Replay: Bug or ?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Shadowdweller

Replay: Bug or ?

Post by Shadowdweller »

I've got a save-game at the end of a hot-seat match against myself in 1.0 that I just CAN'T get to work as a replay.

I've tried clicking the Show Replay button, but it just goes through the ending credits. I've tried finishing and saving as a replay from the "Save as Replay?" prompt. But whatever I save it as STILL only shows the ending credits. And when I don't click Show Replay, it just loads the game at the time of the last move before the end. :x

How do I get this to work?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

You should check first, if the replay information is in the file or not. To do that save the file in ASCII text format (there is an option in the preferences to do so) and open it with a normal text editor.

In the beginning there should be a whole lot of replay-commands, starting with a "replay"-tag. If so, there needs to be done further investigation. Maybe you switched versions lately? If not, well then there is no replay information to be shown, for what reason ever.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

Done

The information DOES appear to be there, yet I'm still getting the same result when I try to load the file in Wesnoth (as replay or not).
If it matters, this particular version was taken from an auto-save after the ending turn.

I DID change versions to 1.0 (proper) when it came out. But this game was played exclusively after the switch, so...

Also (if it matters) I'm using the Windows version.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

ok, maybe you can send me the file via email and i have a look at it. I am working on an enhanced replay at the moment and i should be able to do some debugging. It's worth a try.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

Difficult to do without an e-mail address. :wink:

And PM doesn't seem to be working, so I thought I might as well just post it here. Hope some sense can be made of this:
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Ooops, sorry, the email address is in the profile but not publicly shown. :oops:

I am going to fix that.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Ok, i looked at the savefile. There is a range starting with "<replay_start>" where the starting information for the replay is found. In your file that range is empty. It contains some information about sides, era etc.

I am not sure why this happened. Maybe you stumbled upon a bug, having to do with hotseat games.

I will try to restore the needed information. I will keep you updated.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

So, i tried to restore the missing information and managed the replay to work again :D .

Then, on turn 18, it suddenly stopped with an error message :? .

I am pretty much sure that it is the starting gold since that information is not in the file. I tried 100 (which was apparently wrong), then 200, which took me to turn 18. You remember, how many it actually was?

Edit:
By the way, this is a very interesting game of yours. Maybe you should post that in Doc Patersons 1vs1 thread :wink: .
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

I am pretty much sure that it is the starting gold since that information is not in the file. I tried 100 (which was apparently wrong), then 200, which took me to turn 18. You remember, how many it actually was?
Eeep. Should have been 100g (and 70%xp), default settings on multiplayer. The game lasted about 28 turns.
By the way, this is a very interesting game of yours. Maybe you should post that in Doc Patersons 1vs1 thread
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I wasn't playing the Knalgans to the best of my ability, however (secretly rooting for the Undead). Which is why I was really hoping to be able to analyze it :(
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

All right, it was the gold per village, it had to be 2 instead of 1. So here you go. And before you judge yourself playing the dwarves bad have a look at the statistics :wink: .
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

If there is a reproducable bug in hotseat saves then a bug report should be filed here:
https://gna.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=wesnoth
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

Thanks for the help, Yogi Bear.

I can't get that file to work, however. When I try to load it (that is, IN WESNOTH) I get "Missing closing tag for tag random at <unkown>:2101 at <unknown>:2109"
And before you judge yourself playing the dwarves bad have a look at the statistics
By way of explanation, I'm trying to develop a good Undead strategy against Knalgans. If I don't play the Knalgans to their full strength, I can't really tell if the strategy works. In this particular case, it took me a while to figure out a good means of destroying the wraiths. I should have used a few more ranged attackers, rather than just Fighters and Ulfs. The Knalgans also suffered from a lack of scouts in the later game.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

very strange, the file works perfectly for me, i watched the whole replay.

Edit: Are you using Wesnoth 1.0 or Wesnoth 1.0rc1? And what is your windows version?
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

Version 1.0, Windows '98se
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

ok, i have a vague idea what might be the problem. Let's give it a last try.