Wesnoth fails to start if userdata/data exists

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
khamul

Wesnoth fails to start if userdata/data exists

Post by khamul »

Clean install of Wesnoth, start up, connect to the campaign server, download any campaign (I've tried Liberty, Halloween, and Burning Suns, which used to work on Wesnoth 0.8.11), close Wesnoth and restart, and get a message telling you Wesnoth generated errors and will be closed. Rename the directory "userdata\data" (created by the scenario download) to "userdata\data_", and Wesnoth starts fine.

I'm running Wesnoth 0.9.1b, on Windows 2000.

Is this a known issue?
Is there a known workaround?
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Yes, it is known. All campaigns with translations don't work. I believe it's Libery causing the problem.
Workaround: remove translations from files. Not something I'd want to do...
scott

Post by scott »

Do you have any detailed error information? The current version of Liberty (1.11) should be compatible with 0.9.1, and a new version should be out soon. Any campaign that has #textdomain lines should be alright, but those with the older textdomain=xxx would cause problems (if I remember correctly).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
claus

Post by claus »

I have more or less the same problem with 0.9.1b windows (some campaigns work fine some cause wesnoth to crash when starting). Testing it with "Liberty" Wesnoth crashed when starting
(The german Message: WESNOTH verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite in Modul LIBINTL-2.DLL bei 017f:67c81551.
My translation: WESNOTH caused an error because of an invalid page(side?) in LIBINTL-2.DLL at 017f:67c81551.).

The file stderr.txt afterwards contains the following text:

Battle for Wesnoth v0.9.1
Started on Mon Jun 06 07:42:31 2005

started game: 3
setlocale
setlocale 2
getdir
bindtextdomain to 'F:/Spiele/Wesnoth/po'
bindtextdomain_codeset
bindtextdomain
bindtextdomain_codeset
domain
done
a
no valid cache found. Writing cache to 'F:/Spiele/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v0.9.1-MEDIUM-NORMAL'
closing audio...
final closing audio...
done closing audio...

Deleting "Liberty" (only "Merry Man" installed) Wesnoth starts fine and creates the following stderr.txt (Quiting Wesnoth right after starting it):

Battle for Wesnoth v0.9.1
Started on Mon Jun 06 07:47:46 2005

started game: 3
setlocale
setlocale 2
getdir
bindtextdomain to 'F:/Spiele/Wesnoth/po'
bindtextdomain_codeset
bindtextdomain
bindtextdomain_codeset
domain
done
a
no valid cache found. Writing cache to 'F:/Spiele/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v0.9.1-MEDIUM-NORMAL'
aa
Checking video mode: 1024x768x16...
setting mode to 1024x768x16
b
WARNING: setlocale() failed for C.
WARNING: setlocale() failed for C.
c
d
started music
showing title screen...
Loading tips of day
title screen returned result
quitting game...
closing audio...

It might be a problem with the windows version of Wesnoth (or with my PC), because my brother plays Wesnoth under Linux and as far as i know he has no problems.
Piter

Post by Piter »

Hi, I had this problem to. When I downloaded some campaigns I started one of them (without closing program) without problem, but when I tried to run Wesnoth another day it started only after deleting usermade campaigns. I reinstaled Wesnoth (0.9.1b win 32 version on win 98se) and copied campaingns to data\campaigns but program didn't started again. It started when I deleted campaigns (but not Elf War).
scott

Post by scott »

Weird. Keep us updated to see if this happens with 0.9.2 (just released). As far as I can tell the WML code is written properly, but maybe not. It might be an actual bug.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This problem should be fixed in the just-released 0.9.2.

Please let me know if it's not.

There is still a related problem though that certain campaigns may not allow Wesnoth to start, but it won't actually crash (i.e. generate an illegal instruction). That's still being worked on.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

Post by Guest »

Still there, the problem. 0.9.2. and won't start with some Custom Campaigns I tried (Flight to Freedom and Gryphons Tale) :(
claus

Post by claus »

Gryphons Tale might be incompatible with Wesnoth 0.9.2 (the last update is pretty old)

With version 0.9.2(windows) i had no problem starting Wesnoth with Liberty installed. (I did not test all usercampaigns). But now after downloading a usercampaign Wesnoth crashes (I do not get the download finished message and have to kill Wesnoth manualy, the campaigns are installed afterwards, tested it with Liberty, Under the Burning Suns, A Seed of Evil and Mages Tale).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

For me with 0.9.2, campaigns download okay, however if the campaign has an error in it, Wesnoth will print the error, and exit. Then you can't start Wesnoth because it always exits on the campaign with the error. This happens with 'A Seed of Evil', for instance, which has some errors in it.

However, the problem related to gettext is gone as far as I can see.

Anyhow, I have a plan to fix the problem with bad campaigns making Wesnoth unstartable.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
claus

Post by claus »

It works fine now. (The time between downloaded 100% and the download finished message was a bit longer than i expected, so i used strg+alt+entf (shows all active tasks, wesnoth still active, press cancel, some time later still no download finished message so look again, wesnoth does not react) to look if wesnoth still runs and it looks like this caused the crash)
By the way i downloaded A Seed of Evil to search for the bug (#ifdef is twice closed with #enddef instead of #endif)
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

You should PM Disto or post this in the thread about A Seed of Evil.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Post by Guest »

ott wrote:You should PM Disto or post this in the thread about A Seed of Evil.
Already done