Invisible units in Saving Elensfar & Arendia?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Invisible units in Saving Elensfar & Arendia?

Post by irrevenant »

I've dlded the Arendia & Saving Elensfar (SE) campaigns and the Level 0 unit in Arendia and the hero unit in SE are invisible.

I assume, for whatever reason, the art assets haven't been installed properly.

(a) How do I fix it?; and
(b) shouldn't it notice when you install a campaign if required art is missing?

Thanx.
scott

Post by scott »

Did you try quitting the game and restarting? That used to be the fix for getting custom art to work.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Apparently the problem (with Arendia at least) is that it assumes you've already dlded the Lvl3 Bandit pack.

IMO we shouldn't be requiring dependencies between campaigns. Is it possible to include the artwork in both or will that cause some sort of conflict?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

That's a mistake that the creator of Invasion of Arendia made. I didn't do that in Saving Elensefar, though... can you see the units in SE?

Anyway, in response to your second point... I don't think it is worth the coding effort to have the games recognize when art is missing from campaigns. A better idea is just having all of the campaigns include the proper art. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:That's a mistake that the creator of Invasion of Arendia made. I didn't do that in Saving Elensefar, though... can you see the units in SE?
Not the special hero units. Meneldur & Madru are invisible (see attached screenshot).

I just installed it the standard way from the campaign server. I seem to have the portrait art, but not the unit art.

I have this problem under both Debian Linux (Wesnoth 1.0.1) and Windows (Wesnoth 1.0.2).
turin wrote:Anyway, in response to your second point... I don't think it is worth the coding effort to have the games recognize when art is missing from campaigns. A better idea is just having all of the campaigns include the proper art. ;)
I thought there might be a problem with duplicated graphics clashing. If there is no such problem, I agree that any non-standard graphics should be included with every campaign that uses them.
Attachments
Screenshot_00009.jpg
Screenshot_00009.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Noyga wrote:Did you restart wesnoth before playing the campaign ?
Sometimes, this helps
I played it immediately, but have restarted since.

Incidentally, the lack of the lvl 3 Bandit pack wasn't the problem. I have it now and am still having the difficulty.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Did you restart wesnoth before playing the campaign ?
Sometimes, this helps
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? I have no idea what the problem is. They show up for me, even when the only UMC I have installed is Saving Elensefar.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
ponkan

Post by ponkan »

I've run into this problem under saving elensefar on bfw 1.01. Aparently, the game is looking for the artwork in the wrong directory. Default [unit].cfg file assumes that the game knows to look for the art in images/units, but it doesn't. I fixed this by adding a ../images/units/ to every image location in the .cfg's, works like a charm now. Running wesnoth from the xterm really helped to figure the problem out when it kept on saying file not found :wink:
There is no good, nor evil. Things are; that is all.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK. I know what the problem was. I had set up SE to use the new, 1.1+ directory structure, with all unit images in images/units/. However, when you use 1.0+, it doesn't recognize those images unless you say units/{imagename}. I hadn't detected the problem because I test using 1.1+svn.

I've uploaded a fixed version. Enjoy!
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Now Madru is visible, but Meneldur is still invisible.

I noticed when selecting difficulty level that the icons against medium & hard were visible, but not against easy. So I'm guessing he'll at least be visble when he levels up. :)

*EDIT* Never mind, it seems to be working now. Thanx Turin.