Heir to the Throne 17-Scepter of Fire question

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Some_Scribe

Heir to the Throne 17-Scepter of Fire question

Post by Some_Scribe »

Quick question: I'm playing the iPad version of Wesnoth, and I'm currently on Heir to the Throne scenario #17 - The Scepter of Fire (Medium Difficulty), and there's something I can't figure out that doesn't seem to be on these forums:

How do you "rest" with Delfador?

In the mission intro and the wiki description, it says that letting Delfador rest for a turn will allow him to locate the Scepter of Fire. And I can't figure out how to do that. I assume it means keeping him stationary, but nothing I try works. I've sat him in his start position, sat him in villages, and sat him on open ground. I've even gotten him damaged and waited until he started naturally healing. I've tried all these things for multiple turns, but nothing happens.

I could probably beat the mission without doing this, but it's really bothering me. I've searched for answers, but no one else seems to be talking about this, so I assume it's something I just missed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Heir to the Throne 17-Scepter of Fire question

Post by josteph »

Welcome to the forums!

What's the version of wesnoth?

In the latest version (1.14.6), to "rest" Delfador, don't move him, so his orb stays green when you end your turn. If you do it right, you will see the text Concentrating float from Delfador when you end the turn, and Delfador will speak at the beginning of your next turn.

The objectives dialog says "If Delfador rests, he can concentrate on the location of the Sceptre of Fire." Can you propose a different/clearer way to word this?

(By the way: if you're using a recent 1.14, try recruiting a Merman :D)
Some_Scribe

Post by Some_Scribe »

Good morning, josteph. Thank you for the reply!

I have version 1.14.4 installed. The App Store says this is the most recent version, so maybe Apple hasn't updated it yet?

I tried what you said and didn't move or touch Delfador for the first couple turns (in other words he sat right where he started the scenario with his icon green). Nothing happened.

The dialogue seems clear enough; I made the connection that I shouldn't move him right away. My problem is that he won't concentrate when I do that.

(I tried recruiting and recalling a Merman. Also nothing.)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It doesn't look like 1.14.5/1.14.6 has been released for iPad yet.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Some_Scribe wrote: March 24th, 2019, 5:25 pm I tried what you said and didn't move or touch Delfador for the first couple turns (in other words he sat right where he started the scenario with his icon green). Nothing happened.
That should have worked. The code is right there:

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... #L600-L615
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... #L644-L677

It hasn't changed since 1.14.4, and it works for me on latest 1.14. Could this be an issue with the iOS port?

Moved to tech support.
Some_Scribe wrote: March 24th, 2019, 5:25 pm (I tried recruiting and recalling a Merman. Also nothing.)
I'm afraid you need 1.14.5 for that.
Some_Scribe

Post by Some_Scribe »

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll keep playing around with the game and see if I can figure it out.

UPDATE: After trying a variety of scenarios where Delfador stood still for several turns as well as restarting the map entirely (AKA with the intro text), I gave up and found the Scepter of Fire without the concentration. It wasn't hard.

I could try replaying the preceding scenario to see if that fixes the issue.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I remember, the first time I played HttT, it took me a bit to figure out that "rest" meant "does not move". I agree, the random map is usually fairly straightfoward enough that you can send a few units each direction and find the Sceptre easily enough. I considered making the map a bit more complex, so there would be more false paths, but that's too much work. Maybe, someday, we can do that; then Delfador's ability would be a lot more help.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.