GameSave Manager

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Xello99

GameSave Manager

Post by Xello99 »

Hello guys,

I've been a casual player off this game for years (probably over a decade by now) and I still really love it.

Recently I started to back up the Saves of my Games with GameSave Manager, and I noticed that the programm gets stuck on Wesnoth for a considerable amount off time. It takes at least 10 Minutes to process BfW saves, while it takes not even a minute for all the 300+ other games I have installed. After it's finished loading everything works fine though.

Now of course, I can ignore Battle for Wesnoth within the GameSave Manager settings, which removes the long loading time entirely. But ideally, I'd like for BfW saves to get a backup as well.

So, has anyone experience with using this program to back up Wesnoths saves? And if so, has anyone found a solution to this?

In case it matters: I'm on Windows 10 Home 19042.746, playing Wesnoth 1.14.15.0 through Steam.

I'm not sure wether I should ask here, or over at the GameSave Manager programms forums, so if I'm wrong here and you can't help me just tell me, and I will ask over there :)

Also just for reference in case there are multiple Programms with a similar name, this is the one I'm using: https://www.gamesave-manager.com/
gnombat

Re: GameSave Manager

Post by gnombat »

Do you know if it is just backing up the save files only? Or is it backing up all your Wesnoth user data - including add-ons? With add-ons included, the total disk space used can get very large (possibly several gigabytes).

The Wesnoth user data folder is usually "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14" on Windows. You can check the total disk space in the Windows File Explorer - right click on the "Wesnoth1.14" folder, click "Properties" and it will display the total size.

Also, you might want to check for folders from old versions of Wesnoth (e.g., "Wesnoth1.12") - those might be getting backed up too.
Xello99

Post by Xello99 »

gnombat wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:26 pm Do you know if it is just backing up the save files only? Or is it backing up all your Wesnoth user data - including add-ons? With add-ons included, the total disk space used can get very large (possibly several gigabytes).

The Wesnoth user data folder is usually "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14" on Windows. You can check the total disk space in the Windows File Explorer - right click on the "Wesnoth1.14" folder, click "Properties" and it will display the total size.

Also, you might want to check for folders from old versions of Wesnoth (e.g., "Wesnoth1.12") - those might be getting backed up too.
Ok, so it's not just backing up saves. I noticed that it goes through all the addons and ressources for example. But whats interesting is, that the addons are scanned really fast. What takes long, and where the programm gets stuck for a while, is my saves folder. So "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\saves". In there is a grand total of 15 saves, with a whopping 750KB of Data.

This is what it says when it gets stuck. Image

Is it possible that the save_index lists old saves I thought I deleted, or maybe saves I deleted manually and not within Wesnoth? If so, maybe thats whats gets the programm stuck.

There aren't any older version installed btw, and there are no old Wesnoth folders in my documents folder.
Xello99

Post by Xello99 »

Ok, for anyone having a similar issue, in GameSave Managers settings under custom Gamesave entiries you can customize which files of the game should be saved. I have set it to only back up the "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\saves" folder, and now it works fine. Not sure why that save_index file was an issue.