my own campaign, when in one scenario the enemy recruits only assassins (and wolfriders). :wink:
Even with that change I doubt the AI would recruit more than an assassin or two. I'd personally prefer fighting 8 assassins, 6 grunts, and 2 riders, for example
You doubt? Try, then. Or look at the picture, at least, all orcs recruited are there. 8 assassins, 7 grunts, 1 wolfrider, almost as you wish, only one spare grunt instead of rider. :wink:
Attachments
orcs2.png
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

:shock:

I stand corrected ^^
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

High Lord (Challenging) 1.5.6

2. Poison is a minor annoyance, but that is about it. Set up my elves so the orcs were mainly attacking from the river, and proceeded to let the slaughter begin.

Crystal.

Clear and good, as well done as the first one.

None.

8. Love the map, like the variety of units, even if not too much of a challenge.

Like it as it is.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good as is.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
BestOpenSourceApps

Post by BestOpenSourceApps »

*normal

*clear

*Straight forward

*Not dying! Seems like I was very short on gold and seriously outnumbered.

*NA

*I had to restart 3 or 4 times. Kept getting my butt handed to me. I'm fairly new the game, but thought I knew what I was doing. Eventually I came up with a sound strategy.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
*NA
Daedal

Post by Daedal »

Medium (V 1.6a)
Clear
The storyline is nice, the dialog seems to rehash the first scenario.
Picking a good spot to make a stand, especially at night.
The boss never left his keep, which was a bit disappointing. I only saw 2-3 poison-wielding orcs. It's probably good enough for the medium level of difficulty, but 1-2 more would have made it a lot more interesting.
No. With only 1-2 of my units being poisoned at any one time it was easy keeping health in check.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hardest; 1.6.0

6- 240 gold is quite a bit when he is only recruiting level 1s. I had to restart twice, I believe (but this early, what is two reloads?)

Clear

Very good. It seems very appropriate for the setting. Excellent work. I can't say offhand if I've ever liked the dialogue style better in any campaign I've ever played (though I don't always pay attention).

Fighting so many enemies at once.

10- This is the kind of battle I like. Mostly level 1 units on my side; some strength in numbers on his. This is the best stage of practically any campaign, and this one does a good job (plus, the elves are just so much more fun to play than most other factions)

None that I can think of.

Nope.

Not much complex stuff going on in the code. No complaints on documentation.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

High Lord (1.6.2)

3. Another leveling opportunity.

Clear.

I think the Orcs should claim the land as their own rather than just proclaiming their urgent need for pet food. :wink:

None.

I don't have any good ideas here.

No.

The WML auto-recalls an adviser to have a conversation with Erlornas. In the (admittedly unlikely) event that Erlornas is the sole survivor of the previous scenario, isn't this conversation is going to be a problem? (I have seen scenarios in other campaigns that auto-recruit a fresh unit if there's no suitable unit available to auto-recall.)
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.